Quaker and Budgies?

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Hello everyone!
I'm looking for some expert thoughts/opinions regarding my Quaker Parrot, JJ and my Budgies Fay and Cooper. JJ just joined us about six months ago as an emergency foster turned permanent resident. The scenario is this: Both birds are in the same room; I have a family member who is allergic to birds so all birds stay in the bird room but still get plenty of interaction with people. The budgies are free to fly all day; I only lock them in their cage at night. JJ's cage is only open when I'm home (a good part of every day) although I'm not actually in the room all the time. The budgie cage is on a table against one wall, JJ's double cage is on the top bunk of a bunk bed. This has worked out great as JJ cannot fly and the budgies have never really been interested in the top bunk. In this way, JJ has the whole top bunk with outside perches and a play area, and the budgies have the rest of the room. However, recently I have found my female budgie, Fay, who is a Bold Adventurer, perched on or near JJ's cage. On his outside rope perch, his natural branch play perch, on the top of his open cage door. Each time, JJ seems aware of her being there and completely unconcerned, but I can't help but be concerned! JJ will be aggressive with people other than me getting too close to/messing with his cage and I wonder if Fay could do something to trigger him to lash out at her. Fay has been around other birds her whole life and I hope would be able to read body language and fly out of there and JJ can't fly. But I don't know if he could be quick enough to bite her. There is zero aggression right now, not even any actual interaction, but the size difference is so significant. Has anyone else had budgies and bigger birds in the same room? Is this dangerous? Or am I worrying over nothing? Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated!

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hello everyone!
I'm looking for some expert thoughts/opinions regarding my Quaker Parrot, JJ and my Budgies Fay and Cooper. JJ just joined us about six months ago as an emergency foster turned permanent resident. The scenario is this: Both birds are in the same room; I have a family member who is allergic to birds so all birds stay in the bird room but still get plenty of interaction with people. The budgies are free to fly all day; I only lock them in their cage at night. JJ's cage is only open when I'm home (a good part of every day) although I'm not actually in the room all the time. The budgie cage is on a table against one wall, JJ's double cage is on the top bunk of a bunk bed. This has worked out great as JJ cannot fly and the budgies have never really been interested in the top bunk. In this way, JJ has the whole top bunk with outside perches and a play area, and the budgies have the rest of the room. However, recently I have found my female budgie, Fay, who is a Bold Adventurer, perched on or near JJ's cage. On his outside rope perch, his natural branch play perch, on the top of his open cage door. Each time, JJ seems aware of her being there and completely unconcerned, but I can't help but be concerned! JJ will be aggressive with people other than me getting too close to/messing with his cage and I wonder if Fay could do something to trigger him to lash out at her. Fay has been around other birds her whole life and I hope would be able to read body language and fly out of there and JJ can't fly. But I don't know if he could be quick enough to bite her. There is zero aggression right now, not even any actual interaction, but the size difference is so significant. Has anyone else had budgies and bigger birds in the same room? Is this dangerous? Or am I worrying over nothing? Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated!
I let my budgies out with my Quaker.
He opens his beak and makes a small chase if they get too close but never pursues beyond that.
All I could say is try and see what his reaction is to her getting close.

Also, if he tries to bite her toes through the bars, you could set a quilt on top of his cage it seagrass mats, it helps with toe grabbing.

OP
J

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
I let my budgies out with my Quaker.
He opens his beak and makes a small chase if they get too close but never pursues beyond that.
All I could say is try and see what his reaction is to her getting close.

Also, if he tries to bite her toes through the bars, you could set a quilt on top of his cage it seagrass mats, it helps with toe grabbing.
That’s good to hear and makes me feel better, thank you! I will keep watching them closely but he really has seemed fine with her so far. None of my birds seem to be toe grabbers but the sea grass mats is a great idea!

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
My Quaker also has just open-mouth chased other birds so far. He's still young and is starting to be more cage protective so I have a piece of acrylic I bought at Home Depot on top of his cage just in case. I like the seagrass mat idea!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I litterally house budgies with my quaker. One is her boyfreind. House is a mess in some of these but we've all been there, I cleanied...I promise.
20220505_164429.jpg
20220328_143447.jpg
20230104_071837.jpg

The yellow one is her constant companion now, not sure what the white one did to get "freind zoned".

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
also this....

OP
J

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
I litterally house budgies with my quaker. One is her boyfreind. House is a mess in some of these but we've all been there, I cleanied...I promise.View attachment 50470 View attachment 50472View attachment 50471

The yellow one is her constant companion now, not sure what the white one did to get "freind zoned".
Thank you so much for sharing! I’m definitely feeling less nervous about having them in the same room now that I know other people do that successfully. Your birds are adorable together! As for the clean ( or not clean) house, you definitely won’t get judgement from me lol! I just moved a cage of chicken chicks out of the basement to the coop so at least it smells better in my house now.

OP
J

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
My Quaker also has just open-mouth chased other birds so far. He's still young and is starting to be more cage protective so I have a piece of acrylic I bought at Home Depot on top of his cage just in case. I like the seagrass mat idea!
Thank you so much for sharing this!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
Also all my birds are fully flighted, the Quaker can chase them but never does. All the big birds (conures, quakers) accept the budgies as like kid birds.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
I think my favorite part of the video is the GCC is just like.....I got a treat stick, whatever.....you deal with it.

OP
J

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
I think my favorite part of the video is the GCC is just like.....I got a treat stick, whatever.....you deal with it.
Also all my birds are fully flighted, the Quaker can chase them but never does. All the big birds (conures, quakers) accept the budgies as like kid birds.
“kid birds,” I like that, ha ha! JJ probably does just see Fay as a slightly annoying younger sister.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
They hang out with them. Sometimes the budgies get a little bit ....lets be friends and the bigger birds are like "I'm busy" but nothing seriouse has ever gone down.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I like the bigger white bird (what kind?) that looks like he's trying to referee the budgie fight or get in on it but the budgies are just ignoring him!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
Crossover Quaker.....you can see it started out inside the other cage then flew to intervene.

Most Reactions

Latest posts