Safe Essential Oil Brands?

sweetpeamusic

Mar 4, 2018
Washington State
Parrots
Nico - male Turquoise GCC
I'm new here, a bird lover planning to get a Green Cheeked Conure but doing tons of research before getting one so I can give them the best possible life.
I have an electric essential oil diffuser (The kind where you put water and a few drops of oil in and it makes mist), and I enjoy using it in my room. However, I don't know if it's safe for a bird and I'd like some advice!
I've read that some people use essential oils on their bird topically or by letting them ingest it, I'm not planning to do that. I also will not be using tea tree oil, as I've heard it's not good for birds and I don't like the way it smells anyway. I'd like to know if essential oil is safe to use in a diffuser in the same room as a bird (I live in an apartment and I have to keep my bird in my room) and which essential oil brands are safe to use in it. Right now since I don't have a bird I've been buying a cheap brand called NOW essential oils. The label does say 100% pure ____ (e.g. Lavender) oil, Purity Tested/Quality Assured, but I've read on this site that that doesn't necessarily mean it's safe? I've looked through many forums looking for a list of specific brands that are okay to use and couldn't find any.
If essential oils are not safe, I love the scent of lavender and rose and would love to know a safe way to make my room smell like them!

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Hello, and welcome to the Parrot Forums family!

I am certainly not an expert on essential oils... or any oils for that matter. But I can tell you that birds' respiratory systems are EXTREMELY delicate and sensitive. And that conventional wisdom states that for the most part, oils and incense and the like are bad for them. There is actually a reason why coal miners used to keep canaries with them in the mine shafts while working. Because if there was an issue with the air, they would die before the miners themselves even noticed that the air quality had degraded to dangerous levels.

Now, is it possible that there are some methods or types of oil diffusion that might not be dangerous to birds? Sure, I suppose. But I certainly would not take the risk. Respiratory issues take birds down quickly. So if the oil is indeed an issue, by the time you've noticed it would already be too late.

At the very least, you should never have this oil-diffuser mechanism functioning while your bird is in the same room. And probably not for another half hour or hour afterward, either. We used to use an oil-diffuser in my house. And given the size of my house, I could probably use it safely in the dining room since my birds are largely in the family room and living room. But given the rather steep penalty for a wrong guess in that regard, I opted to stop using using it altogether.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I like the "Now!" brand essential oils. I personally use them in oil warmers VS diffusers in rooms my bird is not in.

Be certain with essential oils you buy 100% pure essential oils and NOT "fragrance oil". Essential oils are expensive, starting at about $8 for a small glass bottle and go up from there. Fragrance oils tend to come in slightly larger plastic bottles and are very cheap (starting around $3/bottle).

*NEVER use mint oils around parrots, they irritate their sensitive respiratory tracts.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
First of all this is an extremely controversial subject, so I’ll give you my take on it but it is by no means gospel.

You can test your oils to see if they are pure; put a drop on paper and when it dries there should be no visible spot on the paper.

I use essential oils around my birds. I use dotera and young living. I do not use melaleuca brand because they are labeled “do not ingest” which makes me skeptical.

I’m in a somewhat unique position that, tragically, I’ve had several necropsies done in the last few years on birds that I loved, and all had clear, uncompromised lungs and air sacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Commonly, most use this kind of product to mask other odor problems in a home. If that is the case, find and eliminate the odor! This will allow either a great reduction or no need for the product.

The Amazons who have graced our home have all come with either serious illnesses or injuries. As a result, we have always worked to provide a safe home, and that has included quality air. A quality air exchange system (professionally install) can add greatly to the freshness of the air in your home.

I have always avoided products with such 'over the top' Marketing Statements. The claims made on some of these products are laughable.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
To the comment above about masking odor, this is absolutely correct; if you have an odor problem covering it with essential oils is a bad idea. I personally use his employers to help with certain health issues, and I have great results. Essential oil’s are a crucial part of my health plan. I do not use them to mask orders, and it should be noted that if you are using them to Cover unpleasant odors the older you are covering may actually be more of a danger than the oil you are using to cover it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taprock

Oct 22, 2015
Northern l.p. Michigan
Parrots
Buzz - CAG,
Ziggy - Nanday/Sun Conure,
Jasper - Goffin
Loki - Starling
Gloria - Foster CAG
When purchasing essential oils the bottle should have the common and Latin botanical name of the oil. It should have the country of origin, extraction method and composition terms. EO don’t go “on sale”. Prices are pretty steady. Remember it takes anywhere from 500 to 6000 pounds of oil bearing plant material to produce a pound of EO.

Avian respiration is very different from ours. I have never seen a CAV advise use of EO’s. Oil and feathers do not mix. It would cause damage and end up being ingested. Oral use is a whole other can of worms. I’ll just say oil and mucous membranes and stomach linings don’t mix well. You can cause serious problems if you don’t have some medical knowledge.

OP
S

sweetpeamusic

Mar 4, 2018
Washington State
Parrots
Nico - male Turquoise GCC
I like to have my room smell like lavender or rose, not to mask an odor but because the scent relaxes me. I usually use the essential oil diffuser as a small humidifier, I think that should be fine, right? For those who don't agree with essential oil use, is there a safe way for my room to smell like flowers without killing birds? I've read about boiling orange or cinnamon but I've found no information about anything floral.
I also unfortunately do not have Facebook so I can't view the link on this site that has been recommended: http://bodymindmend.com/parrots-essential-oils/ , if anyone could help me out and tell me what kind of information is on there that would be helpful.

Last edited:

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
a potential better idea may be to get the plant itself and keep it in a pot? I'm trying to find a nice simple to care for plant I like (that's non-toxic) Of course never having tried the green thumb before I am bewildered by plants so am barely able to identify a plant by sight, makes garden centers fun!

Taking a quick google I didn't find any info on lavender one way or the other. Maybe ask your vet if they are aware of Lavender being safe or not?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I like to have my room smell like lavender or rose, not to mask an odor but because the scent relaxes me. I usually use the essential oil diffuser as a small humidifier, I think that should be fine, right? For those who don't agree with essential oil use, is there a safe way for my room to smell like flowers without killing birds? I've read about boiling orange or cinnamon but I've found no information about anything floral.
I also unfortunately do not have Facebook so I can't view the link on this site that has been recommended: Parrots & Essential Oils | Live Oak Acupuncture , if anyone could help me out and tell me what kind of information is on there that would be helpful.

The 2 flower oils should be ok but I still wouldn't use them in the same room as your bird is in if you're using a diffuser. That mist disperses the oil particles far and wide. That's why I use warmers (with coconut oil as a carrier oil) in our bathroom, office and bedroom and avoid using in the living room (where the bird is). It makes the room smell nice but the oils do not get sprayed everywhere. Should be fine to use the pure essential oils from rose and lavender for scenting the rooms your bird doesn't spend the bulk of it's time in. I know this is a controversial issue but I think so long as common sense and some precautions are taken, using carefully selected essential oils in the same home as a parrot can be ok. Of course, every bird owner must decide what is or isn't a risk they're willing to take with their own birds.

I wanted to add, I forgot yesterday but tea tree oil is another one not good for sensitive parrot lungs. Be sure when buying lavender essential oil you do not get the kind mixed with tea tree oil as it is a very common combination and not bird safe!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts