Recently got a cockatiel not sure of sex?

Mikeyc

Jan 28, 2024
Parrots
Cockatiels
image.jpg
image.jpg

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Cockatiel gender is reasonably easy to pick visually, but it will depend entirely on how old your bird is and whether s/he has gone through their first big moult into adult plumage or not. The best indicator is to look at the underside of the tail feathers, as a male will have solid colour there whereas a female's tail feathers will always retain a rippled/stippled effect of colour on the underside, like that illustrated here ...

0AJU0ei.jpeg

Again though, it totally depends whether they've shed those juvenile tail feathers, which generally happens somewhere around the 8 or 9 month old mark, because up to that point the juvenile and female tail feathers look pretty much exactly the same. Hope this helps you! :)

OP
M

Mikeyc

Jan 28, 2024
Parrots
Cockatiels
Yes that helps thank you I believe he/she is a little over a year old and it has some strong marking under the tail.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 10
OP
M

Mikeyc

Jan 28, 2024
Parrots
Cockatiels
I tried to get a better picture here

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 9

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Yep well if they're adult feathers then that would indicate you have a little hen on your hands 💖 The paler feathers show the barring in an adult female too, though you might have to wait until they're moulted out and hold them up to a bright light to be able to see it.

OP
M

Mikeyc

Jan 28, 2024
Parrots
Cockatiels
Yep well if they're adult feathers then that would indicate you have a little hen on your hands 💖 The paler feathers show the barring in an adult female too, though you might have to wait until they're moulted out and hold them up to a bright light to be able to see it.
Thank you!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
With whit face cockatiels a grey face is female and a white face is male.
assuming the bird has gone through first molt.
so yes, female

Most Reactions

Latest posts