Question on bonding

Lump

Feb 19, 2015
So my new baby meyers arrives on Thursday. He is a hand raised 13 week old male. He has been raised by a female, but she told me he loves her male friends!

Here's the thing. I have two friends I'm letting live at my house currently. Also my girlfriend will be living here until September than leaving to travel. They obviously won't be here forever, probably a year or two. They are very excited for the arrival of Petri, but aren't the ones making a 30 year commitment.

Here is my question:

Is there any way I can encourage the bird to bond with me? I know birds pick who they pick, but is there a way to strengthen my chances? I'm thinking of just me being the only one to interact with him for he first couple weeks. Any suggestions?

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Pois tend to be one person birds. If I were you I'd encourage him to spend time with everyone to combat that.

OP
L

Lump

Feb 19, 2015
Thanks for the reply!

I'm honestly not worried about him being socialized, always people at my house. Socialization can be worked on. Bonding is a lot harder to change from what I understand.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
You can't make a bird bond to you. They pick who they want, but honestly, if you're the one taking care of him it probably won't be an issue.

When I say socialization I mean others handling him. It's a good idea that everyone in the household be able to hold him.

A bird that will go to anyone is a much better bird than one that will only go to one person.

Most Reactions

Latest posts