Question on Foot Injury

imouse1

Oct 10, 2021
Media
NM
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure: Sir H. H. Gregg Q. T. Birb, III
Hello!

I "purchased" a GCC from a local pet shop and he had to be held overnight to be picked up for scheduling reasons. (Manager needed to get thep provenance paperwork together so I could make vet appointments, etc., so was just going to go back the next morning, nbd, whatever--gave me the chance to spruce up his cage.) My GCC got a foot injury that night so when I went back for him the next morning he was not allowed to be released. I found out my purchase had been reversed and that they needed vet permission for him to be released or handled.

That was about 3 weeks ago. I've gotten an evolving story from different members of staff. Prior to the purchase, I had gone to see see Sir Birb at least every other day for about a month. I had put it out to the universe the first time I saw him that if he was still there after 30 days he was meant to be mine. I never saw anyone ever stop for him. And from the first time I saw him he would follow back and forth in the cage. Because of COVID, they're not letting anyone handle animals right now but we would play through the glass--I would put my finger over different toys and he would go to them and show off for me. Let be today clear: I'm not wanting a bird. I'm wanting *this* bird.

The last time I saw him he was still giving me glass-blocked high fives and I had introduced him to my mom. He looked completely normal. The evolving story went from a foot injury and they were watching him to see if he could be released, to they needed approval to take him to a vet, to they needed vet approval to release him for sale, and now today the reason he needs to see the vet is because **he's shaking**. It's been a few years since I've had birds but thar honestly doesn't sound good--that sounds like blood poisoning. They won't let me go to the vet appointment with him tomorrow or tell me where he's going and I'm really worried he's going to be put to sleep because they're going to be unable to justify the cost of the merchandise. I have a few appointments in the morning but I'm going to head straight over after that to go check on him. I've tried to ask if they'll call me so I can take responsibility for him or let me put down a deposit on him so he can't be destroyed.

Does anyone know what possible injuries could last for 3 weeks without there being a sense of urgency that could also come with shaking? Should I cancel my appointments in the morning and just camp out waiting for someone to tell me about Sir Birb--spend all day making demands? I'm really worried about him and what Dr. GoogleVet is telling me is not helping because I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

TIA!

-Mouse

OP
imouse1

imouse1

Oct 10, 2021
Media
NM
Parrots
This is Sir Birb the last time I saw him. He looked perfectly great and normal
Edit" for some reason it didn't upload the original video so here is a screen recording of it haha

Attachments

• Screen_Recording_20211010-192415_Gallery.mp4
    5.6 MB
  • SmartSelect_20211010-192242_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20211010-192242_Chrome.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
I actually was in a similar situation - got the bird not because I wanted her but because she needed someone. She had a "severely impeded band". Have you seen her since they said she had a leg injury? It's very plausible she actually did have an injury. My bird was shaking due to infection and i imagine being in a he'll of a lot in pain. Honestly I'd contact the owner of the story...to see what's going on. Explain you purchased the bird and it was refunded. Your very attached to this bird and would like to continue the purchase despite future medical bills. See how it goes. Ease keep us updated!!

OP
imouse1

imouse1

Oct 10, 2021
Media
NM
Parrots
I actually was in a similar situation - got the bird not because I wanted her but because she needed someone. She had a "severely impeded band". Have you seen her since they said she had a leg injury? It's very plausible she actually did have an injury. My bird was shaking due to infection and i imagine being in a he'll of a lot in pain. Honestly I'd contact the owner of the story...to see what's going on. Explain you purchased the bird and it was refunded. Your very attached to this bird and would like to continue the purchase despite future medical bills. See how it goes. Ease keep us updated!!
No. They have not allowed me to because ๐Ÿฆœ's not on display since ๐Ÿฆœ hasn't been approved to be released for sale for the evolving reasons, and they've replaced ๐Ÿฆœ with 6 parakeets that have the same colors as ๐Ÿฆœ like I wouldn't notice ๐Ÿ™„.

