Pyrhurra conures types - part 2: Species

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I decided to choose the most common species. Sure, other species are bred too, but they are very rare.
Notes:
  • As "characteristics" I wanted to write only the most characteristic things in theirs plumage, which may help in recognizing from other species. Sometimes I had some problems with that, if you want, you can suggest to add something.
  • All species have similar behavior because they belong to one genus. However I've heard such things like rose crowned conures are the least nippy, Emma's conures are more quiet than other Pyrhurra's.
  • All species officially are called as "parakeets" (green cheeked parakeet, crimson bellied parakeet etc.). Commonly it is replaced with "conure".
  • There are many classification versions of this genus. I used IOC version.
Green cheeked conure (Pyrrhura molinae)
1643999905366.png

Source: Wikimedia
Subspecies:
  • P. m. australis, Todd 1915
  • P. m. flavoptera, Maijer, Herzog, Kessler, Friggens & Fjeldsa 1998
  • P. m. hypoxantha,(Salvadori 1899)
  • P. m. molinae, (Massena & Souance 1854)
  • P. m. phoenicura, (Schlegel 1864)
  • P. m. restricta, Todd 1947
In captivity the most common subspecies are P. m. molinae and P. m. hypoxantha.
Range:
1643999983929.png

Because it is the most common species, I decided to not describe (and you see on the photo)
Blue throated conure (Pyrrhura cruentata)
1644000071281.png

Aka: Ochre-marked conure/parakeet
Subspecies: none
Range:
1644000110234.png

Souce: Wikimedia
Characteristics: the blue throat
Note: It’s the only species of this genus which belongs to CITES appendix I. If you decide to buy them, make sure you get the necessary documents (in the case of other species it depends on the law in your country)
Maroon bellied conure (Pyrrhura frontalis)
1644000192971.png

Subspecies:
  • Maroon bellied parakeet (Pyrrhura frontalis frontalis)
  • Azara’s conure (Pyrrhura frontalis chiripepe)
Range:
1644000323675.png

Characteristics: The cap is green, outside of the tail is green too. The belly is more um... maroon.
Pearly conure (Pyrrhura lepida)
1644000408880.png

Subspecies: P. l. lepida, P. l. anerythra, P. l. coerulescens
Range:
1644000435096.png

Characteristics: They may be confused with young crimson bellied conures. No red feathers on the belly.
Crimson bellied conure (Pyrrhura perlata)
1644000537175.png

Range:
1644000572754.png

Characteristic: The red belly.

Last edited:
OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Emma’s Conure (Pyrhurra emma)
1644000782582.png

Source: eBird
In the past it was a subspecies of P. leucotis (white-eared/maroon faced conure), so sometimes you can find an old classification. (eg. in Poland we must register Emma’s conures as white-eared conures)
Range:
1644000861122.png

Source: IUCN
Characteristics: brown cheeks, blueish crown
Rose fronted conure (Pyrrhura roseifrons)
1644000950521.png

Subspecies:
  • Wavy-breasted parakeet/conure (P. r. peruviana)
  • P. r. dilutissima
  • Garlepp’s parakeet (P. r. parvifons)
  • P. r. roseifrons
Wavy-breasted and Garlepp’s parakeets sometimes are classified as separated species.
Range:
1644001119114.png

Source: IUCN
Characteristics: brown head with red forehead.
Black capped conure (Pyrrhura rupicola)
1644001226534.png

Subspecies:
  • P. r. rupicola
  • P. r. sandiae
Range:
1644001243234.png

Characteristics: feathers on the neck are black with white edges.
Rose crowned conure (Pyrrhura rhodocephala)
1644001331456.png

Range:
1644001361106.png

Characteristics: green head with red forhead, cap

Other species (+photos link)

Attachments

• 1644001217783.png
    1644001217783.png
    403.6 KB · Views: 96
  • 1644001321694.png
    1644001321694.png
    673.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Sooo interesting!!!! My favourite genus for sure :D

Interesting how you call P.leucotis as "maroon faced" in polish, it's more known as "white eared" conure (hence the 'leuco' meaning white).

Was hoping to see painted conure D: super gooorgeous species.. (fun fact: it is believed that there are sooo many different species/subspecies who are under P. Picta and P.leucotis since they all look alike!!)

Amazing informative thread as always ❤️❤️❤️

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Sooo interesting!!!! My favourite genus for sure :D

Interesting how you call P.leucotis as "maroon faced" in polish, it's more known as "white eared" conure (hence the 'leuco' meaning white).

Was hoping to see painted conure D: super gooorgeous species.. (fun fact: it is believed that there are sooo many different species/subspecies who are under P. Picta and P.leucotis since they all look alike!!)

Amazing informative thread as always ❤️❤️❤️
sorry, I took P. leucotis name from Wikipedia and didn't know which version is more common, I'll correct it to "white eared conure" (it wasn't translation from Polish - it would be "rusty-cheeked pyrhurra" then)

Ps. Thank you :)

Last edited:
OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
(fun fact: it is believed that there are sooo many different species/subspecies who are under P. Picta and P.leucotis since they all look alike!!)
Yeah, their classification is VERY complicated. Here in Poland most breeders use the old classification version and after I posted the Polish version (I chose the same species with one difference - Emma's conure was a subspecies of the painted conure), one breeder said that I've made two mistakes - because Emma's is a subspecies of the white eared and rose fronted is a subspecies of the painted conure.... They weren't mistakes. It's just because there are MANY classification versions. I think it's maybe because CITES classification is never updated and because of it we have to register them using the old version (according to the current cladogram of this genus, the old version is wrong now)

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Yeah, their classification is VERY complicated. Here in Poland most breeders use the old classification version and after I posted the Polish version (I chose the same species with one difference - Emma's conure was a subspecies of the painted conure), one breeder said that I've made two mistakes - because Emma's is a subspecies of the white eared and rose fronted is a subspecies of the painted conure.... They weren't mistakes. It's just because there are MANY classification versions. I think it's maybe because CITES classification is never updated and because of it we have to register them using the old version (according to the current cladogram of this genus, the old version is wrong now)
Agreed. It is very difficult. Some people will put emma as separate species, some still find it as a sub species... And truth be told, I don't blame them at all! Took me a while to understand why people mix - as you said, because the taxonomy just keeps changing by the scientists all the time.

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Curio: to post the range map of the rose fronted conure including all subspecies in used by me classification I needed to combine 3 ranges (rose fronted, wavy breasted and Garlepp's conures). That's why some areas overlap.

Most Reactions

Latest posts