Rehomed DYH Diet Transition

OP
N

NikiBA

Feb 24, 2021
Iowa
Parrots
Lima (black capped caique), Tambo (scarlet macaw), Ringo (red fronted macaw), Richard (eclectus), Carina (b&g macaw), Ebony (African Grey), Zeke (red lored zon), Bonfire (DYH zon)
Her former name was Taco, I want to call her Bonfire. Doc just came out to talk to me. I trust him. He took X-rays and is sending something in to a lab to interpret the findings more accurately, but some possible issues are kidney disease and aspergillosis, causing pressure and weakness. On a scale of 1 to 9 for body condition with 5 being ideal he rates her a 3. He’s already noticed how sweet she is. We will be going home with some fluids, antibiotics, more appropriate syringes and follow up appointment. I’m still out in the car. Sending love and deep thanks to everyone reading this. Looking forward to hearing more about all of your parrots and adventures. :)

OP
N

NikiBA

Feb 24, 2021
Iowa
Parrots
Lima (black capped caique), Tambo (scarlet macaw), Ringo (red fronted macaw), Richard (eclectus), Carina (b&g macaw), Ebony (African Grey), Zeke (red lored zon), Bonfire (DYH zon)
Yes indeed! But she doesn’t know it yet, they used to call her Taco.
Girl needs a fresh start to the second and hopefully best part of her life. :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Sweet Bonfire. I hope kidney infection is treatable. Really hope not aspergillosis ..that such along treatment. But with good nutrition and your love and care i know her life will improve!

I've read kidney infections are more common than we think and are painful, and make a girl not want to eat.
It's wonderful that you rushed her to the vet! You are amazing!

Last edited:
OP
N

NikiBA

Feb 24, 2021
Iowa
Parrots
We are home and she is set up in her new cage in front of the fire again. I have seen her drinking and eating a little (junk). I feel so much more positive and supported, thanks to all of you and the vet. Vet gave her a dose of her meds at the office; her eyes are brighter already. Hope to add new pics tomorrow. Thank you again. ��

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
what was the diagnosis? What meds did he give? How much support feeding did he say to give? How much does he think she needs to gain back? Did they do blood work? What we r the results? 20 questions, lol, but we all learn from you and your journey. Can help others who read this.

I'm so glad you are home safe!! So glad to hear she feels a little better! Wishing a speed recovery!

Last edited:
OP
N

NikiBA

Feb 24, 2021
Iowa
Parrots
He wants to wait until he hears back from the lab tomorrow on her radiograph. I will post here when I find out. Then we can zoom in and start to treat exactly what’s going on. In the meantime he sent us home with Penacillamine, Enrofloxacin, and Metacam. She is definitely still very weak. I will hand feed her a little before we go to bed.

25901d1614304187-rehomed-dyh-diet-transition-8d794495-6edb-4454-95ec-5cbdb03433f9.jpg

Attachments

• 8D794495-6EDB-4454-95EC-5CBDB03433F9.jpg
    8D794495-6EDB-4454-95EC-5CBDB03433F9.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 107
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
N

NikiBA

Feb 24, 2021
Iowa
Parrots
More interested in water than food.

FCrcyxe.jpg

Attachments

• 063223B2-8DD9-40E4-8237-2B197760928E.jpg
    063223B2-8DD9-40E4-8237-2B197760928E.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 86
Last edited by a moderator:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm going to try and share everything I can think of to help.

You need to think of her as an ICU patient.
She is resting like that because she is so weak she us trying to conserve energy anyway she can.
So you need to help her conserve energy.
She needs 12 hours uninterrupted sleep.
If the back of her cage can't be against a wall. Use a white sheet to drape the back. This way she doesn't have to stay alert to things coming up behind her. And it still let's light through.
Put a water and feed dish right next to the spot she is useing to rest, and support herself. She doesn't need to waste energy moving yo get water or food.
Try nit to stare at her or check on her to often. She needs every nap she can take. And watching her or hovering will tax her.
Supporting warmth. Its worth it to buy one if the things for parrots , you will get a lot if use out of it. Burds are filled with all thsescsirsacs and it takes a ton of energy fir them to keep warm. Im to tired to look for the documentation I have on that. But it can't be stressed enough. Her environment needs to be over 80. It also seems to promote healing in birds.
Try and make routines and predictability, if she knows what to expect she can relax the rest of the time.
Try and keep the house calm and quiet.
She us new to your home, and fighting for her life. So she is going to be stressed, and in gaurd. So you are trying to limit thst every way you can. And help her conserve her energy every way you can as well.
I always offer a millet spray for sick burds. Its higher calorie, easy, and gives them something to pick at, you csn weave in the bars right next to her. Even big parrots seem to like it.

