Rescue

penjn

Jan 30, 2017
I recently acquired a blue gold macaw. He was in 7 homes in 15yrs. The last two years he was kept in a basement with no lights and no windows. Kids would sneek down to the basement and pull out his tail feathers. I named him Cuddles and I have many issues to deal with. I will be reaching out for lots of advice.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
How horrible for that poor bird to go through all of that, but good he found you to take care of him and take him out of that situation. It may be a long and difficult road ahead for the both of you but with proper care, nutrition and love it will prove to be worth it!

I don't own a macaw personally but there are many members here who will be able to give you lots of advice and help you with the issues you are having. You have come to the right place! Welcome!! :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I recently acquired a blue gold macaw. He was in 7 homes in 15yrs. The last two years he was kept in a basement with no lights and no windows. Kids would sneek down to the basement and pull out his tail feathers. I named him Cuddles and I have many issues to deal with. I will be reaching out for lots of advice.

Well, you came to the right place. Start with the MAC Forum, reading the light blue highlighted Threads at the top of the Forum and work you way into the depth of that forum. Read anything from Birdman666! FYI: I strongly recommend setting yourself next to your MAC and reading aloud. It allows for you to more quickly set the information in your mind and your MAC to develop a comfort being around you.

Welcome!

OP
P

penjn

Jan 30, 2017
How horrible for that poor bird to go through all of that, but good he found you to take care of him and take him out of that situation. It may be a long and difficult road ahead for the both of you but with proper care, nutrition and love it will prove to be worth it!

I don't own a macaw personally but there are many members here who will be able to give you lots of advice and help you with the issues you are having. You have come to the right place! Welcome!! :)

Feelin the love..TY!!

OP
P

penjn

Jan 30, 2017

Well, you came to the right place. Start with the MAC Forum, reading the light blue highlighted Threads at the top of the Forum and work you way into the depth of that forum. Read anything from Birdman666! FYI: I strongly recommend setting yourself next to your MAC and reading aloud. It allows for you to more quickly set the information in your mind and your MAC to develop a comfort being around you.

Welcome!

Very thankful for your direction. I will read and absorb like a sponge. I want the best for Cuddles and can only hope he can trust again.

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
Welcome and thank you for rescuing cuddles. We are here to help... Your questions and concerns will never be to small or stupid. Let's get some pictures up:)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums, thank you for rescuing Cuddles from a miserable experience. As SailBoat mentioned, the Macaw forum is a treasure chest, and the threads/posts by Birdman666 are invaluable!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
You're my latest hero!
So glad you found us... and that macaw!

Nicky76

Apr 17, 2016
UK
Parrots
Archie the Patagonian Conure and Chilli and Doris the Kakarikis ❤️
Welcome to the forum [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eve2

Jan 30, 2017
I'm so glad you rescued this Macaw, not many would take on such a big bird with issues. I totally agree with Sailboat about reading aloud to your Macaw, music is good too. Also hand he/she nice treats, it doesn't matter if the bird wont take them from you just drop them in his dish if he doesn't take them. Macaws are very intelligent birds and learn fast. (not to say other birds are not!) Stay calm and don't react to any type of bad behavior, even a nip if that happens. Routine is good too because the bird will know what to expect and it will build trust. Talk to the macaw as much as possible, and give him plenty of safe toys to play with. With the history of the poor bird he/she will probably ignore them but that will change in time.
I have a B&G that is also a rescue bird, not a pet bird though. The nest box came with him because he would sleep in it and his mate at that time. Both birds were terrified of people, when I went any where near the aviary let going into the aviary the cries from them was nothing like anything I had ever heard from a Macaw, it wasn't the normal noise Macaws make, it was sheer terror. When I went into the aviary to feed them they would dive into the nest box making this frightened cry. I just talked away to them, left them nice treats that I think they never saw in their lives. It didn't take to long before they were looking out of the opening in the nest box to see what I was doing without the noise. Now he is sitting near the food bowls watching what I'm putting in the dishes. I will never be able to touch him but now he knows I wont hurt him and he trusts me. It didn't take very long. My point in telling you this is I don't believe most birds with care and kindness can't come back from abuse.

happy410

Jul 23, 2015
ALABAMA
Parrots
Happy, DYH Amazon
Tesla, Blue & Gold Macaw
Poor thing! People are so cruel. Thank you for giving him a chance of the life he deserves.

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
I am so mad. WHO on earth would admit to knowing that kids were pulling a parrots feathers?

thank you thank you thank you for rescuing this macaw.

graceyann

Dec 23, 2016
Kansas
Parrots
1 Timneh African Grey

.....from a fellow bird rescuer......KUDOS!!! Bunches of them. be it feathered or furred, hoof, paw or wing.....I hope there's a fiery place in hades for those that harm the creatures.....cause I know there's a special place for those that care.

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
Welcome. There are a few of us around who are currently working with macaws rescued from desperate situations. It's a long, slow, and frustrating process sometimes, but it's worth it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts