Quanity of food..

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
...Amy,like most 'zon's ( I think!) is a chow hound. He loves to eat,has a hearty and healthy appetite.
So,when he gets his nummies I fill his bowl at least half way...sometimes more.
Of course he doesn't eat it ALL,alot ends up on his basement floor,or out his open window onto the living room floor,where Beebs will end up picking at whatever he can find :rolleyes:

So,you folks who have one of the "hot"three..how much do you actually put in their bowl?
Amy gets fed twice a day...brekky and linner,and has his "snack/emergency bowl" always at beak,which contains a well-known companies product of seed,also pellets,with occasional nutraberries or cheerio's. That's usually Amy's last resort. I am very proud AND grateful he prefers his nummy bowl.

I don't weigh him ( don't have a scale but will look on Amazon for one)
His weight (according to his CAV) has always been in good standing,except for one time,he was referred to has..ummm..."a porker" :eek: at 528 g's
Usually he is between 485 to 490 something. A couple years back when we went to visit Salty and Al's family, I think he was 504 g's.

So...please give your thoughts! :)

Jim
( See 'Boat's..I did it again!! HE...not SHE..lol)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi Jim. Salty is not a hot 3 'zon, but I offer a look at his eating habbit. He gets about 3 teaspoons of pellets, 2 walnut guts and a few cherios for breakfast. Around 1 PM he gets lunch, 2 kinds of fruit and the dinner which is chop, about 3-4 tablespoons worth and some Avicake mixed .
He leaves some of the pellets, a small bit of the fruit is left on his boingy grating, and he leaves some , maybe a tablespoons worth of the chop. His weight has been a steady 287-291 gr for months and months. We weight him 2-3 times a week. To me, Amy looks fine, a bit chunky, but he's an Amazon, who are chunky by nature.

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Thanks Al..the only reason I said "hot three" is coz they are the beefiest..and was the reason I didn't mention Salty.
Amys nummy bowl holds 18 oz of water, with about an inch to spare to the top.
So,with "food" in general,it would be less..more bulk.

So, what should I give him per meal? A cup's size? If you read my "chop chop" thread,yesterday I finally did it..I was thinking about you lol...one of your threads you said you made 42 or so sammich bags of chop! Damn buddy...that must of took all day lol..I know it took me a couple hours for just fourteen bags lol.

Jim

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Random encouraging thought.
I'd rather have an over-eater than an undereater like the Rb. At least you can MAKE a bird lose weight by altering diet. You can't MAKE a bird eat, though. Rbird is skinny, always has been. Hyperactive. Jumpy. Constantly into something. Suspicious. Excitable. I've tried everything, in consultation with my world-class avian vet. He once said that maybe the Rb is just the Don Knots of the parrot world.
So take heart, Jim!

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Random encouraging thought.
I'd rather have an over-eater than an undereater like the Rb. At least you can MAKE a bird lose weight by altering diet. You can't MAKE a bird eat, though. Rbird is skinny, always has been. Hyperactive. Jumpy. Constantly into something. Suspicious. Excitable. I've tried everything, in consultation with my world-class avian vet. He once said that maybe the Rb is just the Don Knots of the parrot world.
So take heart, Jim!

LOL..."Don Knots of the parrot world" Ya...that guy was a skinny rascal now,wasn't he??
Thanks for the encouragement Ms Gail! ;)

Jim

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Not a zon but As a bird in Amy’s weight class (425g), I target 1/4 cup per meal. There’s usually some left over but it all gets picked over.

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Not a zon but As a bird in Amy’s weight class (425g), I target 1/4 cup per meal. There’s usually some left over but it all gets picked over.

Wow...1/4 cup seems...meager..in Amy's eyes ( and mine really!) I guess it comes down to "quality"..NOT " quanity"

Thanks Chris for the input!

Jim

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Very active Parrots are skinny Parrots with the exception of big Flight Muscles! With this discussion covering Amy, a Parrot that is just starting to develop Flight Muscles and RP, a Parrot that has been a long time flier and having a very long history of a diet that it seems to be a combination of eating pellets and chilies, clearly they have very different requirements.

With Amy, the discussion of how much cannot begin until you know Amy's weight and to what level it is varying as flapping activities are increased and as the Chop becomes more common.

At first, you will want to obtain a daily weight, taken each morning, prior to providing food and water and after the first moment of the day. This needs to happen over several weeks to get a understanding of his numbers. Then and only then are you in a position to look at volume vs. quality.

With RB, you are already monitoring his weight and you are at a point that will require a discussion with his CAV to determine if you should be looking at minor changes to his diet. Possible a formulation change.

Last edited:
OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Thank you Steven...I am about to google a couple sites to find the best bang for the buck for a scale. It'll be beneficial I know,not only for Amy,but also BB.

Jim

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

fowlstack

Jul 19, 2016
Spring, Texas
Parrots
'Rio' - Mexican Red Head Amazon (2016)
I purchased a " kitchen scale" or digital scale on Amazon as well. I just wrapped it in a paper towel and Rio gets on it with no problem. They normally range between 10 to $20 and they are super effective. Here is a picture of mine;
Good luck
409347ed4813c7f0334ccc65e6d27661.jpg

Sent from my SM-T337T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

I purchased a " kitchen scale" or digital scale on Amazon as well. I just wrapped it in a paper towel and Rio gets on it with no problem. They normally range between 10 to $20 and they are super effective. Here is a picture of mine;
Good luck
409347ed4813c7f0334ccc65e6d27661.jpg

Sent from my SM-T337T using Tapatalk

I appreciate the photo...really.
The link Tami sent to me of the one she got from Amazon...well the item kind of pricey in my mind,but I AM a believer of "you get what you paid for".

Jim

Most Reactions

Latest posts