Safe items?

Jun 1, 2022
Media
Previous-Sydney, Australia current-Utah, USA
Parrots
Senegal parrot(male)Percival
Green budgie(male) Buckbeak
Clear wing budgie(female) Rowena
Ok so Iā€™m moving soon and unfortunately the only place for my budgies and Senegal to be is the kitchen! I know your not supposed to house birds in the kitchen but I donā€™t have allot of options, now this is not a full kitchen it wonā€™t have oven or stove; so Iā€™m wondering what I can use thatā€™s safe for my birds I was probably going to use a stainless steel air fryer/toaster oven as stainless steel is usually safe and some kind of stove top that can be placed on the counter top, donā€™t know if there is any way of doing this safely? If not Iā€™ll try figure something else out, any advice??

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I would put the birds in their cages when I am cooking food to prevent their getting injured. I would also always use the exhaust fans or adequate ventilation. Or using a microwave oven more than a toaster oven, for example.

In general, it would probably be better if you can keep your birds in a different spot. Then again, my living room is next to the kitchen and birds are in living room. I always have fans going when I cook and birds are never out or on their cages when I cook.

OP
Percival the great
Jun 1, 2022
Media
Parrots
I would put the birds in their cages when I am cooking food to prevent their getting injured. I would also always use the exhaust fans or adequate ventilation. Or using a microwave oven more than a toaster oven, for example.

In general, it would probably be better if you can keep your birds in a different spot. Then again, my living room is next to the kitchen and birds are in living room. I always have fans going when I cook and birds are never out or on their cages when I cook. maybe Iā€™ll find a way to have them in the other room when I cook

In general, it would probably be better if you can keep your birds in a different spot. Then again, my living room is next to the kitchen and birds are in living room. I always have fans going when I cook and birds are never out or on their cages when I cook.
Maybe Iā€™ll look into finding a way to have them in the other room when I cook, donā€™t you wish there was an ultimate parrot hand book with every thing thatā€™s bad for them!
Thanks this helps! i wont have a microwave just a air fryer/toaster oven and counter top stove, but Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll figure something out, again thank you for the advicešŸ‘

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Maybe Iā€™ll look into finding a way to have them in the other room when I cook, donā€™t you wish there was an ultimate parrot hand book with every thing thatā€™s bad for them!
Thanks this helps! i wont have a microwave just a air fryer/toaster oven and counter top stove, but Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll figure something out, again thank you for the advicešŸ‘
I think a microwave would be the safest, actually. No fumes unless you did something really wrong.

OP
Percival the great
Jun 1, 2022
Media
Parrots
I think a microwave would be the safest, actually. No fumes unless you did something really wrong.
Yeah I wish I could use one unfortunately I donā€™t really eat anything that requires a microwave, I make most of my food from scratch, downfall of trying to be healthy:(

KissyBeak

Feb 5, 2022
Parrots
White budgie (lotus)
Denim cobalt linnie (neelu)
Ok so Iā€™m moving soon and unfortunately the only place for my budgies and Senegal to be is the kitchen! I know your not supposed to house birds in the kitchen but I donā€™t have allot of options, now this is not a full kitchen it wonā€™t have oven or stove; so Iā€™m wondering what I can use thatā€™s safe for my birds I was probably going to use a stainless steel air fryer/toaster oven as stainless steel is usually safe and some kind of stove top that can be placed on the counter top, donā€™t know if there is any way of doing this safely? If not Iā€™ll try figure something else out, any advice??
Hey there, definitely get an Instapot! They are bird safe and Iā€™ve used them for years. I have the large Pro. You can cook and sautĆ© in it, and bc itā€™s so tall and there is no fire or hot stove, itā€™s pretty safe if somehow a bird does get out or slip through the cracks, or itā€™s sitting on someoneā€™s shoulder and they walk into the room etcā€¦
I donā€™t cook with my birds in the room either, but if someone walked in with them I wouldnā€™t have to freak out and go into bird emergency mode šŸ¤­ I could just pop the lid on real quick and danger is avoided.
Or even just stand over it very protectively until the birds have left the room.
as a bird owner we have so many sources of anxiety and worry so anything that reduces it helps us to live a calm happy lifestyle. Instant pot is one of those things and I do all my cooking in it now!
itā€™s tall and only the bottom of the inside gets really hot, the outside doesnā€™t get hot. So compared to a stove top or oven, itā€™s safer for a bird and humans too!
I even make lasagna , casseroles, Indian dishes, honestly you can make anything in it! Soups, stews, eggs, multiple items, rice, steamed veggies, anything you can think of.

Last edited:
OP
Percival the great
Jun 1, 2022
Media
Parrots
Hey there, definitely get an Instapot! They are bird safe and Iā€™ve used them for years. I have the large Pro. You can cook and sautĆ© in it, and bc itā€™s so tall and there is no fire or hot stove, itā€™s pretty safe if somehow a bird does get out or slip through the cracks, or itā€™s sitting on someoneā€™s shoulder and they walk into the room etcā€¦
I donā€™t cook with my birds in the room either, but if someone walked in with them I wouldnā€™t have to freak out and go into bird emergency mode šŸ¤­ I could just pop the lid on real quick and danger is avoided.
Or even just stand over it very protectively until the birds have left the room.
as a bird owner we have so many sources of anxiety and worry so anything that reduces it helps us to live a calm happy lifestyle. Instant pot is one of those things and I do all my cooking in it now!
itā€™s tall and only the bottom of the inside gets really hot, the outside doesnā€™t get hot. So compared to a stove top or oven, itā€™s safer for a bird and humans too!
I even make lasagna , casseroles, Indian dishes, honestly you can make anything in it! Soups, stews, eggs, multiple items, rice, steamed veggies, anything you can think of.
Thank you this is very helpful!

Most Reactions

Latest posts