LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Congrats Laurasea on being a new mum, again! How exciting!

OP
B

bradta

Oct 24, 2018
Greer, SC, USA
So far all homes are working out! Yesterday I drove 4 hours to and from (pretty sure it was almost 5 hours.. traffic was terrible). Loki loves his new home and hopefully will workout with them. Tomorrow after work I am going to meet up with Laurasea, who will be re-homing Pikachu. All is good and the insane amount of driving is completely worth it. I look forward to seeing you, Laurasea. And thank you again for being able to give these birds a new home.

OP
B

bradta

Oct 24, 2018
Greer, SC, USA
The first two re-homings went amazing. A little traffic for them both and meeting times were thrown off by about 30 minutes, but overall great. Very loving families and I'm glad to have them volunteer to take care of them.
When driving to re-home Alpha and Omega, however, around Atlanta, it was pouring rain and when we were on I-85 SB north of Atlanta, we came to a stop in traffic, but the person behind us failed to stop and hit our car. Long story short, we had it stored and now is in a shop, the brakes are being fixed, our insurance is demanding that they speak to the mother of my girlfriend instead of her, we book in a hotel that the tow truck driver dropped us off by (he didn't drop us off at the hotel, it was a Circle K gas station...) and we found a taxi to drive us, slept in the hotel, woke up to fire alarms and yelling, went outside, apparently police were responding to an "active shooter", stressful morning, checked out and called an Uber to get us to an Enterprise where we got a rental and drove out, thankfully safely... If you want extra details, feel free to contact me. I am also currently in an unsafe household that can also be explained.
I'm being painfully honest and I'm tired and worn out. I'm sorry I can't be professional on this forum anymore.. I know we met under stressful circumstances, but SilverSage, you're amazing. Thank you for re-homing the cockatiels and being able to meet us. I appreciate all of the people who were able to take time out of their day to meet with us and take care of the birds.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Oh bradta,
That sounds so awful. Oh my gosh , I'm so glad you are ok. But it sounds so like you went through such a terrible time.
Insurance company can be real jerks, they never seem to want to pay out. I had a bad wreck once and they only wanted to pay out 5oo bucks for my car, I foughtt them, got 5000 in the end.
You went to Superman lengths to re-home your birds into the best homes possible, spent hours on the road for each exchange. I admire you for this. I want things to turn out for you, to improve!!!

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I didn’t know about the shooter part! Oh my goodness you guys really had a crazy trip!

Please get safe; I’ll be praying for you to find a safe living situation. I wish I could have been more help; thanks for being patient with me and my crazy son [emoji23]

The girls are asleep, I’m already screening homes for them (so far no good matches), and they are super relaxed and already acting like they own the place lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
You've been on my mind. I add my prayers to Silversage. A man who put his birds happiness above everything else, deserves good things in my book!!!!
It's just not right that all of this has fallen on your shoulders, while going to college, and working.....
You are a remarkable , courageous, and self-sacrificing young man, you deserve happiness!!
Please stay safe.

Melody

Dec 21, 2019
If you still have the Quakers I would be glad to give them a home! I had always had birds all my life and as my kids were growing up we took in a few birds that had to be re-homed. After the kids moved out I had a birdless household for a few years. My husband fell in love with a neighbor's Muloccan a couple years ago - he had never been around birds, so I started trying to educate him as we discussed what kind of bird would be best for us. Then he got sick. He passed away in April, and I've been sitting here watching bird videos since then. I started looking at prices on Caiques and Quakers the end of October. I saw a video recommending getting a rescue bird in November. I hadn't even thought about that. It made more sense to me. I just found this forum a couple days ago. I am 62 and alone. I don't leave the house except for a couple doctor appointments each month, so I would be home with them pretty much all the time. So, if you are still looking for a placement for the Quakers (and looking at the date and what you said about the length of time you had, I doubt it. But, just in case you're still looking. I will answer any questions you have.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hi Melody,
I have one of the quakers, and the rest all have homes too, sorry
There are many many quakers in craigslist that need homes, offered at low prices. Most are simple parrots that people got and weren't prepared for, and they didn't realize how loud they are. Many are less than a year old. Maybe you can check near you and give one if these guys a second chance at a great home.

Melody

Dec 21, 2019
Thank you. I will do that. I actually am actively doing that in my area. I'm currently seeing breeders selling babies ready for Christmas. While I recognize that now these babies need homes, too, I've had so many recently impressing on me the fact that there is a parrot crisis and I shouldn't BUY. You know, adopt, don't shop. So I am actively looking to try to help out in those circumstances, too. I've gone to a couple bird stores in my area, as well, and have been offered a couple really good deals (including a 2/1 deal! Which I ALMOST took!) I just want to make sure I do the RIGHT thing. It's certainly much easier to just buy one. Maybe I need to quit watching rescue videos on YouTube! Lol But, honestly, I know that I've seen some of the news broadcasts done from local bird sanctuaries, and if breaks your heart to see all the birds that people THOUGHT they wanted but then realized that a cockatoo is so much more than a pretty white shoulder ornament! I'd love one of those, but at 62, I know they,'d just end up looking for ANOTHER home - and I can't do that to a bird.

But, I very much appreciate you letting me know. I've never really been on forums before, and just figured out to go to the next page (yep, finally figured out what those little numbers were! Lol). When I just read about the accident, it was just - oh, how much MORE is this poor person going through?! Very glad to know that as at least the worry about a home for the birds is no longer there.

Thank you, again, for letting me know - AND for all you did to help the birds, and their human! I appreciate your suggestion,and I will continue to look. I'm not in a big rush, and even if I buy, I will still continue to look out for birds who need a home. Thank you so much! God bless you for all you've done. 💝

Acreeves1006

Apr 4, 2020
I know this is an older post, but I'm new to the site and your post touched my heart. :40: do you still have any of your birds or were you able to find forever homes for them all?

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
All 4 birds found homes :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I am closing this thread since happily all the birds have found homes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts