Question about reproductive behaviors.

cloudyhelium

Jun 15, 2022
Parrots
Red-lored amazon hybrid
So, I'm not sure how old my bird is (she's a red-lored amazon hybrid). She's kind of a rescue (to put it in some way), and I've noticed some cooing/purring, puffing up, followed by her presenting her cloaca to me while I'm petting her. I've also noticed some occasional regurgitation when she's with me. (This happens a lot lately).

I know that these behaviors shouldn't be reinforced so I just ignore them and wait until she's not doing it anymore, but I'm kind of worried because I remember hearing that birds can get frustrated without partners, therefore, getting stressed. I've tried looking it up but I haven't found much. I also didn't know where to post this :/ I try really hard not to panic when I encounter situations where I don't know what to do but I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong here-

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I think in your situation its because she has been so starved for attention. Its pretty common response from a neglected bird that is suddenly get attention. They are so excited and want to cement the bond so they won't be abandon again. It will generally calm down.

Be gentle don't make her feel rejected. Stick to head scratches. She still needs the love and metal preening. Gently redirect with the other stuff. Like say hey Letts take a walk and look out the window.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
It sounds like you are doing a great job.
My Red lored Amazon Pacho (Female I think though never DNA tested) would get excited when with me.
She had a parrot mate (Plumas, Orange wing amazon) and I think that help keep her bonding to me as a secondary thing.

She never did lay eggs despite several seasons of mating with Plumas.

As a side note when I would spend time with Pacho, Plumas would get seriously upset with both of us.

OP
cloudyhelium

cloudyhelium

Jun 15, 2022
Parrots
Red-lored amazon hybrid
I think in your situation its because she has been so starved for attention. Its pretty common response from a neglected bird that is suddenly get attention. They are so excited and want to cement the bond so they won't be abandon again. It will generally calm down.

Be gentle don't make her feel rejected. Stick to head scratches. She still needs the love and metal preening. Gently redirect with the other stuff. Like say hey Letts take a walk and look out the window.
Awe yeah I'll try my very best :( thank you so much for the tip

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I'd follow the usual guidelines for reducing hormonal behavior: