Right Diet for Golden Conure

robertoracy

Jan 4, 2022
Parrots
Amazon
Hello Everyone!

I think this is a more specific question and here is the place to source. What seed mix do you guys give your conures? Besides pellets I like to offer all options to have the most variable combination on a diet. I usually give my Golden Conure mix of fresh vegetables in the morning, I give him pelletes and in the afternoon seeds. He loves seeds specially the larger size. But I am struggling finding a neutral mix for big parrots since Golden Conure has bigger beaks and I notice he only gets what he can grab and eat, not small size seeds. I feel he has a large parrot taste for food but he is still a conure, which is tricky. I looks he loves sweeter side like fruits but I cant give that much to him. Golden Conures have a specific diet and I am still trying to understand the best proportion of fat, protein etc for the species.

Would love to know your experience about brands and types of seed mix, most are enhanced, sugar added or have a lot sunflower.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcome to the forum! Would love more pictures and to hear about your conure! One of my dream species.

We talk diets a lot here but not often species specific ( except Eclectus and such)
I'm always striving to proved the best and most varied i can reading up. Soaked and cooked legume, lentils, and sprouts , and whole grains, lots of veggies. I try and cycle through all the parrot safe foods.

I've tried to read up native plants and food sources from the native origin of my species.....but I never can find much.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hello Everyone!

I think this is a more specific question and here is the place to source. What seed mix do you guys give your conures? Besides pellets I like to offer all options to have the most variable combination on a diet. I usually give my Golden Conure mix of fresh vegetables in the morning, I give him pelletes and in the afternoon seeds. He loves seeds specially the larger size. But I am struggling finding a neutral mix for big parrots since Golden Conure has bigger beaks and I notice he only gets what he can grab and eat, not small size seeds. I feel he has a large parrot taste for food but he is still a conure, which is tricky. I looks he loves sweeter side like fruits but I cant give that much to him. Golden Conures have a specific diet and I am still trying to understand the best proportion of fat, protein etc for the species.

Would love to know your experience about brands and types of seed mix, most are enhanced, sugar added or have a lot sunflower.
I use Dr. Harveys seed, it has nothing artificial in it and they make like 6 different blends, 2 of them are for large parrots with bigger seeds and stuff, the cockatiel blend has some larger seeds etc. in it as well. Their seed mixes are one of the best I think.

OP
robertoracy

robertoracy

Jan 4, 2022
Parrots
Amazon
Welcome to the forum! Would love more pictures and to hear about your conure! One of my dream species.

We talk diets a lot here but not often species specific ( except Eclectus and such)
I'm always striving to proved the best and most varied i can reading up. Soaked and cooked legume, lentils, and sprouts , and whole grains, lots of veggies. I try and cycle through all the parrot safe foods.

I've tried to read up native plants and food sources from the native origin of my species.....but I never can find much.

Yes it is true. And I love the concept of giving them the regional food. But there is no information about it. This is a key factor to give them a good life. Golden Conure lives in a very specific region in Brazil so I am trying to search if their natural feeding has more fruits.

OP
robertoracy

robertoracy

Jan 4, 2022
Parrots
Amazon
I use Dr. Harveys seed, it has nothing artificial in it and they make like 6 different blends, 2 of them are for large parrots with bigger seeds and stuff, the cockatiel blend has some larger seeds etc. in it as well. Their seed mixes are one of the best I think.
Thanks for sharing! I have looked it, dont you think there is too much fruit? Or sugar? This is my only concern over time. But it is in my list. I do Tops pelletes but I want to offer seed mix as well.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Thanks for sharing! I have looked it, dont you think there is too much fruit? Or sugar? This is my only concern over time. But it is in my list. I do Tops pelletes but I want to offer seed mix as well.
Hmm I guess the larger bird mixes do have a lot of fruit, you could get another seed mix like Goldenfeast and mix them. I've never used Goldenfeast but their ingredients are pretty good.

Most Reactions