Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Salty is missing his Mommy, as she is in hospital for what looks like a week. He is very quiet, for him, and touchy because she is a daily presence in his life that is missing. And I've been in and out visiting her, so his schedule is all out of whack. He'll be fine once she comes home! Trying to get him to say "Hi Geri" like he already says "Hi Daddy", that will thrill her no end.

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
I been singing to Salty in the AM since Geri is still in hospital. I sing "Salty boy, Oh my little Salty boy" to the tune of "Soldier Boy" by THE SHIRELLES, 1962. Man, I am OLD!!!!

The docs think they have a better handle on why Geri's BP keeps going up and down like the Dow Jones, and I hope she will be released on Friday! My girl is taking it like a trooper though. Even wizing off with the nursing staff, I told her that's not really the way to endear yourself to the staff and get the bed pan changed on time!

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Oh that would be great if she could come home in just a couple days! I bet the nurses love Geri and you too. Sarcastic wit is the love language of healthcare workers :) I bet Salty has been enjoying his morning serenades, too! But not as much as having mom home and the normal routine, I'm sure.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
This was so fun to watch! Cotton was absolutely delighted by Salty singing along with the xylophone! As was I :)

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
LOL, Salty had his first Spring "Wash Out" today. Like a lot of parrots he loves to give himself a bath in his water dish, which unfortunately is in a corner and is only 6" in diameter, so mostly his head gets wet. I'll try and take him out to follow up with a misting, but thats not always possible. Today I caught him just as he started head dipping and was able to coax him out and put him on a handy chair back and gave him a soaking, a really good soaking. He went to town, spreading his wings, tail, head feathers - everything. Looked like he doubled in size :):). He was a thoroughly hydrated birdie! It was so spur of the moment , I didn't have a chance to grab a phone or camera, woulda made a great POTM pic. We usually don't stand a chance when we are up against those cute as heck Conures, but this one might have has us in the running. Oh Welp. Maybe next time. Happy Spring (?) from the ever erratic North East USA!

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Such a beautiful day here on the Isle of Long, I took Salty out and about in his harness. We have been doing harness drills every night lately during his training session and it pays off - calmly put it on, such a gentleman! Went to get some new toys for him, stopped for an adult beverage and finally we went to the car wash to give the Z3 a good cleaning. The car scared Salty when it came out and thank God he had his harness on, because he took off like a bat. Yoink~ sure surprised him.

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
The band has started to pick up again, which means missed training sessions and Geri trying to get Salty back in his cage at nite, which was always a problem when I am not home. Geri figured out a 100% way to do it. She puts 5-6 pine nuts in the bowl I use for training sessions, and puts them into his cage at bedtime. The allure of pine nuts is too strong, and Salty scoots into the cage every time. Evil? maybe - don't care! At least he is getting his shut eye.

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
New chop day!
Chicory
Kale
Carrot greens
Red beet greens
carrots
corn
purple cauliflower
Yellow cauliflower
massive amount of mixed hot peppers
Broccoli
Rabe
Red peppers
KNow I am leafing somethings out.

19 five day baggies - lotta chop for sure.

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Whoopee - Salty loves the new batch of chop! Judging by the amount left on the floor of his feeding station, he is eating more of this batch than others we have prepared. The cauliflower really does a great job of absorbing the excess water liberated when the nights batch is microwaved.

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
So we are having the house re-sided and all new windows and exterior doors replaced, starting on Monday. We may or may not need to vacate the premises during this 4 day (?) do over. Geri's brother has kindly offered to have her over for a few days, since all the A/C's have to be taken out. But, since he has several cats, Salty and I cannot do that. I am highly allergic to them, and I don't trust any cat around Salty. Guess we may stay at the local no-tell motel.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Your going to be surprised how quickly they can switch-out windows and doors. If sealing the area around the windows and doors with Insulation (non-expanding) foam was not part of the work, I would recommend that you obtain several cans from you local big box store or have that work added to the contract.

The siding will be much the same. As you know, they install that product so that it can expand and contact, i.e. not tight against the building. Your Home may have been build without a plastic sheet rap, assure that it is part of the project.

Salty will likely be bossing the workers, it should be fun to watch. If he becomes distracted by all the onsite staff, move him to currently non-effected part of the home.

Yes, I know that you are likely up on all this stuff, but I wanted to get it out there incase someone that does not know what to watch for. are aware. I learned this stuff from having our new home built now eight years ago. I was shocked then our windows and doors where installed without insulating foam. That got changed quickly.

Most Reactions