I have no idea what ๐Ÿค• ๐Ÿฆœ's actually in or what the extent is. I haven't been able to get through to the ๐Ÿคตโ€โ™€, just been passed through to the voicemail box and she never seems to be available when I'm on site. I've still been going at least every other day hoping someone will let me.see him or tell me more but no luck so far; just the ever-evolving story. ๐Ÿ˜”

I may just be overly ๐Ÿ˜ฐ but since the story seems to be evolving I'm ๐Ÿ˜ฐ ๐Ÿฆœ's *๐Ÿฆถ๐Ÿค•* is what is evolving, and that they didn't push for the ๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€โš•๏ธ quickly enough. I'm worried that ๐Ÿฆœ's ๐Ÿฆถ is now ๐ŸงŸโ€โ™‚๏ธ because they let him walk and play as usual while it was ๐Ÿค• and it got infected. I'm just not sure what to expect. I was ๐Ÿ™ someone had some advice on what to go and say about what to expect so I can burst in and demand ๐Ÿฆœ haha. Unlikely, but always hope, right?

For the time being, I'm just preparing for ๐Ÿฆœ like ๐Ÿฆœ's coming home soon. Though, part of me is worried because one of the associates told me ๐Ÿฆœ was sold at one point and when I told ๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿฆฐ ๐Ÿฆœ was at the ๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€โš•๏ธ and that the sale had been revoked ๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿฆฐ seemed surprised. So, ๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿฆฐ went to the back and when ๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿฆฐ came back ๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿฆฐ was the one who (last week) told me that ๐Ÿฆœ was walking around fine and perching well but that tomorrow the first vet appointment they could get (when they scheduled on the 29th), and that it was policy after an ๐Ÿค• to get ๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€โš•๏ธ approval to release animals for sale. ๐Ÿ˜ฉ

I am building ๐Ÿฆœ a custom cage already, though, to go with ๐Ÿฆœ's standard cage so if ๐Ÿฆœ needs modifications that won't be a problem. I have a standard cage set up with some toys, perch, etc. so ๐Ÿฆœ can heal and โ˜บ, adjust, habituate, etc... I am definitely going to keep his ๐Ÿฒ, ๐Ÿ’ง, ๐ŸŸ๐Ÿฆด, etc. in there for the time being as ๐Ÿฆœ's other one won't be ready for a couple weeks. Some of the supplies won't be shipped until Friday and the linseed/beeswax needs 4 days to dry between each coat and you're supposed to do 3 coats, so 16 days from the 1st day to make sure there are no fumes or mess for ๐Ÿฆœ.

I bought him an old solid wood cabinet (untreated, sanded off the varnish) and I'll in the process of oiling it down with the raw linseed and beeswax combo to seal the wood based on a recipe I saw on these forums when the linseed oil is delivered on Friday. It has a top cubby with a glass shelf I'm going to clean with vinegar, a back, 2 sides, a top and bottom, and 2 glass doors as a front I'll prepare as below. Then a middle cubby with no back or front, 2 sides, and a top and bottom, which I'll prepare as below. Then an open shelf and 2 drawers I'm going leave as-is to store ๐Ÿฆœ's stuff.

In the top cubby, I'm building him a rest area that I can see ๐Ÿฆœ as but which has the UVs blocked, the lights turned down, and will have cork put in to absorb noise after the sides have been treated. Then I'll cover the glass shelf and the railing in cork to also help absorb noise but also to reduce any chance of injury. The shelf is just tall enough for ๐Ÿฆœ to bend down slightly and prance around up there below the shelf I'm going to make sure he has ๐Ÿฒ and ๐Ÿ’ง as attached to the glass ๐Ÿšช๐Ÿšช for easy access that way ๐Ÿฆœ's more encouraged to stay on the bottom. I read๐Ÿ“– on these forums if you give GCCs anything to nest with you're toast so I just want to make ๐Ÿฆœ a room ๐Ÿฆœ can go to when ๐Ÿฆœ wants the ๐Ÿ”• since I also live in a ๐Ÿก with ๐Ÿ•๐Ÿถ๐Ÿฆฎ๐Ÿ•โ€๐Ÿฆบ๐Ÿฉ. Below the shelf ๐Ÿฆœ'll have enough room to ๐Ÿšถโ€, around standing so I'm going to put soft toys in there he can roll BUT there will be a hole in the bottom for access to it attached to a ๐Ÿชœ on one side and with a :poop: perch on the other so he can come and go as he wants. The ๐Ÿชœ will attach to the one described below.

