Quiet Personality or Unhappy?

RayOfSunshine

Aug 16, 2021
Parrots
One Lutino Budgie <3
I have a gorgeous Lutino budgie named Sunshine that I bought several months ago. I'm not sure of her gender. After owning her for a while, I've noticed that she's not nearly as talkative as I've heard budgies should be. I'll catch her muttering to herself occasionally through the day, but if I walk over she acts like she said nothing. She definitely screams to let me know when something is bothering her though, mostly when she's hungry. She also likes to twitter when somebody walks through the front door, but that's the extent of her chirping. She plays with her toys, but only if nobody is watching. If I spot her shredding paper, she turns into a statue and flies into a corner. Most of the day she just sits around on her perch (all the times I've checked, who knows what she does really) even though she has plenty of room and things to do.. Now, when I bought her, she was housed with other budgies. But she was sitting in the corner on her own, and bit them when they tried to say hi, so I already knew she wasn't much of a socialite lol. I bought her despite that, maybe because I thought she was smarter than them...That's why I'm wondering if this is just part it her personality. I'm sure she's healthy, she has such a beautiful shiny beak from the vitamins I give her! But she hates attention, only plays by herself, and chirp/mutters maybe 3-4 times a day. Is there something wrong with her? I haven't let her out of the cage yet because she isn't even close to tame, but I'm thinking maybe I should start anyways just to keep her stimulated. Will that make her more chatty? Or is she just an angsty gal? Thanks!

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
Sunshine that I bought several

muttering to herself occasionally through the day, but if I walk over she acts like she said nothing. She definitely screams to let me kn

ow when something is bothering her though, mostly when she's hungry. She also likes to twitter when somebody walks through the front door, but that's the extent of her chirping. She plays with her toys, but only if nobody is watching. If I spot her shredding paper, she turns into a statue and flies into a corner. Most of the day she just sits around on her perch (all the times I've checked, who knows what she does really) even though she has plenty of room and things to do.. Now, when I bought her, she was housed with other budgies.

But she was sitting in the corner on her own, and bit them when they tried to say hi, so I already knew she wasn't much of a socialite lol. I bought her despite that, maybe because I thought she was smarter than them...That's why I'm wondering if this is just part it her personality. I'm sure she's healthy, she has such a beautiful shiny beak from the vitamins I give her! But she hates attention, only plays by herself, and chirp/mutters maybe 3-4 times a day. Is there something wrong with her? I haven't let her out of the cage yet because she isn't even close to tame, but I'm thinking maybe I should start anyways just to keep her stimulated. Will that make her more chatty? Or is she just an angsty gal? Thanks!

You are making good observations.
I am sure nothing is wrong with her. I had a rescued who screamed when someone got near him. As if his big shout could chase danger away. But in time, he eats from our hands, walks to play his toys after we put it and fly around with curiosity.

she wasn't hand tamed hence keep her distance from us, human. By acting like a statue and muttering, playing with toys, eating only when no body is watching. She is taking things slow. But only because she doesn't know that it is safe.

There are many things to do to push her pace a little......that will help her put her guard down. Things such as talk to her, whistle, sing, stay close by, let her observe you, eat near her etc.

When she responds by eating when she see you eat, this the time to teach simple commands and step up on a stick.

Hope this helps

Most Reactions

Latest posts