runny poop

lucysmom

Jun 24, 2015
hannibal ny
Parrots
one budgie about 4 months. her name is lucy
so i have had lucy my budgie for about 3 weeks now and everything seems to be good. she seems happy and healthly, except today she pooped soft almost running poop. this morning her poop was fine. she had her seeds and greens (organic kale,spinach) celery which she does not really touch and poop was fine. after her morning mist she had fruits (pear,grapes,pineapple and kiwi). oh and shreds of coconut which she loves, loves, loves. i gave it to her yesterday and today. could the coconut cause the soft poops? she does seem fine otherwise. Should i put some greens in there for the fiber for her? any suggestions greatly appreciated.

thanks again :greenyellow:

All the fruit could have done it. Did this occur after eating the fruit?

Also, is Lucy about 4 months old right now? I see at the top of your page, but I don't know if you got her as a baby or adult. Sometimes budgies can have a little diarrhea if their hormones are shifting for the first time and are about to go into their first molt. It's roughly 14-16 weeks old usually.

If she's an adult, sounds like the excess water content of the fruit might be the culprit. Watch her poops and see if it doesn't start to get normal again. If not, a trip to the vet might be a good idea.

You can add organic unfiltered ACV (apple cider vinegar) one teaspoon per pint, to help aid digestion. Probiotics for birds are another good thing to have on hand. They should sell it at an avian vet's office or online. I have HealthZyme made by HEALx-Harrison's Bird Foods. Keep us posted!

Parrot poop does tend to be on the runnier side when a bird is on a diet high in fresh foods (which is HEALTHY). It's just become so "common" to see dry poops from feeding dry foods and runny poops from a bird on a dry food diet is something to be concerned over. However, it sounds like your Lucy is eating more fresh, moist foods. Since parrots "poop and pee" in the same dropping, when you feed wetter foods (or give a good, soaking bath), wetter poops are the result of the extra moisture:)

Last edited:
yes lucy is just about 4 months old and it did happen after she ate her fruit and she is going thru molting. i think you nailed it. i will keep eye on her poop and keep ya updated. thanks

that all makes sense to she did have her warm mist today and she loves to get soaked. right now she is looking out the window chirpping happily at the birds outside eating. its so cute

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back