Rescue Birds scared of hands

IcyWinteRose

Nov 23, 2021
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Stitch and Angel: Caiques
Hey guys,

My Fiancé and I started volunteering at a local Bird rescue and none of their small birds are hand friendly. They seem to pay all their attention to their larger Macaws and Cockatoos. Not so much their Amazons, and Conures. If you reach in they all run away from your hands and want nothing to do with you. I would love to take the extra time to socialize them so they are more adoptable but im only there one day a week. what would be my best start point, or is it even worth it with the minimal time I can commit?

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Talk to the staff at the bird rescue about it and let them know how unsocialized the small birds are, unless you think you can start volunteering more often. It's a good idea to speak to them anyway before starting a project with any of the birds.

OP
IcyWinteRose

IcyWinteRose

Nov 23, 2021
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Stitch and Angel: Caiques
Talk to the staff at the bird rescue about it and let them know how unsocialized the small birds are, unless you think you can start volunteering more often. It's a good idea to speak to them anyway before starting a project with any of the birds.
They dont seem bothered by the little ones being shy. but they have allot going on right now, which is why I figured I might be able to put in a little more effort on my own while Im there volunteering and socializing everyone.

Most Reactions

Latest posts