Regular ovens safe (not self cleaning)

QuidamPhx

Nov 11, 2019
This may seem like an obvious answer, but I can't find any info on it. Are regular kitchen ovens safe? I have no idea if they are constructed with any sort of non stick surface, although needing oven cleaner and serious elbow grease would lead me to believe they're not. Manufacturers don't like to give answers though with any sort of certainty.

Those in the know, what are regular range ovens made from? Or more importantly, lined with? Has there been any documented risk aside from smoke due to food/improper use? (Not including self cleaning which mine does not have anyway).

Just got 2 conures, and like many others in the process of parrot proofing my home, it's easy to get caught up in the wave of anxiety of making a tragic mistake. I want to stop using EVERYTHING, which isn't realistically possible. Typical items like toasters (not ovens), regular ovens, microwaves, etc are not often touched on, even just to say they're not a concern.

Thanks!

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
My motto is 'You don't need to remove it if it is steered clear of'
If in doubt, remove it
Thank
Noah Till

OP
Q

QuidamPhx

Nov 11, 2019
My motto is 'You don't need to remove it if it is steered clear of'
If in doubt, remove it
Thank
Noah Till

It's pretty hard to live without an oven, toaster, etc, which is why I'm trying to find more information. I've replaced or disposed of various items already, such as cookware.

I know if these items were generally an issue it should be a lot more widespread, but I'd feel better getting some answers.

Last edited:

shinyuankuo

May 9, 2019
State College, PA
Parrots
Winston 屁撚, the Eclectus. 屁撚 (pi-nian) came from Pinion (Psalms 64, meaning flight feather, typifying God's soaring power.)
I would like to follow this thread, too. I live in an apartment, so I don't get to pick my oven, microwave, and stuff. My plan is to buy a really good air purifier and have the bird in my bedroom away from kitchen when we are cooking.

I hope that will work.

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
Generally, regular kitchen ovens are considered safe, except in a few situations.

If it is brand new, then do a "burn-in" - turn your oven to high heat for a couple of hours with fans on and windows open. The manufacturer will typically have instructions on how to do this. When we shifted house, every time we visited, I turned on the oven and aired out the house, so by the time Cairo moved in, I had already done at least 4 sessions.

And of course, don't use the self-cleaning function.

The rest depends on what you use inside there. Your bakeware has to be made of bird-safe materials (no PTFE/PFOA/PFOS/etc), which means it does limit your choices of sheets, trays, etc. You'll even need to check on your wax sheets and aluminium foil.

Just make sure you don't burn anything and that you keep it clean (wipe down the inside regularly).

There are some concerns about oils in the air, regardless of whether you're stir-frying on the stove or cooking in the oven. My general rule is to air everything out (easy for me to say since we live on the equator with no winter) and keep Cairo on the other side of the house with fans blowing and the windows open.

I know there are some threads about toasters in this forum (I found them a while back). You might have to do a google search of "site:parrotforums.com toaster safe" or something like that.

OP
Q

QuidamPhx

Nov 11, 2019
Generally, regular kitchen ovens are considered safe, except in a few situations.

If it is brand new, then do a "burn-in" - turn your oven to high heat for a couple of hours with fans on and windows open. The manufacturer will typically have instructions on how to do this. When we shifted house, every time we visited, I turned on the oven and aired out the house, so by the time Cairo moved in, I had already done at least 4 sessions.

And of course, don't use the self-cleaning function.

The rest depends on what you use inside there. Your bakeware has to be made of bird-safe materials (no PTFE/PFOA/PFOS/etc), which means it does limit your choices of sheets, trays, etc. You'll even need to check on your wax sheets and aluminium foil.

Just make sure you don't burn anything and that you keep it clean (wipe down the inside regularly).

There are some concerns about oils in the air, regardless of whether you're stir-frying on the stove or cooking in the oven. My general rule is to air everything out (easy for me to say since we live on the equator with no winter) and keep Cairo on the other side of the house with fans blowing and the windows open.

I know there are some threads about toasters in this forum (I found them a while back). You might have to do a google search of "site:parrotforums.com toaster safe" or something like that.

Thanks, a lot of this is reassuring. I bought aluminum cookware with a copper/ceramic coating, that states to be PTFE and PFOA free. Same thing for baking sheets, and I even went so far as to remove the default stove drip trays and replace them with aluminum foil ones. My logic behind toasters and microwaves hopefully being safe (besides a lack of info and warnings after extensive googling) are that microwaves don't get their build materials very hot and toasters (not toaster ovens) appear to be stainless and extreme heat approaching 500F would wreak havoc on the plastic parts on them.

I'm in an apartment, which limits a fair bit, and my birds are currently in the living room as this allows for the most interaction. This means they're only a room away from the kitchen, but during any smokey cooking (meat searing etc) they're wheeled out and away from the area.

I feel like I've taken a great set of steps to make things safe, but I still worry. These will be like family members. Good thing I haven't had children, I might lose my mind lol.

Ovens were a major thing not mentioned in most articles for normal use, and the one here is electric and quite old, but aside from short usage, anything in for a couple hours would make me move the birds anyway.

Yeah, in Canada here. Fresh air might do the birds more harm than good at winter temperatures!

I appreciate the response.

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Good call on making sure the drip trays were switched- if it is that special non-stick foil (double thick or something) that type can contain PTFE though, so you might want to verify... I don't want to add to your worries, but some of the double-thick non-stick foils are coated. Here is at least 1 variety that contains a coating:
https://www.reynoldskitchens.com/products/aluminum-foil/non-stick-foil/ but I am sure that other products may also use ptfe/pfoa/pfcs (so best to verify).
Here is the patent info on the Reynold's wrap and it lists PTFE:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6696511.html

Stainless steel is a good bet as long as you can verify that it is non-coated. Toasters can be a hazard and teflon has been implicated in bird deaths as low as 375 F (despite dupont's claims that it only off-gasses at higher temperatures or with "improper use")--seriously--when I say documented, I mean within academic settings not affiliated with dupont. If you use a toaster, I would still call the company if possible..I know it is a nightmare, but that is the safest route. Another option is to ask around on here and see what brands people have used safely over and over.

In terms of the oven itself, I try not to use mine above 400 with the bird around, just because there is a coil liner/fabric that could possibly have PTFE in it (based on looks and cleanability) and I don't like that. I have found that most ever recipe can be cooked at a lower heat if left in for a longer time---yes, it is harder to broil things, but that isn't really good for a bird's lungs either.

Last edited:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Yes, many toasters are ‘easy clean’, which is a trigger phrase! Remember, if I change one molecule in a plastic coating, I can then give it a new, non threatening name!

OP
Q

QuidamPhx

Nov 11, 2019
The burner drip trays are disposable aluminum foil, so I'm not concerned about them. The $2 cheap pack of 6 style. Doesn't look fancy but it's one less thing to worry about.

My toaster is mostly stainless, and had been used a few times over the weekend (same with the oven at 425F and 450F) before I even considered these things as a potential problem. I emailed the companies about them to hopefully get some resolution. Phone calls would be good idea... too bad customer service sucks everywhere. Not the fault of the employee on the phone, but it sure is tiresome.

I need to remember that all I can do is research, call, and try my best not to go insane worrying about everything. Thankfully the cage being on casters means moving them out isn't difficult.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Did the drip trays say anything about being non-stick or easy clean-up?

Most Reactions

Latest posts