Reputable Hyacinth Breeders?

DocConstantine

Apr 28, 2015
Los Angeles, Ca
Hello, I'm looking for a reputable Hy breeder the closer to Los Angeles the better as I'd prefer to visit and pick up.

I had a BNG when I was younger so I have experience with larger (!) macs. I understand that it will need a steady supply of Mac/Brazil nuts, a LARGE SS cage, tons of toys to be destroyed, foraging toys, interaction and enrichment.

From my research I believe Baby Parrots, Macaw breeder, Parrot breeder, Cockatoo breeder would be my ideal choice. I've left a voice and email message, but they have yet to respond (I understand they may be busy or on vacation so I'm not bashing)

Based on Birdman's recs in another thread I tried feathered follies in norcal (waiting on response) and Emerald forest (just started their breeding program, check back later)

So I'd like to keep putting my feelers out (ideally I'm looking to bring one home in around 9 months time). I'd like someone who actually breeds them and spends time with them, something along the lines of what they do at Avian Adventures.

Thanks

Brian

I know these people...

And, oh by the way, my maggie was originally one of their babies... (i didn't get her from them, but she was one of theirs.)

they are one of the best macaw breeders in california!!! So, yes, i highly, highly, highly recommend them. There are about Five macaw breeders on my A+ list. These guys would be on that list!!

Well, there are three that come immediately to mind. Wendy, of course. Suzanne in Colorado. And these guys. That's my short list.

Any dang fool can put feeding formula into a syringe, and feed a baby a few times a day, and get a 50% success rate...

Map standards are fine, and a good start, for a physically healthy bird. Good breeders do more than that. They abundance wean and allow the bird to properly fledge.

GREAT BREEDERS for starters socialize their birds to the Nth degree... You get a bird that is accepting of people, other animals, and children. You get a bird that knows the basics, one that will go to anyone without biting. A bird that knows step up, no bite, stay put, and in many cases, fly to me on command.

More than that, the really good ones love them, the birds soak up that love like a sponge, and THAT becomes how they view the world. They trust, they open up, and they love... And as long as the person getting the bird doesn't betray that trust, or screw up those boundaries, they remain that way for life...

What you get is a bird that is not only physically healthy, but also is psychologically healthy. One who is happy and knows how to use his brain. Smart, eager to learn, eager to interact and show off, who has known nothing but love, and therefore has no reason to be defensive.

Last edited:
Well, there are three that come immediately to mind. Wendy, of course. Suzanne in Colorado. And these guys. That's my short list.

Any dang fool can put feeding formula into a syringe, and feed a baby a few times a day, and get a 50% success rate...

Map standards are fine, and a good start, for a physically healthy bird. Good breeders do more than that. They abundance wean and allow the bird to properly fledge.

GREAT BREEDERS for starters socialize their birds to the Nth degree... You get a bird that is accepting of people, other animals, and children. You get a bird that knows the basics, one that will go to anyone without biting. A bird that knows step up, no bite, stay put, and in many cases, fly to me on command.

More than that, the really good ones love them, the birds soak up that love like a sponge, and THAT becomes how they view the world. They trust, they open up, and they love... And as long as the person getting the bird doesn't betray that trust, or screw up those boundaries, they remain that way for life...

What you get is a bird that is not only physically healthy, but also is psychologically healthy. One who is happy and knows how to use his brain. Smart, eager to learn, eager to interact and show off, who has known nothing but love, and therefore has no reason to be defensive.

Exactly the premise I was going off of after I'd done my research. Thanks for confirming and fleshing it out more specifically! I'm guessing Suzanne in Colorado is Avalon?

Yep. Suzanne Cochraine, Avalon aviaries.

I have been looking into rarer birds and have contacted breeders . My feeling because this is a lot of money. The ones that cant respond [Im not impressed with at all]. Just voicing my opinions on this. Very frustrating finding a breeder.

Well, that's the thing, a lot of good breeders out there produce healthy birds... But they don't give them the socialization you want...

The three I mentioned do...

And that makes a huge difference in temperament from the get go...

They're a few hundred dollars more, but the level of training and interaction you get is worth every penny!

Terri, just curious.. what species are you looking into?
I lost my Blue and gold and Catalina Macaw last year
I had looked into several ,Hyacinth,Vinaceous and Bodine Amazons ,Golden Conure.Ran into a lot of Brokers. Decided I missed my Blue and Gold and was frustrated with finding the others. Put a deposit on one comes in August . Birdmann - contacted your Wendy she moved and doesn't breed them anymore.

I do remember your Macaws :(. Oohh Vinaceous Amazon :32:. Last I looked PPatch breeds Vinaceous. Not sure about availability. I did once see a guy who breeds the Bodin's, those are so gorgeous also. I forgot the breeder name. Yeah, I bet you run into a lot of brokers :(. IMO as well as IME good way to get viral disease. You know how I'm a sucker for the rare species too, good luck what you end up with!

Pinkbirdy, thats strange I just put a down payment on a macaw from Wendy, I guess she's focusing on GW, scarlets, BTM, red fronted macaws more now a days.

I wish you good luck find the right bird for you!

That is weird cause I was hoping to go with her [Birdmann thought highly of her]. It might be 3 weeks since I talked to her . She said she was no longer breeding Blue and golds [that's what I was interested in]. Sounded like she just had her Bluethroats .Is that going to be your bird ?

I honestly haven't kept up with Wendy.

I haven't talked to her much since Rachel died... maybe two phone calls?

I recommend her because I know her birds, I know how she works, (Rachel got three from her) and I've known at least 15 people who had identical results getting birds from her.

She's still the best in terms of socialization... I don't know what's going on with her. She appears to be "downsizing."

Last edited:
Pinkbirdy, Yeah my down payment was on a BTM although I had originally contacted her about Red fronted macaws. She only had three and were all spoken for. In fact this will be the second BTM I purchase from her and just like Birdman I would recommend any bird from Wendy.

Pinkbirdy, Yeah my down payment was on a BTM although I had originally contacted her about Red fronted macaws. She only had three and were all spoken for. In fact this will be the second BTM I purchase from her and just like Birdman I would recommend any bird from Wendy.

Yeah, the degree of interaction her birds get is just completely off the hook, and it really shows. My RFM was not a Wendy bird, and Rachel's was... they came home about the same time. Even though Sweepea is a good bird, there was a noticable difference between them when they first arrived. I had to do the socialization and a lot more training with Sweepea...

Red fronts are pretty docile anyway, but...

She's just got "the gift."

I don't know anyone who hasn't just gushed about her, or their mac... and I know there are a few of them on this board.

Last edited:

Yeah, the degree of interaction her birds get is just completely off the hook, and it really shows. My RFM was not a Wendy bird, and Rachel's was... they came home about the same time. Even though Sweepea is a good bird, there was a noticable difference between them when they first arrived. I had to do the socialization and a lot more training with Sweepea...

Red fronts are pretty docile anyway, but...

She's just got "the gift."

I don't know anyone who hasn't just gushed about her, or their mac... and I know there are a few of them on this board.
Birdman, what breeder did Sweetpea come from, if you mind telling? Or was she a rescue?

She's one of Cindy's birds. Blackstone aviaries in San Diego.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back