Quaker + lovebird issues?

MAYAPAVING

Sep 5, 2013
PLEASE HELP!

I've had 2 lovebirds + 1 quaker in the same cage (big) for about a year now, they seem to get along fine (??) The quaker will sometimes chase one of the lovebirds with beak open i guess trying to bite but does't cause the lovebird knows shes coming and jumps around and thats as far as it goes (i think).

Recently another (3rd) lovebird flew into our house to we ended up adopting it. The quaker will do the same thing to it and it will also hop away but this one stays at the lower end of the cage, and it appears like everytime she comes up the quaker will do the same tihing. I guess shes being territorial (??). I dont know if its just because the new one is shy right now and she will eventually get over it so to speak.

I have a second smaller (although still ok size) cage that we have started putting the quaker in but she DOES NOT like it and she will fuzz. I am worried she might develop some anger issues towards the little ones.

I do not know if i should just keep them in the same cage and they will eventually get along ok since there is real physical interaction going on. Mind you they get out of their cage in the afternoon and aside from the quaker sometimes chasing them nothing happens and they (the two older ones) just jump to another place and move on with their life apparently unfaced.

Also, can a quaker be trained not to chase the little ones? If i am there and i say something she will stop.:green2: Any input is appreciated I truly want to make my birds happy.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
If you have any issues housing different birds together then you need to keep them separated.

In the case of a new bird, especially with a bird you don't know, you should quarantine the new bird from your flock to ensure it is healthy.

How big is the cage? Is it possible to get another large cage just for the quaker?

Yes, it is possible to train the quaker to not chase the lovebirds but it would take some time and dedication on teaching her to station and leave them alone.

jugoya

Mar 7, 2013
Shreveport, La USA
Parrots
Porter (Broto); Fuggles(Budgie)
How big is the second cage?

Dimensions would be nice to know.. because really unless you have an aviary.. housing different speices of birds together can be dangerous.

OP
M

MAYAPAVING

Sep 5, 2013
THE general cage is 3X5X4 feet and the second one is about 3X3X3 feet. They spend the day outside and round 6pm we let them out to frolic around the house.

In general they would seem to be fine but i do notice she sometimes chases them around... but most of the times they groom and eat together
one of the older lovebirds chases the new one too so i dont know... The new one groom etc but he just seems so shy (been with me 2 days) but he seems like he has started to jump around from her like the other ones.

how do i train her not to chase them? How do i know if the other ones are afraid? because they seem fine.most of the time... They all eat and groom and take baths despite all this. I dont know if it is just me exagerating normal behavior...

OP
M

MAYAPAVING

Sep 5, 2013
I ended up putting a fence like material to the bottom 2 feet of my cage in such a way that the small ones can fit through but the quaker could not follow, so in a way i created a cage within the cage.

They all seem fine now and it all stopped when my husband and I keep letting her now that it was not acceptable behavious. We would clap or make noise and say no, and "pay attention" (stretch our neck and stare) whenever she started to walk towards the bird. She ended up not chasing him anymore :)

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Blueridge

Sep 16, 2013
North Carolina
Parrots
Rocky - Yellow-Faced Quaker Parrot
Quaker Parrots have instincts to chase away intruders that come into their territory. They are very territorial birds. Your quaker will most likely only chase though, and won't attack. I would suggest maybe trying to separate your cage to keep the lovebirds away from your quaker. Or maybe try to implement negative reinforcement when you see your quaker start to chase your lovebirds. Good luck!

*Squawks and flies away* :greenyellow:

Most Reactions