Quaker broken leg question

shynook11

Oct 26, 2010
Longwood Florida
Parrots
Female Eclectus
2 Lutino Lovebirds
2 Budgies
I have a bonded pair of birds.....a quaker and a sun conure. The quaker has a broken leg and is currently in a plastic tub, with heat bad underneath, following all vet instruction to ensure quiet healing. My question is, should I keep the conure in there with her? They are very upset when they are not together and I was wondering if this would hinder or help the healing process. When they are seperated they squawk endlessly for each other. I was thinking if they were together it would be less stressful for her. Help?:green1::green2::red::whiteblue::whiteblue::orange::orange:

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
If they were my birds, I would let them be in the same cage, hospital type or other, provided it is large enough. A bonded pair will care for each other...and...the non-injured bird will know that its mate is injured and not do anything to continue or worsen the injury.

Plus, I would think that being together would help with recovery as it would remove the stress caused by their separation.

NWQuakers

Jan 6, 2013
Everson, WA
Parrots
Lucky, Quaker, abt 18/male?
Previous birds: 2 Quakers, 2 budgies, Nanday conure, Indian ringneck, 2 tiels, Red Lory, 300+ finches.
If the conure doesn't make the quaker agitated enough to move around I'd let them together. Otherwise I'd move them as close as possible so they could talk to each other.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I would have to agree with the above two posters about leaving them together. It will make the injured one more comfortable and begin the healing process. Good Luck!

Most Reactions

Latest posts