Quakers foot bleeding

OP
B

BigBranton

Nov 2, 2021
Parrots
Quaker
Im Branton's Auntie now ! Quakers are my love, I have 4.
Definitely not something you did.
Excellent to catch a systematic illness as early as possible.
Chlamydia psittaci is real possibility its common. Its treatable and doxycline is the drug of choice for 45 days. It's treated for so long because it likes to go dormant and hide. Many parrots can have a chronic hidden form only to break with active infection years later.
Not that I can say from here what your birds has.. I'm just sharing from my experience.

If I hadn't recommended weight checks yet, let me so. Having a digital kitchen scale and weigh in grams your bird weekly and log, daily when health issues. This weight check can be a life saver , as most burds start dropping weight when any health issues. And weight checks let's you pick this up way before the " sick burd symptoms " because burds hide being sick. So when you have duck burd symptoms they are usually critically ill.

Extra warmth is very healing and supportive fir duck birds. I recommend radiant heat , never a heat lamp. I use sweeter heater, but many use the K&H cage warmer.

Burds also burn up 3x the calories when sick, so go ahead and have a millet spray available, offer a little warm cooked plain pasta, any foods they like within reason. Not sugary foods or fruits as digestive imbalance.

Little info on potential possible , could have bern exposed at pet store , at breeders, from other people who have parrots. Its just one of those things that's in parrot population. ( many birds never have symptoms, or have mild symptoms and recover, but young birds can become very sick and even die. ),

Supporting care tips
Would that have shown up on a fecal test? Or only blood draw?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hey, its ok , a lot of young burds can have some minor health issues.

Unfortunately some conditions like I mentioned are intermittent shedding. So false negative are extremely common. Even with an active infection its difficult to culture. It is not something routinely tested for at 99% of breeders or pet stores, or even at your first well burd check up after getting a bird. I personally feel it should be considered. But a healthy burd with no symptoms will test negative. It's a tricky bacteria and hides and goes dormant. Many burds can over come it with out ever showing symptoms. And on the other hand it can be cause of sudden death in young birds. Or something in the middle like yours, ( IF It EVEN has this particular bacteria) where they have done symptoms and respond quickly and recover with antibiotics. But a bird with symptoms and not treated can get very sick and even die.

Most pet stores just test for PBFD, or a couple if the worst viruses.

I just share a lot of information, to raise our group awareness.

And I took in an escaped budgie, it brought in chlamydia to my flock ( a wild bird strain) that nearly killed one. And made all very sick, and I had relapses. So its something I've had to learn a bunch about

Most Reactions