Rehoming pair of Caiques

zkwentz

Nov 4, 2018
Dallas
Parrots
Elphaba, Caique, Yellow Thigh
Timber, Caique, Black Capped
Hello all,

We have two caiques (BHC & YBC), Elphie and Timber, that are in need as of loving a home as we gave them. Reason being, we have to move from TX to NY for work, and we can't bring them with us. Real estate is ridiculous everywhere, but especially NY, and we don't have the leverage to push the board to let us keep them.

So we're looking for a home for them. A bit about them: Timber is 3 Male and Elphie is 5 Unknown. They live in a cage together, and come out everyday to play with us. They are very, very social and take to handling and new people really well. Neither have any kind of plucking problems, though Elphie did, but we helped her get over it and all of her feathers are coming back as of last vet visit. Speaking of vet visits, we take them to the vet every year for a checkup, and just had one for them both in early April, all clear!

If you're interested, I'd love to chat with you (DM me on here), we're on a bit of an accelerated timeline as our move is May 15th.

In the meantime, you can see them on their instagram here.

Thanks,
Zach

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Elphie and Timber are so beautiful! I'm so sorry you need to rehome them, I know how hard that is.
Your post has so much love for them and I have no doubt that you'll find a wonderful home for them.

@zkwentz , you won't be able to PM anyone until you reach 10 posts but any of the Mods would be happy to forward things for you.​

@Terry57 , @saxguy64 , @LaManuka

OP
Z

zkwentz

Nov 4, 2018
Dallas
Parrots
Thank you for the well wishes and for making me aware of that @Terry57! I appreciate the forwarding offer, I don't want to spam up the forum with random messages so I'll just hang tight.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Thank you for the well wishes and for making me aware of that @Terry57! I appreciate the forwarding offer, I don't want to spam up the forum with random messages so I'll just hang tight.
I'm hoping a wonderful home is right around the corner.

OP
Z

zkwentz

Nov 4, 2018
Dallas
Parrots
By the way, one thing I should mention. Spoke with a few folks here in North Texas, and all of them asked how much to adopt.

Just so it’s clear, the cost is nothing, however we would want to chat with you before to make sure you're the right fit.

Last edited:
OP
Z

zkwentz

Nov 4, 2018
Dallas
Parrots
Thank you @Terry57 , I appreciate that post. I think for us, we're good at the vetting side, we've been interviewing a few folks and we can identify red flags pretty well (like the talking focus the post mentions, and not knowing of a good bird vet they have a relationship with already). But we hadn't thought fully about the monetary.

Going to delete my prior message and think about how we can ensure financial suitability.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I think no cost rehoming can be a good thing. I took a free rehome from here. I already had several parrots, and was willing to offer a good home to a parrot in need but wasn't looking to go buy more parrots. I was willing to drive the 5 hour round trip ...and buy another parrot cage. As he sent the original cage with a different parrots re home.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Thank you @Terry57 , I appreciate that post. I think for us, we're good at the vetting side, we've been interviewing a few folks and we can identify red flags pretty well (like the talking focus the post mentions, and not knowing of a good bird vet they have a relationship with already). But we hadn't thought fully about the monetary.

Going to delete my prior message and think about how we can ensure financial suitability.
Some people ask a nominal fee, and if the family is a good fit they will just give them to them. That may be something to think about.

Most Reactions

Latest posts