2 love birds died

Kojo

Mar 8, 2023
Parrots
Love birds and parrotlet
Hi. Two of my little guys passed away, I have no idea what the cause was, they just suddenly died.

I recently adopted these two baby lovebirds last October. They seemed very healthy and they would play all the time and were the cutest little joys to have around. They werenā€™t hand tamed so I was working with them both and I got them a few days ago to finally jump on my hand šŸ„¹, I was transitioning them onto pellets from seed, so they eat like a mix of seeds and pellets and they loved it, they always had fresh water and food and would come out daily to hang around with me. A few weeks ago we bought them a little grass hut for their house and they loved it.

I gave them fresh food and water as always yesterday, and I got home from work today to see if they had touched it but they didnā€™t. They chewed a hole at the top of their grass/ straw hut and I peeked in there to see if there were there and they wereā€¦. One was laying on his back and the other was hunched over him. They literally died suddenly. I donā€™t know if they have been ill for a while and I havenā€™t caught it because they hide sicknesses well. I do have candles in my room but I donā€™t light them often and I keep my window open when I do. I donā€™t know what happened but I am scared for my other bird, a little parrotlet, since they lived in the same room in spectate cages. If you guys have any idea or advice I am all ears. Even a general idea would be great just so I donā€™t have to loose my other baby bird. Thank you guys. RIP Lloyd and RIP Harry šŸ˜”šŸ„¹šŸ˜ž

Attachments

• A25D45E1-8B54-4EF7-97F7-055EAC1C889C.jpeg
    A25D45E1-8B54-4EF7-97F7-055EAC1C889C.jpeg
    289.2 KB · Views: 47

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so sorry for your loss of Lloyd and Harry, how awful to lose them both at once.
This sounds like it could be more environmental to me rather than an illness because they passed at the same time.
Where did you get the grass hut? If you didn't get it at a place specifically for birds and has a smell, it could have been treated with pesticides before you got it.

Candles, even burned for a few minutes can be very dangerous for a bird, so I would suggest you don't burn them anywhere near your parrotlet. I haven't ever heard of a candle killing 2 birds this fast, perhaps someone else has.

Do you have an avian vet you could take your parrotlet to to have a work-up in case it is an illness?
My post has possibilities I thought of but I'm not a vet, please keep that in mind. I strongly suggest a vet visit for your parrotlet to be on the safe side.

Here is a list of Avian Vets we created by country:

Avian Vet Resources

I'm not sure when they passed, but if it was within the last three days I think they can still do a necropsy as long as their precious little bodies were refrigerated.

There are so many things that it could be, did you by any chance clean your stove using the self-cleaning option? If you can, I'd suggest trying to remember if there is anything else that was different. New cleaner? New scent of candles? Air freshener?

Again, I'm so very sorry for your loss, but I'm glad you joined us.
If you'd like you can feel free to post about them in the Bereavement Forum as well, and tell us more about their lives.
Fly free together, sweet little Lovies, together forever, and loved and remembered forever.

OP
K

Kojo

Mar 8, 2023
Parrots
Love birds and parrotlet
I'm so sorry for your loss of Lloyd and Harry, how awful to lose them both at once.
This sounds like it could be more environmental to me rather than an illness because they passed at the same time.
Where did you get the grass hut? If you didn't get it at a place specifically for birds and has a smell, it could have been treated with pesticides before you got it.

Candles, even burned for a few minutes can be very dangerous for a bird, so I would suggest you don't burn them anywhere near your parrotlet. I haven't ever heard of a candle killing 2 birds this fast, perhaps someone else has.

Do you have an avian vet you could take your parrotlet to to have a work-up in case it is an illness?
My post has possibilities I thought of but I'm not a vet, please keep that in mind. I strongly suggest a vet visit for your parrotlet to be on the safe side.

Here is a list of Avian Vets we created by country:

Avian Vet Resources

I'm not sure when they passed, but if it was within the last three days I think they can still do a necropsy as long as their precious little bodies were refrigerated.

There are so many things that it could be, did you by any chance clean your stove using the self-cleaning option? If you can, I'd suggest trying to remember if there is anything else that was different. New cleaner? New scent of candles? Air freshener?

Again, I'm so very sorry for your loss, but I'm glad you joined us.
If you'd like you can feel free to post about them in the Bereavement Forum as well, and tell us more about their lives.
Fly free together, sweet little Lovies, together forever, and loved and remembered forever.
Thank you for your reply, I always used the same sent for my candles and I never saw or had a problem with my birds in the past but I did switch to a different sent and a different brand. I got the hut from a plant nursery that keeps birds there in the summers and the tag on the hut said ā€œsafe for all birdsā€ but I should have done more research on that one, I didnā€™t even think about pesticides. One thing I forgot to mention is that we usually keep chickens too. We just bought baby chicks about a week ago and one chick died. I am going to try to get my parrotlet in as soon as possible and disinfect everything I can. Thank you for your advice and thought on this matter šŸ™‚

Most Reactions

Latest posts