Reusing a bird cage?

skyeblue

Aug 21, 2017
Can I reuse a bird cage that used to house a sick parakeet for another bird? Will it be safe if I clean it a lot or do I need to get another cage?

Diluted Bleach, sunshine, plenty of water! Mixing a little bit of Dawn with the bleach will increase it's wetting ability and make it more effective!Then vinegar, sunshine, and plenty of water!

Worth saying, NEVER mix bleach with vinegar! Deadly gases, holes in your lungs!

If it is a wire style cage, all the better! If you have one, steam clean too!

Edit: Need to add, except for the deadly mix combo, everything else is 'off the top of my head' suggestions! Open to correction or down right rebuttal!

Last edited:
Diluted Bleach, sunshine, plenty of water! Mixing a little bit of Dawn with the bleach will increase it's wetting ability and make it more effective!Then vinegar, sunshine, and plenty of water!

Edit: Need to add, except for the deadly mix combo, everything else is 'off the top of my head' suggestions! Open to correction or down right rebuttal!

David nailed it well! Only clarity is 'plenty of water,' which means extensive rising.

Let dry in bright Sunshine!

Thank you for the answers! This may be a stupid question but, should I use hot water or cold?

Isn't bleach dangerous for birds though? I know budgies are really sensitive to chemicals and I wouldn't want him accidentally ingesting traces of bleach by chewing on the cage bars.

Isn't bleach dangerous for birds though? I know budgies are really sensitive to chemicals and I wouldn't want him accidentally ingesting traces of bleach by chewing on the cage bars.
That is why the rinse well and sunshine! Remember, bleach completely breaks down as it oxidizes! Sodium hypochlorite breaks down into oxygen and salt water.
https://www.clorox.com/dr-laundry/bleach-101/

Also, the second wash with vinegar (after sitting in the sun and dry) is a double whammy! The acidity goes after pathogens in a different manner, and any possibility of bleach would be neutralized! Do outside please!

Last edited:
bleach deteriorates to salt water so long as it's not some sort of super bleach with super additives it's fine. Just rinse it all off real well.

Okay thank you for the answers! I will use bleach but how much should I dilute it- what ratio of water to bleach?

um 50-50 then lots of rinse, I just made that up, it's fine, the bleach biodegrades...so sure 50-50 is perfect. so long as the bird isn't around at the time it's of no importance.

Okay can I clean the plastic food and water bowl the same way too or should I buy new ones? I'm sorry for all the questions by the way! I just want to make sure the cage is completely parakeet-safe.

The dishes if dishwasher proof could go through that?

Mind your clothes with the bleach as it will take colour out. Black and navy with pink spots on - I have a few like that LOL.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back