In the middle cubby I'm building ๐Ÿฆœ a play area with some foraging ๐Ÿงฉ, ๐Ÿงจ makers, and danglers. It'll be next to a "jungle" of oregano and basil I already had growing in my garden I'm going to put in some PVC 2-way pipe surrounded by some of the ๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒผ (I already had growing and will transplant) based on the forum suggestions I ๐Ÿ“– here that said some conures enjoy these colors and tastes. If ๐Ÿฆœ doesn't like them, I have some small living beets with baby greens that are supposed to be safe I can put in hydroponically for ๐Ÿฆœ. The ๐Ÿชด๐ŸŒผ will have the added bonus of helping keep ๐Ÿฆœ's air clean, being easy to rinse off, and edible to ๐Ÿฆœ. I am also going to have another corner with a swinging substrate box with a ๐Ÿชœ down to the tray in the bottom on one side and 3 perches I hope to teach him to ๐Ÿ’ฉ in. Then in the other corner I am going to put some just fun fidgets.

I have PVC pipes in โ…›" to ยพ" to make perches of varying sizes to prevent the sores and arthritis, but I'm โœ‹ for the ๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€โš•๏ธ๐Ÿฉน to arrive to start wrapping them. I'm trying to decide if I want take a set of custom sand perches for ๐Ÿฆœ by doing a piece of sand on each of the perches--and I want to link up each of the different sized pipes so they vary in size and that there's at least 5 of them going in varying directions--or if I just want to buy them and make room for them in the cage.

In the bottom layer I'm going to just have substrate in 2 of the corners to allow for the toileting and just seed foraging, with one of the other corners being the tray around the customized ๐Ÿฆœ๐Ÿ› โ›ฒ, and then the opposite corner being the ๐ŸŒผ. When the mini ๐ŸŒน come in season in the spring, I'll start training them to grow upside down, as well, to give him a bit of variety. Rosemary was also on the approved list and I have a bit rosemary bush so I broke off a couple of small branches to see if I can get them to take root so sometime down the line I can replace the pipe๐ŸŒด with a ๐ŸŒฒ, and ๐Ÿฆœ can have a live tree in the custom cage.โ…›

I saw a ๐Ÿ“ฝ on YouTube for using a Catit โ›ฒ as a ๐Ÿฆœ๐Ÿ› โ›ฒ and someone suggested using a silicone pipe to increase the height so I'm in the process of ๐Ÿ‘€ for that for ๐Ÿฆœ as well as verifying the ion exchange pellets in the filters are safe for ๐Ÿฆœ.

I'm still working on getting the ๐ŸŒผ to stay in place as they now grow bending 360ยฐ ๐Ÿคญ

I ordered solid steel, non-galvanized ยผ" metal grating that I will use to make a ๐Ÿšช๐Ÿšช on a diagonal bias offset on both sides to make it โ…›" so I'll always be able to see and get to ๐Ÿฆœ when I need to and ๐Ÿฆœ'll be closed in without being able to get out when I need ๐Ÿฆœ to. I'm going to, again, make these into ๐Ÿšช๐Ÿšช so when I open them they have the ๐Ÿฒ and ๐Ÿ’ง on them with perches as I open them for each access. I'll put them closer to the top with a catch on the bottom for :poop: and any mess should ๐Ÿฆœ decide to get Picasso. I'm just having trouble finding non-treated, plain ๐Ÿชต that isn't plywood that will be thin enough to make ๐Ÿšช๐Ÿšช out of. I'm strangely having an easier time finding plexiglass at this point and I might skip everything else for that if I can't find the ๐Ÿชต.

I figure by the time ๐Ÿฆœ is comfortable getting around in there I will have had โฒ๏ธ to build ๐Ÿฆœ's perch to ๐Ÿฆœ sit by me and we can start our trust building exercises in case ๐Ÿฆœ feels shy once ๐Ÿฆœ gets ๐Ÿก. I hope not but after ๐Ÿฆœ's ๐Ÿฆถ๐Ÿค• and the ๐Ÿ—“ we've been apart ๐Ÿฆœ may feel a bit ๐Ÿ’”๐Ÿค•๐Ÿ˜” And I can't blame ๐Ÿฆœ because that isn't ๐Ÿฆœ's fault. I shouldn't have worried about the ๐Ÿ“ƒ and just taken ๐Ÿฆœ ๐Ÿก and asked for everything later, especially since the ๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€๐Ÿ’ผ is AFK or in the wind or something. Maybe I should ๐Ÿ“ฒ corporate and see if I can get them to give me first option.