Ok all I can think of right now.
I so want you to be able to save her.
No matter if she acts stronger tomorrow, still do everything possible to conserve her energy.

OP
N

NikiBA

Feb 24, 2021
Iowa
Parrots
Really love and appreciate everything you’re saying here. I did put a blanket around the side of the cage so she has some privacy facing the fire. It’s hard not to check on her as I just want some reassurance she’s ok. She’s sleeping hard now and folded over a perch. Really hoping yesterday was the worst of it and that we can be on a solid path now. It’s scary though as I’ve never seen a bird like this. Good night.

Peachypink

Jan 25, 2021
Parrots
Lola-Mexican Red Headed Amazon
Just read through all of this! Sending prayers and hoping she is doing better. You are doing everything you can to help this beauty and that is wonderful!

OP
N

NikiBA

Feb 24, 2021
Iowa
Parrots
Dear Laurasea and all, the lab results didn’t come back yesterday so we will stay the course through the weekend. Her spirits seem up a little. She greets me with soft vocalizations. She’s still very weak and puts the weight of her body on the perch as she sits on it. I’m having a really hard time administering her meds and syringe feeding her without her chewing on the syringe. Can anyone send video links or specifics on hand feeding?She is toweled until she squirms out. I often hold her head and top of her beak so I can get better aim. Today I’m going to syringe feed but also offer some sweet cooked foods in her dish. She was interested in some of the shelled nuts that were in her bowl but didn’t really pursue crunching them up much.

Peachypink

Jan 25, 2021
Parrots
Lola-Mexican Red Headed Amazon
So glad to hear she is still with you. I wish I had suggestions but all I can offer is encouragement. Hugs!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
mine took it willing from the syringe, if it was warm and thicker. Abd i let them choose when they had enough. One took it from my fingers.
You can try with a spoon, or put in a bowl. I linked the you tube video earlier in your thread.

I hate that she is so week. You gotta try and save her energy and let her nap when she can.
That weak if she isn't taking naps, try abd adjust so she feels safer taking a nap.
Every day she us hanging on is really great, its one day closer to feeling better.

Last edited:
OP
N

NikiBA

Feb 24, 2021
Iowa
Parrots
I held her on my lap without toweling this afternoon. She seemed more relaxed and consumed a good amount of zupreem purée combined with a few other goodies from my fingers. I tried to give her more liquids...saw her make a round in her cage to crunch a few things and check out the water. But best of all is that just now as my other parrots are doing their evening jungle calls she is seeming to want to join them. She is making a new kind of “ha” sound. ��. Thank you so much for your support ��

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
So very happy to hear of the improvement, every tiny positive is a great positive!

Our DYH has a like term he uses, it seems to be a general contact call, which he uses to get a response. We use a like sound in response.

OP
N

NikiBA

Feb 24, 2021
Iowa
Parrots
She ate from her dish overnight last night! Steady as we go. :)

OP
N

NikiBA

Feb 24, 2021
Iowa
Parrots
Look who’s feeling bright eyed and upright this morning!!! Bonfire ate from her dish overnight last night and munched again when I added to it this morning. When I came back into the room she was on the bottom of the cage foraging around for the goodies. :) I’m still hand feeding her a warm purée of zupreem pellets, dark leafy greens, little bit of applesauce and bit of the Kaytee hand feeding formula. I’m also giving her some unflavored, clear electrolyte solution, as well as her meds of course. Hoping to hear her lab results today!!! PS - how do you resize images?

Attachments

• F8E528DC-C74E-4EBD-80AF-E4E8FB2C01C8.jpg
    F8E528DC-C74E-4EBD-80AF-E4E8FB2C01C8.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 83

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
wow she looks so much better! Yippieeee!! One of the mod's can resize the picture for you.

Jim

Most Reactions

Latest posts