Rescue a Parrot, don't buy new ;)

Ladyeclectic

Oct 6, 2010
Central California
Parrots
Green-cheek Conure "Mishka" - Sun conure "Calypso"
I've been considering (for my next bird) whether getting a baby or adoption is the better option - there's so many wonderful birds out there in need of a good home! I love reading rescue stories - heartbreaking, yet at the same time so very hopeful of a brighter future. :)

Last edited:

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Adopting a second, third, or forth hand bird should be for the more experienced bird person. These birds require a lot of time, patience and understanding of birds and their various signals. So although I think people should consider adopting a used or unwanted bird, folks should realize their limitations going in. It would help to keep the bird from being bounced around again once the new parrot parent realizes that the previous owners got rid of the bird for other reasons then just "we are moving and can't take it with us", "I just don't have enough time to spend with it or the bird".

I see this all the time on Craigslist, but yet there are loads of people wanting to adopt the animals if the re-homing fee is cheap or at least reasonable. But new parents fail to read the signs or signals put out by the previous owner such as "I just don't have the time to spend with it or the bird = DESOCIALIZED, "we are moving and can't take the bird with us" = YOUR KIDDING RIGHT, but yet if you check thoroughly, you will see that they are taking their DOG or CAT.

The main signs I don't want to see when responding to an adoption ad is for the animal bird, cat or dog to be referred to as IT or BIRD. This to me throws up flags that the previous owner has already became impersonal to the animal for some reason. So this can mean aggression, overly needy, noisy, sickly and so on.

So I'm fully in favor of someone adopting a second hand bird as long as they fully understand what they are getting into and how to avoid the pitfalls of the previous owner. If not, then buy from a qualified breeder, pay the big bucks and have someone who you can rely on for future advice once your bird starts growing and no longer that cuddly little chick you remember.

Mike

Mondos Parents

Jan 21, 2011
Media
Louisville, KY
Parrots
YC x YN Amazon "Mondo" ,Green Wing Macaw "Bob" & Catablue Macaw "Jake"
So true, just can hardly beleive that people can do that to ANY animal. I guess, I'm just getting old but, I have more respect for animals than most humans.
G.

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
RIP Hugo (African Brown Headed Parrot) 2 years old, lil Rosie May (Lovebird)
quarantine, quarantine, quarantine...if its your second bird. This thread is an amazing thread - awesome!!! Adopting is the way forward but under the knowledge that your taking in a bird that may not behave how you want them to behave. As long as the owner loves the bird for who they are and what they have been through there will be so many happy re-homed birds who will be able to cherish life :)

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
So true, just can hardly beleive that people can do that to ANY animal. I guess, I'm just getting old but, I have more respect for animals than most humans.
G.

It just breaks my heart to see how little people care about their pets. I've only had Tiki for a month, but you better bet, I wouldn't part with him for anything.

MIke

birdiemomma

Dec 2, 2010
California
Parrots
My Hahn's Macaw Bella <3
While I definitely support adopting a parrot and giving it a great home I feel as if some members look down on others who buy babies new. It makes me sad because we all have different choices and they should all be respected.

SharonC

May 26, 2010
I've done both. I've adopted three and bought two from breeders. There's nothing wrong with doing either....it's a personal decision.:)

birdiemomma

Dec 2, 2010
California
Parrots
My Hahn's Macaw Bella <3
I would absolutely love to adopt one at a time in my life when I am available to. I am not looking to fight with anybody but wanted to make it clear that both choices are okay :)

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
To be honest, and I hate it, I honestly do not think that there are even 5% of humans out there that can take on an abused bird or a bird with behavioural problems. I am sorry but that is the truth. :(

It is hard, VERY HARD and you must be prepared to be bitten forever, you must be prepared to think super fast ALL THE TIME - never relax. You must be prepared to set everything else last and give 110% of yourself even while you get bitten - and it does break your heart. Your love for animals must know no boundaries and your compassion and patience must be unmeasurable.

You must think like the animal, you have to understand him and always see and understand the reason and never judge the action or result.

Apart from these poor animals being shoved from the one to the next, some people do keep them, but they are kept locked up. To me, that is just another form of abuse.

..... But there are A LOT of birds out there that are up for adoption that are rehabilitated. They can be taken by any one who has love and time to give and wants nothing in return.;)

In my heart, I wish the pet trade never existed. :(

Last edited:

Eclectica

Oct 8, 2006
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Dory - Cockatiel
I've rescued 4 birds, all aviary types. Two green cheeks- Alec and Diego that came from a friend who's sister bought them from a petshop, so they are not tame but needed a new home where they had more room.

I also rescued 2 Lovebirds that were abandoned in a locked aviary, owners moved and left them there.

So I believe if you can offer a home to these type of birds that just need care and a place to stay and be properly taken care of, you will make a big difference in these birds lives already.

I know I'm not ready to rescue a parrot that was abused or neglegted, I've only had my own big parrot for 5 years and don't believe I'm experienced enough to take on such a responsibility. I would one day love to look into adopting, but for now I need to take care of the ones I have :)

Most Reactions