"Quick-n-Ready" Food?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Has anyone ever used "Sweet Harvest- Kaylor Quick-N-Ready" quick soak food?--Not as a replacement to pellets, but to add the daily variety. I think the ingredients are pretty decent overall (based on a visual inspection by me ha)....there are a few bits of pasta (few and far between)...very few---but mostly good stuff. I worry a bit about protein levels being too high, but I was just wondering if anyone had heard of it or used it.

I can't find any reviews on it.

EDIT- here are the ingredients----the corn is not visible (IF IT IS IN THERE LOL---no visible nuts, coconut or banana in my batch either) The fruit bits is does contain are small...like the size of the lead on a sharpened pencil.

Product description

Ingredients: Rolled barley, Oat groats, Safflower seed, Pasta, Banana chips, Brown rice, Hulled millet, Split green peas, Red split lentils, Papaya dices, Raisins, Kibbled corn, Carrot dices, Cranberries, Tree nuts (may include almonds, pistachios, walnuts, pecans, filberts, brazil nuts, cashews, peanuts), Pineapple core dices, Coconut chips, Hulled pumpkin seeds, Apple pieces.

Directions: Placed the desired amount of dry mix in a pan and cover with very hot tap water. Soak the mix for 10 minutes or until softened. Drain the remaining water, stir, and allow to cool before serving. Always refrigerate remaining product for safety and freshness.

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein 10% min

Crude Fat 6% min

Crude Fiber 8% min

Moisture 12% max

Ash 4%

Last edited:

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
it reads to me as:
filler, filler, filler, filler, cheap sugar, dubious about the rice is it GM?, filler&fat, filler, filler, cheap fruits (sugared?) yup..corn...GM?, probably, because cheap, wtf peanuts (no!), waste products from food industry.

Not too bad as a snack overall.

I have peanut-paranoia and I do not know this company: so they could be working with really good quality ingredients and this is 'their main product', but since everything listed is also "a possible by-product = getting rid of leftovers in a nice way" it might just as well be that...

I know...I am not helping...

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
No, you are-- when I said the ingredients were decent, like I said, it was a visual inspection. The worst visible one was the very limited pasta. Nothing in it is colored or sweetened...Again, I don't see any peanuts (or nuts...period) in the bag I bought (or I wouldn't have gotten it lol---same with the corn etc)- I was surprised when I saw things on the label like coconut etc... I don't see them in there.

The company is Kaylor of Colorado.

Last edited:

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
If you are looking for a bird food/treat/diet supplement similar to this but that is extremely healthy and made from only healthy pulses, veggies, etc., then you want to check-out Higgins "Worldly Cuisines". There are a dozen different varieties, each come in individual pouches that you add boiling water to and soak, and each one is designed nutritionally for bird's health and well-being. No pasta, no corn, no safflower, no millet, and very few if any nuts. I agree with Christa that what you're describing doesn't sound the greatest nutritionally. More like a bad seed-mix.

Seriously, Google the Higgins Worldly Cuisines and check them out. I have made a few different ones for my guys and they love them, and I have tried each of them myself, and they're actually pretty good, considering they have no added sugar or salt, lol. They are more like oatmeal/quinoa mixes, and the "African Sunset" variety is the one that my guys absolutely love.

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Ok thanks! She doesn't like it anyway (I only ever tried it in teeny portions--bought it when I needed something wet for mixing in a bit of meds lol)

Most Reactions

Latest posts