Queen of Bavaria Conure

Bandespresso

Dec 22, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Congo African Grey+
Worked closely with many species, birds with behavioral problems, and now birds of prey and other wildlife
I was at the bird store today getting some food for my CAG and I started playing with some of the birds there (big mistake hahaha) and I fell in LOVE with this adorable Queen of Bavaria Conure who was, sadly, spoken for already. I seriously had her on her back and all snuggly in no time. I have never considered a conure as a second bird before (out of all my bites from everything from a gallah to a macaw, my worst bite was from a conure) but this species seems totally different from other conures. I was just wondering if there are any QOB parronts here who can give me a little insight on them? I'm going to eventually get a birdy buddy for Espresso and this species is definitely on my short list :D

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
I don't have one, but there was a lady on this forum who had two as far as I remember (but that was a while ago). Golden conures are so beautiful and very rare where I live. I never saw one for sale and would love to see one in person. :)

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
There was one at our local shop a while back. She was pretty sweet, but I think most conures are.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Seeing that you live relatively close to me, I think I know where you went :). He breeds them and has the beauties at all of his stores every season. Still always expensive.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
They're critically endangered and supposed to be federal permit only birds...

But of course, there's no enforcement, so money talks...

These birds belong in captive breeding programs, but they are beautiful and conure charming, so they are sold in the pet trade...

OP
Bandespresso

Bandespresso

Dec 22, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Congo African Grey+
Worked closely with many species, birds with behavioral problems, and now birds of prey and other wildlife
Seeing that you live relatively close to me, I think I know where you went :). He breeds them and has the beauties at all of his stores every season. Still always expensive.

You probably guessed correctly! Yeah he definitely is one of the pricier folks around...but price isn't really an issue when it is about the perfect addition to your family. My biggest issue would be the moral "there are so many birds that need homes why buy from a breeder" issue.

OP
Bandespresso

Bandespresso

Dec 22, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Congo African Grey+
They're critically endangered and supposed to be federal permit only birds...

But of course, there's no enforcement, so money talks...

These birds belong in captive breeding programs, but they are beautiful and conure charming, so they are sold in the pet trade...

Well then that's a big fat nope for me. Unless I happen to magically find one in a rescue, I will definitely not support that. Of course that's unfortunately the case for a whole lot of parrots sold in the pet trade :blue:

kalypso123

Aug 16, 2014
Media
Tallahassee, Florida
Parrots
Cockatiel- Kalypso
I think Golden Conures are beautiful but then all birds are (IMO). I mean you will most likely not find one in a rescue but you also have to remember that bird deserves a loving home too. I hope this just helps with the moral aspect of buying a pet.

Minimaker

Jul 29, 2014
Illinois
Parrots
GW Macaw-Sailor, Goffins Cockatoo Mako, GC Conure-Tazzy, Turquoise Conure Yuki, Budgies-Percy, Annabeth, Elsa
If they are critically endangered isn't it a good thing there are some bred in captivity? If the wild population goes under they can work on re-population with what's preserved in captivity. Isn't it illegal to import parrots into the US now? So all there are is what we already have. (Or I would hope so anyway) That's one way to look at it, at least the species could be saved like with the Blue Spix Macaws situation. The more bred, the more chances to save them from total extinction. A larger gene pool as well, so less genetic problems from inbreeding.

OP
Bandespresso

Bandespresso

Dec 22, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Congo African Grey+
Of course all birds are beautiful and deserve loving homes! My getting a second bird won't be happening in the near future so I will probably end up just going with the flow, volunteering, and letting my next bird choose me just like I did with my CAG. I am totally okay with folks buying birds from breeders but I just personally prefer not to perpetuate breeding critically endangered animals as pets. She was just so stinking cute! :D

Breeding critically endangered animals for pets RARELY helps replenish the wild population. The only way that would help is if some birds went to zoos or sanctuaries specifically devoted to breeding birds to be released in the wild. As wonderful as it would be if that would be the case, unfortunately most breed solely for profit (especially the gentleman who breeds birds for the store I went to). If I were to find a breeder who is devoted to the wild population as well as the captive population, I would totally be willing to purchase from them! But that is about as likely as finding one in a rescue. Additionally, I have a big beautiful Belgian Draft horse I have to throw money at first before even thinking about another bird :D

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
Golden conures are very similar to sun conures in their behaviour. They make good pets, but like mentioned they are endangered in the wild - just like sun conures.

Minimaker

Jul 29, 2014
Illinois
Parrots
GW Macaw-Sailor, Goffins Cockatoo Mako, GC Conure-Tazzy, Turquoise Conure Yuki, Budgies-Percy, Annabeth, Elsa
I was just thinking if there hadn't been some blue spix left in captivity they would most certainly be completely gone from the world now. They would be completely extinct. Man will be man no matter what it costs the world. They won't stop taking them from the wild no matter how nice it would be for everyone else if they didn't. But sadly it's never gonna happen. At least conservationists do have the chance to borrow or buy from private owners to repopulate if all go missing from the wild right? Some left somewhere is better than none at all no matter where they live. That was my only point, however valid or invalid it seems. Look at the situation with black rhinos, they never stop killing them for their horns no matter how critically endangered they are, do they? They don't care if they all die out so long as they get their money at the time they need it. It saddens me to no end what happens to the natural places and wonderful creatures of this world. Unless governments take a more firm stand against poachers nothing ever stops them.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
If they are critically endangered isn't it a good thing there are some bred in captivity? If the wild population goes under they can work on re-population with what's preserved in captivity. Isn't it illegal to import parrots into the US now? So all there are is what we already have. (Or I would hope so anyway) That's one way to look at it, at least the species could be saved like with the Blue Spix Macaws situation. The more bred, the more chances to save them from total extinction. A larger gene pool as well, so less genetic problems from inbreeding.

Here is the federal information:

AFA Conservation

Apparently it is legal to sell them within the state that you breed them. If you sell them across state lines, it is supposed to be for captive breeding purposes only, and a Federal Permit is required to own one.

docrio

Jun 1, 2015
Hi all!
I was wondering if you could share the name of the place where you saw the Queen of Bavaria conure. I'm looking and would like to set up a pair.

docrio

Jun 1, 2015
Can anyone here share with me the name of the shop where they found a Queen of Bavaria? I'm interested in setting up a pair.
thanks

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Can anyone here share with me the name of the shop where they found a Queen of Bavaria? I'm interested in setting up a pair.
thanks

Where are you located? QOB are endangered, and depending on your location, you may need special permits to obtain one.

birdstheword

Aug 26, 2014
Colorado
Parrots
Marvel, 14-year-old Black Headed Caique
thanks

Idk where OP saw this one in the shop but there are golden conures on birdbreeders.com

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Hi all!
I was wondering if you could share the name of the place where you saw the Queen of Bavaria conure. I'm looking and would like to set up a pair.

The shop(s) is Omar's Exotic Birds. He ships anywhere in the US. Omar is also a parrot breeder, including some rare species, so you can inquire about perhaps obtaining parent raised birds? He can tell you what you need to have permit wise. He has a baby now at one of the stores (I saw it in person, very sweet) but it's a pet, not for breeding.
OMAR'S Exotic Birds :: Babies in Our Stores

amjokai

Apr 19, 2014
Wahiawa, Oahu, Hawaii
Parrots
Eclectus, Blue and Gold Macaw, Cockatiels, Ringnecks, Green Cheek Conure
They have some at the zoo here in Honolulu! They are absolutely amazing! I would love one someday, but it won't ever happen.

Most Reactions

Latest posts