Ringneck parrot obsessed with the wild parrots outside

Velou

Nov 21, 2023
Parrots
Ringneck parrot
Hello, I bought a ringneck parrot around 3weeks ago. She spends most of the time outside the cage and goes inside only to eat. I know that it takes time for her to get used to us and new home but she is still very scared of us and doesn't show any interest in us. I never paid attention to it before but it looks like there is a big flock of wild ringnecks that hang out near our home and she goes completely crazy when she sees or hears them. I'm starting to feel really bad for keeping her while there are wild ones outside and even start thinking that maybe she wasn't born in captivity. Is it a normal behaviour? Will she ever lose interest in the outside parrots in our favour? Can this make bonding with her impossible? So far it doesn't look like she will ever be tame, there's no progress at all.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Hello, I bought a ringneck parrot around 3weeks ago. She spends most of the time outside the cage and goes inside only to eat. I know that it takes time for her to get used to us and new home but she is still very scared of us and doesn't show any interest in us. I never paid attention to it before but it looks like there is a big flock of wild ringnecks that hang out near our home and she goes completely crazy when she sees or hears them. I'm starting to feel really bad for keeping her while there are wild ones outside and even start thinking that maybe she wasn't born in captivity. Is it a normal behaviour? Will she ever lose interest in the outside parrots in our favour? Can this make bonding with her impossible? So far it doesn't look like she will ever be tame, there's no progress at all.
If you bird was not hand reared it will be difficult to win its trust and tame it especially when it's so interested in the birds outside.
You can try to feed it from your hand. It can be difficult to achieve as birds are distrustful of hands but if you achieve this then your making progress

Most Reactions