Right now Salty is.....

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The tall large cans of "NON-Expanding" foam should provide enough for five to six standard windows. If your windows are the Larger, Tall Version, that would reduce that back to three to four.

Buy from a Big Box Store and check the dates on the cans!! FYI: Assure you purchase on a Credit Card and keep the receipt so that you can return what is not used. Buying a few extra cans and return what you do not use!! They may have a case, consider buying one knowing you will be returning what you do not use. FYI: Remember that you are replacing doors as well!!

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
All day yesterday and most of the evening, I was suffering from a lower GI tract issue, not pleasant, and I spent little time with him. As a result, Salty was being very "reluctant" to to get taken back to his cage for bed. Because I did not want to add beak lacerations to the list of pain, he slept the night on his daytime play chain and at some point put himself to bed, because this AM I found him in his cage on his normal sleeping perch. I expect him to be grouchy today! We shall see.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
If he is grumpy today, it maybe leftovers from yesterday more than not getting a full nights sleep. as when he transferred to his sleeping perch, he likely sleep deeper than normal. We had a series of strong storms move though last night dropping much needed rain!! Julio was guarding his house and his Humans, and has been napping this morning. Zero interest in moving and grumpy if we try.

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Holy Mother of....... this is LOUD with a capitol L !! Workmen on all 4 sides of the house, a hammerin' and a nailing, knocking stuff off of bookshelves and handing out headaches 13 to the dozen. We are looking at 4 days of this. Poor Salty is huddled in a corner of his cage, and I doubt I will be letting him out during the daytime, he would likely just try to fly off and smack into a window or wall. Yipes! The dog is not much better, Tinker HATES loud bangs and noises.

And I thought this was going to be a GOOD idea?? o_Oo_Oo_O🤪🤬😵‍💫😵‍💫🔨🔨🪜

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Never rains , it pours. THe whole house fan has decided its time to stop working , and the contractor disconnected and threw out the Verzion phone thingy, now I gotta contact them to have a new line installed ( and believe me you have a better chance of talking with St Christopher then a live person at Verizon).

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I had my windows replaced in May and was so lucky that a couple people on the team knew parrots - they worked room to room instead of all removal followed by install followed by trim, so that I could keep Cotton and the dog in a "safe" room with me for the day, then run a purifier in a finished room and move the next day. Thankfully no re-siding so the noise was not nearly as bad as yours sounds! Good luck!!

Last edited:

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
My vote goes to Verizon for the world's worst customer service. I'd rather have a tooth pulled without anesthetic than to have to attempt to solve a problem with my Verizon service.

Poor Salty. Scooter the CAG would be at least as nervous as Salty, but QP Ralph would be tapping back at the hammering. He loves tapping noises and when new siding was installed on my apartment building, Ralph did as much hammering as the installers. :rolleyes:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Seems like every summer since I’ve moved in there’s tuck pointing done on our building. And some sort of horrible saw whining loudly at 7 am when I have a migraine.

Lucy thought the hammering noise was great, though if it’s ever particularly loud I will cover the birds until it’s quieter. It seems it’s better for them to drowse through this than be awake and upset. ??

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I just realized something…Willow does not seem to enjoy making noise for the sake of making noise.

He has a set of steel measuring spoons that Lucy used to rattle and scream at joyously. I shake them and he looks at me like “what’s your problem?” Willow also doesn’t pluck the cage bars (so annoying) or shake the jingling kitty ball.

The only bird I had that was quieter was a blind conure (years ago) but that made sense: a blind conure would be lunch if it screamed.

Willow is just very quiet. I wonder if listening to the radio or cds would help. Or what might encourage him to talk more? Willow only talks in his cage.

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Well the banging is over, and Salty seems to have weathered it OK. He is going thru a period of ......... niceness! Happy to snuggle me on my shoulder, singing, hangng out on Erik's shoulder as he does dishes. You know, nice. Maybe just relief from all the noise? So happy doing training, running from trick to trick. Waiting for the other shoe to drop!

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Took Salty on an outing today, prolly the last one of the year, but we'll see. We went to get toys for him, and as usual I let him pick them out. He kinda likes WAY too many for my wallet, but we got some some of his favorites. Then we stopped to have an adult beverage at a local sport bar, wall to wall football. He got his picture taken. THen we went to Guitar center to check out some new equipment for the band. He was so mellow despite some kid blasting away on some stupid rock stuff - didn't phase him the least, can't say the same for me. HE was singing on the way over in the car, he really likes car rides - all fluffed up and watching the cars. I hope we can squeeze in a few more outings this year!

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Last night's training session, I pulled out a prop we haven't used in months and months (stuck in a box next to his trick prop box), the rolling cylinder. The trick is for him to stand on the side of the cylinder and balance himself. Wow, he did it no sweat, perfectly. Remembering all that muscle control from months and months ago, I was pretty impressed. Back it goes into regular trick rotation.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I'm so glad that life has settled down, with Salty back to his usual genius and goodwill towards pirates.
I was just about to invite you all to Ohio for a nice vacayyy!!!

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Today was Chop day. 22 baggies 1/2 quart each, good for 5 days each.
Corn
Kale
Arugala
broccoli-rabe
red beet greens
carrot sticks
Broccoli
red bell peppers
habanero peppers - lots
jalapeno peppers - lots
hot red chili peppers - lots
mustard greens
baby spinach

Salty was singing with the food processer, which is a life saver when making chop. Also picked up a bunch of mini-pumpkins, he loves them cooked w/seeds taken out. Didn't include any grains or pasta this time. Bon Appetite' buddy!

Most Reactions

Latest posts