Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I've just got an idea - on another (non bird related) forum I see a lot of games called as "role play" ("RP") and here we don't have any, so I thought about creating one? But first I'd like to know your opinion. Honestly, I've never played any and I have doubts about some details how to create it.

What's goin' on in such games: All players write a dialogue which is supposed to turn into a story. As you know, some not-said things are important too (eg. somebody fells down) and in such cases some extra comments are nicely seen. It is supposed to be written like "Romeo and Juliet". (actually not all RP games have to, but I prefer this version)

Ideas:
  • All the characters are parrots (but if you think, it would be better to have other animals/humas I can change it). My suggestion is that each player may create own character - it may be you fid or whatever you want.
  • I'm not sure if each person will have own character or let all player use all the characters (not only created by them)
  • I'm not sure what limit per post to give - just one speech or more
  • What do you prefer - just playing and not knowing what the story will be about, or to create a plot and trying to write according to it? In the second case - it will be ok if the plot will turn into something totally different than it was supposed to be. Who knows, maybe the main plot will be after "unexpected" events ;)
  • If to create a plot - do you have ideas for it? In this case, probably we would have to create few characters before starting (we'd use this thread for it)
Note: this thread isn't for the game, just for writing your opinions. If you think, it is too hard, this game won't be created, if you'd like it - we'll think up the detail roles here and next I'll create the separated thread for the game ;)

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Cool!
I’d play this. Dunno about other people.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Kent and Arthur Curry walked into the bar and ordered "seeds....sunflower"... They were unarmed except for there natural enhancements. They eyed the doey eyed Bugie bartender that quickly filled thier order. After a quick fat oil rush they addressed the bar....In a loud chirp Arthur claimed " we hear tale of a millet field 100 leagues to the west of here...Who is with us?"

The patrons from around the bar had heard tiddling's of such a claim...not many were interested, but a few spoke up...

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
At first some patrons ask who are you...Arthur curry said I am an explorer and rogue, Kent merely glared and said....I am the persuader..... and opened his beak menacingly.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
Say something if you're going on the adventure.......

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Then, Mr. Big Burd came forward... the most menacing, dangerous bird of the flock, and whispered in their ears.
"Shut up! Tell the patrons NOTHING. One of them is Ali Gangsta, a criminal-in-disguise, who has evaded me one too many times. This is for ME to handle boys, go outside, NOW."

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
Kent looked like he was about to attack first, think about it later but, Arthur held his wing back to block and said "yes" lets step outside Kent for a bit....enjoy some fresh air.

Arthur led Kent out the front and turned towards the stables...I bunch of bi-peds they sit on from time to time to go places. Kent was a little irate "I could have taken him!" Arthur leaned back onto an animal an said "slow down, I think more was said... than you think" lets just wait a bit.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
(I've set the tone of my characters if you need to put words in their mouths or move them around to advance the plot it's poetic license) ( Actually it's kinda their real....NVM)

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Note: It's not the game yet! We have no rules!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I've just got an idea - on another (non bird related) forum I see a lot of games called as "role play" ("RP") and here we don't have any, so I thought about creating one? But first I'd like to know your opinion. Honestly, I've never played any and I have doubts about some details how to create it.

What's goin' on in such games: All players write a dialogue which is supposed to turn into a story. As you know, some not-said things are important too (eg. somebody fells down) and in such cases some extra comments are nicely seen. It is supposed to be written like "Romeo and Juliet". (actually not all RP games have to, but I prefer this version)

Ideas:
  • All the characters are parrots (but if you think, it would be better to have other animals/humas I can change it). My suggestion is that each player may create own character - it may be your fid or whatever you want.
I think it'll be good to use just fids, maybe other pet animals we own such as dogs, cats, fish, etc.
I'm not sure if each person will have own character or let all player use all the characters (not only created by them)
I think we can do it with more than one character per person
I'm not sure what limit per post to give - just one speech or more
I think 4 sentences max.

What do you prefer - just playing and not knowing what the story will be about, or to create a plot and trying to write according to it? In the second case - it will be ok if the plot will turn into something totally different than it was supposed to be. Who knows, maybe the main plot will be after "unexpected" events ;)
I'd prefer not knowing what will happen.

Note: this thread isn't for the game, just for writing your opinions. If you think, it is too hard, this game won't be created, if you'd like it - we'll think up the detail roles here and next I'll create the separated thread for the game ;)

I think we need to add a rule- I saw you had a similar thread here on PF and every few sentences there was stealing/death/violence, there needs to be a rule that any violence can only happen every 15-20 sentences.

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
I think we can do it with more than one character per person
I didn't mean it. I meant if everybody can have excess to each characters. If no, everybody can have as many characters they want.

I think 4 sentences max.
We won't be counting sentences. It is supposed to be something like:

Player 1:
Character A: .....
B: .....
C: ....
A: ....
Player 2:
D:...
E:...
D;...
Player 1:
A;...
etc.

But I think that 4 speeches may be the maximum
Actually I have few stories written in this way, if you want, I can copy something or write something new (prob the second option, cos I'm not sure if I will find long enough parrot related fragment) marking how the game would look like on an example

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
So far rule ideas:
  • 4 speeches max
  • using only our pets? (I've seen somebody wanting to create own characters?)
  • every person can use just own pet?
  • no plot
  • no killing

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
I started thinking - in the case when each person has own pets as characters, then nobody may want to be "evil". However, I know we don't need any evil characters (eg love stories). Nevermind, just my random thought. It is supposed to not have any plot, so such things would turn out later

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
4 speeches max
actually, if each person has own characters (not available for others), we could make a bigger limit (eg 10). I think that when everyone has access to each character, such limit is more necessary.

On one hand I think it's better when each character may be used by just one person, because the owner/creator knows them the best. During using by all players, non of the characters would have own personality (because everybody may imagine them in different way)
On the second hand, some players may disappear - eg somebody can ask a question to a character owned by another player who suddenly disappeared. However I think, in such cases we can make up something - eg something happens suddenly, so we can't hear the answer.

Personally I have nothing against "only pets" role but not that some people may have just one parrot and no other pets. However I don't think it should be a problem, so far each of the interested persons have few pets

Just my thoughts, maybe it can help choosing the roles

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I started thinking - in the case when each person has own pets as characters, then nobody may want to be "evil". However, I know we don't need any evil characters (eg love stories). Nevermind, just my random thought. It is supposed to not have any plot, so such things would turn out later
I think it is ok to have a few characters with bad intentions but just- no killing every few sentences.

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
I think it is ok to have a few characters with bad intentions but just- no killing every few sentences.
Me too. Actually in each animated movie, we have such characters. But it would be better that somebody who would like to have such character, to not tell it anyone (to reveal it during the story events). Just no killing (or just failed "killing"). If nobody wants to have an evil character, it's fine too.

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
The background info: what about humans? Would you want them to exist in the universe, or something like in Parrot Land - that humans don't exist and animals replace them?
I'm asking because if we can make up own characters, maybe let's set how the universe would like. Personally I think that both ideas are ok, but if nobody can have human character, I think it's better to make without them at all

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
The background info: what about humans? Would you want them to exist in the universe, or something like in Parrot Land - that humans don't exist and animals replace them?
I'm asking because if we can make up own characters, maybe let's set how the universe would like. Personally I think that both ideas are ok, but if nobody can have human character, I think it's better to make without them at all
I dunno let's see what the other members think.

Most Reactions