Rough Molt?

alimarie

Dec 30, 2021
Parrots
Budgie and Green Cheek Conure
Iā€™ve had my budgie for 2.5 years and have never had a problem with molting before. Today as I went to play with her I noticed a medium sized bald spot close to/touching her cere. I have recently converted her to Harrisons Pellets for small birds and she seems to enjoy it just as much as the seed.
I also upgraded her cage. She has always been very open to trying new things and was relatively comfortable with the change.

I am a bit worried maybe I changed too many things at once, ( in about a weeks time) but who knows. She has been eating and drinking as normal, and been very active playing and experimenting with different toys. All while using the much needed space in her new cage.
Everything about her behavior seems better than usual, im just worried that Iā€™m missing something. She has gained 5 grams in the past week or two. Normal is 33 grams, Today I measured her and she is 38.

More info: Right now it is late winter, very cold and dry, high has been 20-30 degrees F. Just had a huge molt, feathers everywhere. She has a duck tou that she is obsessed with, not to the point I was very worried, but I ended up taking it out anyway. The skin looks normal to me, no blood, no screaming during the day. Black spots on the skin, I think thats normal, from where the feathers were. Normally she loses a few feather around her cere but nothing this drastic. Has been on a seed and ā€˜slightā€™ veggie diet for the past 2 years, finally converted her over to pellets and healthy seed diet, has no problem eating leafy greens if im holding them.
12093521-2AD4-4F32-A8A8-1361EF96E438.jpeg
D1E1180E-BDF2-4DE7-884E-B8CD3173E0E5.jpeg

Last edited:

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Definitely contact your avian vet. Better safe than sorry. It looks like a big bald spot. Does she have bald spots anywhere else on her body? I'm concerned because I see no pin-feather in the bald area which is VERY abnormal.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The Northern Hemisphere has dealt with a very cold to near brutal Winter with very Cold and Dry periods. The extreme dryness of these periods can result in dry skin conditions that can cause a larger molt. That said, feathers in those and other areas where very small feathers reside commonly patch molt, which commonly brings a scare to Humans.

The recommendation above to seeking Avian Medical Professional care is well-advised as this could be anything from a hard molt to an infestation of Mites. With the vast transformation caused by Covid, most Avian Medical Clinics are excepting emails with photos in advance of a visit. however, they commonly do this with existing clients.

Your home /apartment should be in the 40+ range of Humidity, double-check.

Remember that weight should be taken at the same time each day. Commonly after the first dump of size and before morning food is severed.

OP
A

alimarie

Dec 30, 2021
Parrots
Budgie and Green Cheek Conure
Definitely contact your avian vet. Better safe than sorry. It looks like a big bald spot. Does she have bald spots anywhere else on her body? I'm concerned because I see no pin-feather in the bald area which is VERY abnormal.
No bald spots anywhere else, I do see the little black spotshave little white/ yellow dots which looks like very small pin feathers. Iā€™ll try to get a better pic.

Attachments

• 6C800A97-3D19-4EB3-94A2-DB4B4380287A.jpeg
    6C800A97-3D19-4EB3-94A2-DB4B4380287A.jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 114

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I'm hoping that they are pin feathers. Keep an eye on it and as I said, if it worsens take her to a vet.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
2021 Parrot of the Year šŸ†
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
āœ»Csillam the rescued budgie
āœ»Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
āœ»Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
āœ»RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
āœ»RIP -Sunny the budgie
No bald spots anywhere else, I do see the little black spotshave little white/ yellow dots which looks like very small pin feathers. Iā€™ll try to get a better pic.
These definitely look like fresh new pin feathers! In budgies it is not uncommon to see these bald patches on the forehead only to be full of pin feathers, litteraly one next to each other. Trypophobia ensured!
In the very first picture i didn't see any but in second it looks that all shall be fine. Try to supplement with bit more protein during the new feather growth.

Most Reactions