Kyrnar04

Dec 19, 2021
Parrots
Green alexanderine parrot (male)
Yellow indian ringneck parrot (male)
Hi
I have a pair of yellow IRN.
On 20/2 they laid their first egg.
From that day i decided to not disturb their nest until the 23 days that the eggs needed to hatch passed. I kept feeding them daily. I checked their nest on day 23 that the chicks were supoosed to hatch and there was nothing.
I contacted a local breeder and asked him about it and he said to give them a day or two. And he told me that if they dont hatch by then they probably won't. He also told me to do the flash light check( i know that you are supposed to do it in days 7-14 but i did not want to disturb them since they were first timers).I didn't do the flashlight check in the end but i checked daily if they had hatched or not. And yesterday on 20/3 exactly 4 weeks after laying the first egg the chicks hatched.
My question is why did they take so long? When i asked the local breeder about it he said that he has never seen them take this long to hatch so he didn't know the awnser to my question so am asking here.

(Sorry for the long paragraphs)

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hi
I have a pair of yellow IRN.
On 20/2 they laid their first egg.
From that day i decided to not disturb their nest until the 23 days that the eggs needed to hatch passed. I kept feeding them daily. I checked their nest on day 23 that the chicks were supoosed to hatch and there was nothing.
I contacted a local breeder and asked him about it and he said to give them a day or two. And he told me that if they dont hatch by then they probably won't. He also told me to do the flash light check( i know that you are supposed to do it in days 7-14 but i did not want to disturb them since they were first timers).I didn't do the flashlight check in the end but i checked daily if they had hatched or not. And yesterday on 20/3 exactly 4 weeks after laying the first egg the chicks hatched.
My question is why did they take so long? When i asked the local breeder about it he said that he has never seen them take this long to hatch so he didn't know the awnser to my question so am asking here.

(Sorry for the long paragraphs)
The incubation time is somewhat of an estimate. It doesn't even start to run until "full time" incubation begins, usually after the last egg is laid. Mama instinctively holds off full time brooding so there isn't a huge size difference between the oldest and youngest chicks.

Sybil

Oct 20, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
The incubation time is somewhat of an estimate. It doesn't even start to run until "full time" incubation begins, usually after the last egg is laid. Mama instinctively holds off full time brooding so there isn't a huge size difference between the oldest and youngest chicks.
Do you know if the incubation period is usually 21 days or 25-28 days? My sun conure laid her first egg on the 1st of April and her last egg on the 9th of April. Itā€™s the 26 and now Iā€™m getting worried that the babies died or something. Should I not worry until around the 5th of May? My birds are first time parents.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Do you know if the incubation period is usually 21 days or 25-28 days? My sun conure laid her first egg on the 1st of April and her last egg on the 9th of April. Itā€™s the 26 and now Iā€™m getting worried that the babies died or something. Should I not worry until around the 5th of May? My birds are first time parents.
I can't find a clear answer to incubation time. Try to be patient. Call a bird vet and ask?

Sybil

Oct 20, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
I can't find a clear answer to incubation time. Try to be patient. Call a bird vet and ask?
I messaged one of my friends and she said itā€™s ok and to not worry šŸ˜‚ Iā€™ll call an avian vet and ask.

Most Reactions

Latest posts