Questions on Toxic fumes for the parrot

Anonymous

Jun 24, 2022
Parrots
I do not have one, but I want to get one and am studying on how to properly take care of one.
Hi, I donā€™t have a parrot yet but am trying to make sure I know everything on how to raise one. The one problem that has scared me the most is poisoning. I heard you cannot use nonstick materials or bleach or ammonia. Does this mean that they canā€™t be used in a certain proximity to the parrot or can you not use the products at all inside a house? I should also mention that the bird would be on the second floor of a three story house and the kitchen is on the first floor. If you have time to answer this, thanks.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
@Anonymous welcome to the forum! Fumes rise and spread, so a parrot being higher in the house still isn't safe.

You are correct that it's crucial to avoid all toxic substances in your home to protect your bird's respiratory health.

I'm sure you're already reading everything you can find here; I know I did before adopting my guy - but the General Parrot Forum has stickies right at the top with a ton of info regarding toxic substances and other topics important to prospective human companions of birds ā¤ļø

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Itā€™s best to avoid nonstick and toxic chemicals, even if they arenā€™t being used on the same floor, as parrots are extremely susceptible to airborne toxins and can quickly perish when exposed to even small amounts.

This is ESPECIALLY true for nonstick cookware. Even large species of birds can die within minutes of exposure to offgasing and the damage is irreversible. Thankfully a wealth of safe alternatives exists now, and they come in all price ranges!

For cleaning chemicals, my household has always leaned toward unscented & natural whenever possible. I have had to use less parrot friendly cleaners from time to time but I always make sure itā€™s far away from the birds and in a well ventilated area.

Another thing to consider is the canary in the coal mine rule - the stuff thatā€™s bad for parrots is technically bad for us too!

OP
A

Anonymous

Jun 24, 2022
Parrots
I do not have one, but I want to get one and am studying on how to properly take care of one.
@Anonymous welcome to the forum! Fumes rise and spread, so a parrot being higher in the house still isn't safe.

You are correct that it's crucial to avoid all toxic substances in your home to protect your bird's respiratory health.

I'm sure you're already reading everything you can find here; I know I did before adopting my guy - but the General Parrot Forum has stickies right at the top with a ton of info regarding toxic substances and other topics important to prospective human companions of birds ā¤ļø
Alright, thanks.

OP
A

Anonymous

Jun 24, 2022
Parrots
Itā€™s best to avoid nonstick and toxic chemicals, even if they arenā€™t being used on the same floor, as parrots are extremely susceptible to airborne toxins and can quickly perish when exposed to even small amounts.

This is ESPECIALLY true for nonstick cookware. Even large species of birds can die within minutes of exposure to offgasing and the damage is irreversible. Thankfully a wealth of safe alternatives exists now, and they come in all price ranges!

For cleaning chemicals, my household has always leaned toward unscented & natural whenever possible. I have had to use less parrot friendly cleaners from time to time but I always make sure itā€™s far away from the birds and in a well ventilated area.

Another thing to consider is the canary in the coal mine rule - the stuff thatā€™s bad for parrots is technically bad for us too!
Thanks.

Jun 11, 2022
Parrots
2 Budgies and a Conure
Hoping to get a Macaw
Hi, I donā€™t have a parrot yet but am trying to make sure I know everything on how to raise one. The one problem that has scared me the most is poisoning. I heard you cannot use nonstick materials or bleach or ammonia. Does this mean that they canā€™t be used in a certain proximity to the parrot or can you not use the products at all inside a house? I should also mention that the bird would be on the second floor of a three story house and the kitchen is on the first floor. If you have time to answer this, thanks.

To kinda sum it up, these are the main things you should avoid with parrots:

1. Non stick and Teflon things, such as pans etc,

2. Scented candles

3. Any cleaners or sprays, so like no air fresheners, or window cleaners, etc,

4. Smoke, so like cigarettes, fire, etc,

5. Small animal bedding (from personal experience)

Birds are basically air sacks. This is why they are extremely prone to respiratory infections. So fumes and scents and all that stuff is extremely bad for them. Teflon usually takes a few hours to clear up so it slowly kills a bird within a few hours. Any strong smells honestly, are terrible for birds.

So when getting a bird you gotta make some changes, no candles, at least around the bird. You can have candles but in a room far away from the bird, with windows open. Definitely on a different story of the house.

As another option of cookware instead of Teflon or non-stick cookware,
I recommend using cast iron or stainless steel.

Hope this helps you understand!

Most Reactions