Sleep and nighttime.

Angieb

Jan 8, 2024
Hi.
I’ve acquired a 14month old Blue and Gold macaw and initially I thought I would move him to the spare room overnight so that he can get some quiet sleep. I don’t think that can happen yet.

(long story cut short) I picked him up from an idiot of a lad yesterday who in the 2 days he had him decided to sell his decent sized cage for a smaller one. Knowing he was trying to rehome him. (More money in his pocket) I’m so angry about it. So poor Rocco not only has to get used to us and our home he also has a rubbish cage to get used to. Hes been so forgiving tho and upto now is very friendly considering.
Anyway trying to get him into his cage today was an absolute knightmare so for now he is going to have to stay in the living room 24 hours for a while. The reason I’m worried is the living room is never pitch black and the tv is on low all night. The reason for this is due to our daughter having special needs and a waking night carer in there all night. The light is only a lamp and the tv will be on low volume. I’m hoping this is going to be ok for him? I just think for now it’s the best of the two options I have.

I am on the lookout for a new cage I am just a bit short on money this week now as I’ve paid out at least £1600 in the last 24 hours. It is my priority tho as his cage is way too small.

My last question (for now) he keeps running his beak across the bars of the cage. Is this normal behaviour? I’m hoping it’s just his way of saying he wants to get out and it’s not because he’s stressed too much.. he’s eating, drinking, making noises and saying the random hello.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Can you cover his cage at night to make it darker? The tv on low volume may actually act like “ white noise.” My birds settle down at night when I turn the air purifier on high. I think it helps both to mask household noises and to signal them that it’s bedtime.

Rubbing his beak on the bars could be a “ let me out” or a sign of boredom. Give him lots of toys and even whole fresh veggies to shred. It sounds like he is settling in pretty well so far ❤️

petunia

Jan 8, 2024
Parrots
Jcas was correct, soft noise is perfect! How long have you had him, right now he is confused and the best thing to do is let him figure out his routine, then yours!

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Hi.
I’ve acquired a 14month old Blue and Gold macaw and initially I thought I would move him to the spare room overnight so that he can get some quiet sleep. I don’t think that can happen yet.

(long story cut short) I picked him up from an idiot of a lad yesterday who in the 2 days he had him decided to sell his decent sized cage for a smaller one. Knowing he was trying to rehome him. (More money in his pocket) I’m so angry about it. So poor Rocco not only has to get used to us and our home he also has a rubbish cage to get used to. Hes been so forgiving tho and upto now is very friendly considering.
Anyway trying to get him into his cage today was an absolute knightmare so for now he is going to have to stay in the living room 24 hours for a while. The reason I’m worried is the living room is never pitch black and the tv is on low all night. The reason for this is due to our daughter having special needs and a waking night carer in there all night. The light is only a lamp and the tv will be on low volume. I’m hoping this is going to be ok for him? I just think for now it’s the best of the two options I have.

I am on the lookout for a new cage I am just a bit short on money this week now as I’ve paid out at least £1600 in the last 24 hours. It is my priority tho as his cage is way too small.

My last question (for now) he keeps running his beak across the bars of the cage. Is this normal behaviour? I’m hoping it’s just his way of saying he wants to get out and it’s not because he’s stressed too much.. he’s eating, drinking, making noises and saying the random hello.
Hi. You can try and find a used cage. My cage is worth $800 brand new and I got it for $50 second hand with just a little damage.
Regarding your macaw I don't know that much about them to be giving solid advise but you can try covering the cage with a towel if you think it helps him.
Anyway big bird big responsibility, I hope you do well with it

OP
A

Angieb

Jan 8, 2024
Can you cover his cage at night to make it darker? The tv on low volume may actually act like “ white noise.” My birds settle down at night when I turn the air purifier on high. I think it helps both to mask household noises and to signal them that it’s bedtime.

Rubbing his beak on the bars could be a “ let me out” or a sign of boredom. Give him lots of toys and even whole fresh veggies to shred. It sounds like he is settling in pretty well so far ❤️
Thank you for the reassurance. He settled down and did go quiet. I covered his cage with a blanket. So fingers crossed this routine will work.

The bar rubbing got worse in the evening. I was a little anxious over it if I’m honest. I think it’s probably a mixture of new cage that’s way smaller to what he’s used to and let me out. I went and bought him some toys and new perches yesterday, he’s only played with the bell as upto now.

I think I’m going to order the new cage today for it to arrive tomorrow. I can’t let him get so wound up like that. I need to get everything in place for him for him to settle asap. He’s doing brilliantly and even stepped up yesterday for me but hated going back in, which was a nightmare. I need to find his favourite food quickly!

OP
A

Angieb

Jan 8, 2024
Jcas was correct, soft noise is perfect! How long have you had him, right now he is confused and the best thing to do is let him figure out his routine, then yours!
He came here on Monday evening. I know he’s confused and I feel so sorry for him as he’s been in 3 homes in the last week! Passed around to idiots and then one sold his cage and put him in a small one! He is so forgiving tho and has been a sweetheart. He needs his bigger cage asap.

I always wanted a parrot and was seriously looking as I’ve got lots more time now my children have grown up.

OP
A

Angieb

Jan 8, 2024
Hi. You can try and find a used cage. My cage is worth $800 brand new and I got it for $50 second hand with just a little damage.
Regarding your macaw I don't know that much about them to be giving solid advise but you can try covering the cage with a towel if you think it helps him.
Anyway big bird big responsibility, I hope you do well with it
Yes I’ve looked and messaged about the only one big enough in traveling distance and he hasn’t replied to me.
I’m going to order one today for him as I can’t leave it much longer.

I know he’s a huge responsibility. I’ve looked and researched parrots for years as I always knew that I would get one. I’d set the ball rolling on looking and registering with rescues as my children are grown up now and I’ve lots of time.
Someone i knew, got intouch with me regarding him and telling me he was being passed from pillar to post. Would I have got a macaw? Probably not but here I am. I will do my absolute best by him tho!! Up to now he’s been so forgiving, bless him.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I like your style! You may have taken on a big responsibility without a lot of experience, but you're energetic, humble, open to advice and caring. Good advice above. Stay with us: there's great education and support here. Welcome!

OP
A

Angieb

Jan 8, 2024
I like your style! You may have taken on a big responsibility without a lot of experience, but you're energetic, humble, open to advice and caring. Good advice above. Stay with us: there's great education and support here. Welcome!
Thank you! I’m trying…

Most Reactions

Latest posts