onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Hi all! My Ona girl is close to homecoming! The breeder told me today she may be ready as soon as Saturday! She hasnā€™t taken formula in several days so if she continues to refuse it they will let me take her home.

I know the change in environment will be stressful for her no matter what I do, but Iā€™d like to make her transition as smooth as possible. There are two things Iā€™m debating:

1. What should I bring her home in?
2. How should I adapt her to her new cage?

For bringing her home, I have a couple options. I have this backpack:
F174B871-E555-4972-9805-C4E625FB77FD.jpeg

But Iā€™m concerned she will be scared of it and I donā€™t want her first time using it to be traumatic.

I also have her ā€œsmallerā€ cage but itā€™s pretty large for a travel cage. I got it to use as a homecoming transition cage (before sheā€™s ready for the really big one) and to bring with us for overnight stays on any trips we go on.
46224DD6-08B9-4A1E-8907-CEBB2BF14D61.jpeg

The third option is the breeder sells these types of travel cages: Kaytee Take Me with Travel Carrier https://a.co/8m1n3Xd. I could buy a small one just for taking her home and car rides.

One thing Iā€™ve learned about Ona is she is apprehensive to new things and it takes her some time to adjust to anything she hasnā€™t seen before. Most toys it takes her a bit to get over being scared and want to play with it. She seems more fearful or larger and more colorful toys. So my final question is should I take all toys out of her cage at first? Maybe only put in the only one I know she is comfortable with for the first couple days? Some of the ones I have in her cage now Iā€™m worried will frighten her at first.

Bonus photo of her playing today:
342898CB-093A-4F96-8F31-35D627AE5313.jpeg

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
Ahhhhhh it's so close!

Until you've had her in the car a few times, it might be better to use whichever cage she can be on the floor in, or that would let her move around without bumping something. My little guy was just on the floor of his carrier when I brought him home, but later when I took him to the vet he had a perch and fell off a few times at stoplights :(

I think your transition cage looks great! I've never had a baby bird, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I'd be inclined to leave it how it is since she'll be nervous anyway when she first gets home.

Im so excited she's coming home soon!

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Ahhhhhh it's so close!

Until you've had her in the car a few times, it might be better to use whichever cage she can be on the floor in, or that would let her move around without bumping something. My little guy was just on the floor of his carrier when I brought him home, but later when I took him to the vet he had a perch and fell off a few times at stoplights :(

I think your transition cage looks great! I've never had a baby bird, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I'd be inclined to leave it how it is since she'll be nervous anyway when she first gets home.

Im so excited she's coming home soon!
Thanks; weā€™re so excited! I agree about the smaller cage for the car. Iā€™m leaning toward getting a small Kaytee one just so itā€™s easier to carry and safer for movements in the car.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
the clear one is scary to them at first . I have one and took mine some getting used to it.

I think one with bars and remove everything but one low perch and put a towel in the bottom. Bring a towel to partially drape the cage but leave opening so she can see you. This helps them be less frightened by everything moving around them.

She us so adorable and beautiful!!! Whush you much love and happiness with her

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hi all! My Ona girl is close to homecoming! The breeder told me today she may be ready as soon as Saturday! She hasnā€™t taken formula in several days so if she continues to refuse it they will let me take her home.

I know the change in environment will be stressful for her no matter what I do, but Iā€™d like to make her transition as smooth as possible. There are two things Iā€™m debating:

View attachment 41794

But Iā€™m concerned she will be scared of it and I donā€™t want her first time using it to be traumatic.

I also have her ā€œsmallerā€ cage but itā€™s pretty large for a travel cage. I got it to use as a homecoming transition cage (before sheā€™s ready for the really big one) and to bring with us for overnight stays on any trips we go on.
View attachment 41795

The third option is the breeder sells these types of travel cages: Kaytee Take Me with Travel Carrier https://a.co/8m1n3Xd. I could buy a small one just for taking her home and car rides.

One thing Iā€™ve learned about Ona is she is apprehensive to new things and it takes her some time to adjust to anything she hasnā€™t seen before. Most toys it takes her a bit to get over being scared and want to play with it. She seems more fearful or larger and more colorful toys. So my final question is should I take all toys out of her cage at first? Maybe only put in the only one I know she is comfortable with for the first couple days? Some of the ones I have in her cage now Iā€™m worried will frighten her at first.

View attachment 41796
I know I keep saying this, but your little girl is just so pretty!!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie

View attachment 41794

You can try put her in the backpack. Add lots of treats for her to get used to it.
View attachment 41795
That cage looks fine. You can try that for the travel

I think that's a good idea.
View attachment 41796
Ahh she's so cute!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Me I'd go with the back pack one, but make sure she is not in direct sunlight during the ride home. We have a Pak-O-Bird, that I use to get Salty to and from his vet visits, and any longer car ride. He does not object to it (can't say he loves it). But typically unless its to the vet, Salty is in his harness when outside the house.

Most Reactions

Latest posts