repurposing perches!

rioandmango!

Apr 16, 2022
Parrots
two budgies
i have only one natural wood perch, and two skinny dowel perches (which i thought weren’t) and two very big long dowel perches, my birds barely use the skinny ones and the natural wood, BUT they are obsessed with the thick dowels, im thinking of wrapping them together with medical tape to make them flat, is this possible and healthy?

Henderbird

Apr 7, 2022
Canada
Parrots
Munchkin the Sun Conure!
Hi! I recommend just sticking to natural wood perches and using dowels a different way instead. This is because dowels are smooth and uniform throughout, and are not great for your birds feet as they can cause arthritis and bumble foot if used for too long.
Even wrapping them makes it not so great to use!
You can still reuse the dowels by either placing them near the bottom of the cage where birds usually perch less, or you can take a knife and carve the thick dowels down a little so that it creates some texture and your birds can still perch on them because those dowels are not as smooth as before. Less chance of foot issues!
If you want flat perches, you can use platform perches at the corner of the cage.
Even try using cotton rope perches for softer texture for your birds feet and birds usually like those! Make sure they don’t chew on the fibers though!

OP
R

rioandmango!

Apr 16, 2022
Parrots
two budgies
hello again, today and yesterday i actually whittled down my perches and they have a lot of texture, do you think this is okay as a perch?

OP
R

rioandmango!

Apr 16, 2022
Parrots
two budgies
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
R

rioandmango!

Apr 16, 2022
Parrots
two budgies
also, one of my birds have orange stains around their mouth im guessing from the carrots, how do i clean it since they’re not tamed?

Most Reactions

Latest posts