Really cool bird!

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
has anyone else heard of mousebirds, there so cute and really unique and cool, its kinda hard to find info on them though. i was just wondering if anyone else knew/had one. any reply is greatly welcomed :)

OreoWEB.jpg
apparently they make wonderful acrobatic pets too :)

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
Sorry but this is a perrotforum. Maby better to join a finch forum?

Neravas

Nov 11, 2011
Media
Wisconsin
Parrots
Blue Crowned Conure (Codex)

seems like a rude comment for someone asking a question. No ann i havnt ever owned one but it is a cool looking bird

you also spelled parrot incorrectly.

OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
thanks for the replies,they live in africa, but are occasionally found as pets. neravas- i just think there so unique, its a shame there so rare :p

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I've only seen them on TV, if this is the bird I'm thinking of. And I believe they were in a zoo setting. If this is the bird I'm thinking of, yes, they eat live mice. I myself have trouble owning animals that eat other animals.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I know nothing about them but i think there was an article in the AFA mag about them.

OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
I've only seen them on TV, if this is the bird I'm thinking of. And I believe they were in a zoo setting. If this is the bird I'm thinking of, yes, they eat live mice. I myself have trouble owning animals that eat other animals.

i think you might be thinking of kukaburras, they eat mice and look pretty similar, but these guys only eat pellets and a LOT of fruit. they kinda remind me of the softbill version or a lorikeet. i agree i would have a hard time feeding other animals to my pets, i feel guilty enough feeding crickets :p

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Did you find that article in" Watch Bird" the AFA mag.??

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Mouse birds are great little soft bills. They are very difficult to raise as babies. Certain species make wonderful companions though. My best friend has a hand tame blue nape mousebird named Gryphon. I have included a video of him. They need a very specific diet and large flight cage. They do not walk, they hop and should never have their wings clipped.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnXTq-QdI2s&feature=relmfu]Gryphon Blue Naped Mousebird - YouTube[/ame]

OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
SO CUTE i think im melting! if i didnt have parrot on the way id reconsider! henpecked: i haven't been able to find it. if you could point me in the right direction, i would love to read it :)

Last edited:

JensFlock

Jul 31, 2011
South Carolina
Parrots
Eclectus,
Blue Crowned Conure,
Quaker,
Lineolated Parakeet,
Diamond Dove,
Star Finch,
Spice Finch
He's adorable. I want one now. Thanks everyone!!!!! :D

PortaPerch

Apr 28, 2012
SurfCity, SoCalif
Parrots
Chewbaca, F. Galah, h10/10;
Greybeard, M. Congo AG h03/09
Before jumping on Oled for that seemingly curt reply, how often would we be misunderstood on a Forum in Swedish?

PortaPerch
Wife's grandfather came from near Kristianstadt.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
thank you for the link and also for the video. interesting bird that i have not heard of before.Alison and sweetie pie:D

OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
The cool thing is they're cheaper than most parrots, they had some for 125-300 dollars. O my gosh I want one now lol I have the bird bug!

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00dkUKN-7Tc&feature=relmfu"]Here is Gryphon playing with a napkin [/ame]:)
Taking a sand bath
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ6ezhdbY_E"]Gryphon~ Blue Naped Mousebird Takes A Sand Bath - YouTube[/ame]

Taking a water bottle bath
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4No1XTOFZ0"]Blue Naped Mousebird Gryphon Bathes On A Bottle - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Very cool, are the hens simalar ? Or more "plain jane"?

Most Reactions

Latest posts