Still over here cleaning and getting ready just in case he can come home later today. But if anyone has any advice on what to expect about potential ๐Ÿฆถ๐Ÿค• I'm all ๐Ÿ‘‚๐Ÿ‘‚ How to help keep ๐Ÿฆœ calm and not too active to help ๐Ÿฆœ heal or anything else, should ๐Ÿฆœ get released to me in such such a state. Again, I don't know the diagnosis other than now ๐Ÿฆœ's shaking after ๐Ÿฆœ's ๐Ÿฆถ๐Ÿค• so that's why ๐Ÿฆœ has to see the ๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€โš•๏ธ in order to be released for sale, so I don't know what to expect--especially since I don't know when since the 29th the shaking started or what the ๐Ÿฆถ๐Ÿค• was or the extent of it. ๐Ÿ˜ข

๐Ÿฆœ's custom cage obviously hasn't been built yet so suggestions on adaptations to think about are also welcome while I gather supplies. My last ๐Ÿฆ๐Ÿฆ never had ๐Ÿฆถ๐Ÿค• so I'm not sure what to expect and I just want to make sure I get the right stuff to give ๐Ÿฆœ the right life ๐Ÿฆœ deserves.๐Ÿฆœ'll fit right in with all the other disabled pets! (lul) ๐Ÿ™ƒ But even if ๐Ÿฆœ isn't disabled, he has a ๐Ÿ  waiting for ๐Ÿฆœ.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Is this a big chain store or a mom and pop shop? Where are you located? Different areas have different rules and guidelines

OP
imouse1

imouse1

Oct 10, 2021
Media
NM
Parrots
Is this a big chain store or a mom and pop shop? Where are you located? Different areas have different rules and guidelines
Big chain store. Largest city in my small State, currently duking it out for poorest in the nation due to our bottom 10 population density รท(

OP
imouse1

imouse1

Oct 10, 2021
Media
NM
Parrots
Well, after several calls today the manager is put picking up all the animals that had to go to the vet today do they said to call back in an hour. Some had to be put down but they don't know who until they adjust inventory.

๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฆœ
๐Ÿ˜ฐ๐Ÿ™…โ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿ™‡โ€โ™€๏ธ

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
What? You're in the US? That sounds really bizarre they will tell you they are putting animals down. If it's a big chain store call the main office and go from there.

OP
imouse1

imouse1

Oct 10, 2021
Media
NM
Parrots
What? You're in the US? That sounds really bizarre they will tell you they are putting animals down. If it's a big chain store call the main office and go from there.
I should reiterate that where I live the ability to read does not go hand-in-hand with the ability to graduate high school.

OP
imouse1

imouse1

Oct 10, 2021
Media
NM
Parrots
Okay.

So, I called back last night and the manager--who turns out to no longer be a she (not sure of there was a change over or what)--was dodging my questions about Gregg.

I went in after my appointments and just got in. He's going really well! I guess the woman who was going the bird caring had gone on vacation and the man who took over for him saw Gregg hanging upside down playing (as he does) and thought he had an injury. No one thought to call the woman so they put him in quarantine. The vet thinks Gregg was shaking because he was hearing all the other animals being loud in the back, plus not being allowed out to see anyone or handled. I laid eyes on him today and he's looking a little sad but he's okay. I need someone to help me drive him home so his cage doesn't fall over (a couple sharp turns on the way back unless I put him directly in front of the vent that blows at 200% all the time) so we're going to pick him up in the morning.

So, no foot injury after all. ๐Ÿช…๐Ÿฅณ๐ŸŽŠ๐ŸŽ‰ Just an inexperienced handler who was afraid to reach out and a manager who didn't want to question it. ๐Ÿ™„ I have his temporary space ready for him to enjoy some peace and transitory quiet the next couple of weeks while his cabinet is in its finishing stages. His infrared heater arrived yesterday so it's plugged in curing in another room so he'll have some low-noise, UV-free, ambient heat now yhe weather's turned. We have an appointment with another avian vet next week just to be sure everything is okay *just in case*. Provided there's no mysterious second injury tonight, I won't be having an absolute stroke tomorrow haha.

Thanks for everyone who reached out! Once Gregg gets a little settled, I'll post some pics of him. รท)

PS:

Do conures have any special species-specific considerations for transitions compared to other birds? As opposed to cockatiels or finches? I'm assuming the same idea of food, water, quiet, warmth, clean cage, perch, and toys. After his last almost 3 weeks in solitude and noise, I'm sure that's what he'll need and I haven't seen anything else looking online but Dr. Google, DVM isn't exactly thorough. I'm going to go get stuff to make his chop here in a few minutes so he'll also have some fresh food when he gets in =)

OP
imouse1

imouse1

Oct 10, 2021
Media
NM
Parrots
I just wanted to let everyone know Sir Birb made it home yesterday. He didn't like the bed we got him and is uncomfortably sleeping on his millet perch (which he's waking up every hour to pick at when he shifts to his other leg, poor thing =[ ). I'm staying up and checking on him with night mode on my camera just in case he has any problems, especially now the weather has gotten cold--I don't want him to get too cold. I turned up the hear on his hearing blanket because of how puffy he looks and he seems to be more comfy now. I'll go get him a more straw-like bed since all he did with the coconut one was try to kill it earlier lol (Not a fan, bro, I got it!)

But other than that, Sir Birb looks absolutely great!

He spent the better part of 12 hours alternating between playing Stranger Things and Submariner with basically no in-between on any of the perches or toys (except to eat some food to get some energy to try and go murder his bell and propeller toy lul). Very few vocalizations: Mom scared him when she popped in to see him so he squawked; he clicked like a velociraptor a few times (insert: childhood PTSD here); and he squawked at me when I didn't release the bell toy fast enough; but that's it so far. He's been quiet in all the time I've known him, anyway, so I'm not super surprised. In, probably, the...90ish hours I stalked him at the store he never made any sounds so I was glad he did today so I know that in case he needs my attention I know he can call for me. As long as his being quiet isn't because he's stressed, scared, or unhappy, I'm okay with it =)

Thanks for everyone's patience!

Here's some pics from Day 1 of Quarantine and the first day of our great life รท)

Attachments

• 20211014_022623.jpg
    20211014_022623.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 20211014_022523.jpg
    20211014_022523.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 20211014_022726.jpg
    20211014_022726.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 20211014_022813.jpg
    20211014_022813.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 74

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
Welcome home little one!

You've really gone through the mill to gett him haven't you?

I wish you a happy future together

OP
imouse1

imouse1

Oct 10, 2021
Media
NM
Parrots
Welcome home little one!

You've really gone through the mill to gett him haven't you?

I wish you a happy future together
It was one of those "kismet" things, I think. Was in no way looking for a new pet, was in negative ways looking for a new bird because ofy.past negative experiences but we just bonded for about a month in the pet store. Don't know why but I just felt like I had to go back to see him. I promised the universe if he was still there at the one month mark I would take him home so when he disappeared the next day my heart was broken ๐Ÿ’” =( Can't leave my wingman hanging haha (even if he likes to hang ๐Ÿ™ƒ )

I was looking over the paperwork last night and we met the day he literally landed in the store lol and it turns out he's just barely over 4 months old so we're gonna have more time to train out some bad habits since he wasn't hand fed much. He's really into trying new foods, though, so he's learning if he bites mama too hard those go away.

Screenshot_20211014-093907_Gallery.png

Sir is wicked smaht, as they say out east lul. He will also do step up on bowls so far so we're on our way =)

Thanks for the well wishes! ๐Ÿค—

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Oh congratulations! I'm so glad you stuck to your guns and kept following up! I think you may have saved that bird with your persistence. I am sure Sir Bird is going to do well with you. Congratulations again!

OP
imouse1

imouse1

Oct 10, 2021
Media
NM
Parrots
Yah! I'm glad you were able to bring him home! I used a heates perch to help keep my peeps warm.
I'll definitely look into one of these!

I was going to wait to buy him his modified cat fountain for his birb baths but he is just going ham on any kind of water bowl haha so, best to give in on this since it's a healthy behavior. The heated perch will help keep him warm so he doesn't get sick! Thanks again!

Most Reactions