Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
SO trick training with a mini Jenga not going so great because Salty CHEATS! He only takes from the top of the tower! Oh he does that with great gusto, try to get him to take from the middle of the pile - nope! I think I will glue the top 3 pieces together so he can't pick them up and he has to go to the second layer. So crafty this little bird!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Salty's probably wondering why you can't figure out taking pieces from the top makes the most sense. Hahahahaha!

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Poor Salty! it was CRAZY windy last night, I mean really crazy! It sounded like the middle of a hurricane and was even rattling the windows and doors! Salty was so scared, he couldn't concentrate during the night's training session. He would stop in mid-trick and look around warily, even during his favorite tricks. I felt so bad and was reassuring him that everything was OK. We cut it short, and I gave him a few treats as I was holding him.

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
I think we may have turned the corner on this year's hormone season. May. Salty and I rough housed for awhile this afternoon, a real fun tussle. I would not have done that 3 weeks ago, I value my fingers too much. On top of that a nice scratching session. Salty didn't want to leave my shoulder, not even for dinner!!!! LOL, he'll probably give me a 3rd nostril tomorrow.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Wait, an Amazon missing out on Dinner? Now that is a fixated Amazon!

Congratulations on your household turning the corner on this years Hormonal Season. Julio is showing signs of slowing down. Thank God, as it has been a long and heavy flow season this year!

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
LOL, yeah another way I can tell is all the scabs on my hands have healed and fallen off, and I don't have any fresh ones! When Salty nails me, its not that pointy upper beak that gets me, it's that scythe like lower mandible. That sucker is SHARP! Good to know that Julio is coming down off the "mountain" !

Lest any noobs think that Salty is a blood thirsty Amazon, he's not. Non-hormone season, he is predictable, calm-ish, and will play rough with me without spiraling into overdrive. Hormones really do affect parrots and they have no control over their actions. They react and then look at you like ' WTF was that ??' .

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Wait, an Amazon missing out on Dinner? Now that is a fixated Amazon!

Congratulations on your household turning the corner on this years Hormonal Season. Julio is showing signs of slowing down. Thank God, as it has been a long and heavy flow season this year!

Things are calming down here too hormone wise. Still finding sleeves and rudders from both fid's.
The wind was howling here too Al,rattling the living room windows. I heard Amy squawk a few times around midnight..poor thing prolly was wondering WTH was going on out there.

Jim

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
So Very True Al! Those "it's that scythe like lower mandible" cuts like butter with a hot knife!

Julio is in a Heaven State today as this is now three days in a roll of Sunshine, morning to night!

We had that wind storm prior to it moving East. Julio was marching the house assuring that his Humans are safe and screaming at the wind when it push heavier! Very happy when that storm moved on! Julio napped!

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Salty managed to totally destroy his favorite foot toy, a plastic rollie cylinder with a bell inside it and he was acting off while in his cage. A box of them arrived yesterday and now all is right with the world, at least temporarily. Stoopid Daddy, how could you not have anticipated it.

He does love it, even though he plays with it for awhile and then unceremoniously throws it out of his cage. We can even hear it - tinkle, tinkle, tinkle, tinkle, tinkle (squeal), silence, then crash (tinkle tinkle).

Gotta keep him happy, cuz we all know when the parrot ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
That is so very true!

Happy Amazon, Happy Home!

Julio was mad at a turkey that elected to use his backyard! Every east facing window was visited by Julio until that turkey got the message and left!

Rival_of_the_Rickeybird

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 31, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
None. My wife has one too many. Kidding!
Happy Amazon, Happy Home. Good one, gentlemen. :)
Hereabouts, I got HappyConureHappyWifeHappyHome. Works for me.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Spent the last couple days in the hospital :eek: won't go in to it...David had to tend to the fid's. He and Amy don't really see eye to eye. He said he was extremely aggressive! Managed to feed him and give him his meds though with no injuries,even bought home pidgeon drum sticks for him.
I got home today and Amy was even nasty to me! Then realized who it was and asked for skritches and started with HELLO HELLO. Crazy birds.

Jim

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Spent the last couple days in the hospital :eek: won't go in to it...David had to tend to the fid's. He and Amy don't really see eye to eye. He said he was extremely aggressive! Managed to feed him and give him his meds though with no injuries,even bought home pidgeon drum sticks for him.
I got home today and Amy was even nasty to me! Then realized who it was and asked for skritches and started with HELLO HELLO. Crazy birds.

Jim

Just an FYI: You may want to include David as part of some interactions with Amy as although Julio loves his girlfriend, he does have to put-up with me. By interaction in a non-emergency setting helps when an emergency happens.

Big Old Amazon Feather Hugs Good Friend.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17

Jim

I hope you’re recovering well, my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raeleigh26

Dec 27, 2020

Jim
Just now catching up on this thread, I do hope you are well soon!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Just chatted with Jim. He is doing ok, on the mend. We both missed having play dates in 2020 with Amy, Beebs and Salty ( they love each other!).

Speaking of Amy, he and Salty are both still in the throes of mating season, hopefully that will begin to taper off. Salty's been doing OK with his flying, he can go from one end of the house to the other and land pretty securely. Sine we seldom have visitors and I am out of the house rarely, the chances of Salty taking a powder are remote, so I haven't had his wings trimmed. We shall see what spring and summer bring.

Jenga. Still working on this trick. Salty had us laughing so much the other night doing this trick. His idea of it is to take off as many Jenga sticks as he can, as fast as he can. Faster than I can replace them on top of the pile. I was like "Slow Down! You're Killing Me". Not the classic Jenga game at any rate.

I think tonight we will have a sports night - pool, darts, basketball, skateboard, hoops and bowling.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We had been at the cabin this last weekend and Mrs. Boats pulled out the Jenga sticks game. So, I called Salty rules apply! The humor was over the top! I will forever be thankful for Salty's version of that game!

Most Reactions

Latest posts