The Netherlands
Parrots
Otto - Senegal Parrot born in 2006
Weekamp - Senegal Parrot born in 2007
Joris - Congo African Grey born in 2008
Suzy - Blue fronted Amazon born in 2009 or in 2006
Kwiebuz - Caique born in 2013
Thank you for all the reactions!
She loves to play with an empty roll of toiletpaper. But when I put that in top of her case, the smart bird as she is :22: just plays from the inside of here cage with it...
She doesn't really have a treat she is willing to do something for. Mostly (like almost all the time) when I give her something that she likes very much when she is in the cage, she won't eat it when she is out of her cage. She takes it from me and then just drops it.

But maybe, the advice of putting something on her door will work. I will try that with the roll. If she wants to play with it then, she has to come out of her cage.

autum_howard

Jun 25, 2013
Coldspring, TX
Parrots
Double Yellow Headed Amazon
When i first got Sweet Pea i had issues with her stepping up for me from inside her cage, i would try and if she refused i would leave the door open and completely ignore her...she would come out eventually. I'm not sure where in your house you keep Suzie, but i would grab a book and hang out for a while every day...eventually she will come to you

OP
A

Anne

Mar 1, 2014
The Netherlands
Parrots
Otto - Senegal Parrot born in 2006
Weekamp - Senegal Parrot born in 2007
Joris - Congo African Grey born in 2008
Suzy - Blue fronted Amazon born in 2009 or in 2006
Kwiebuz - Caique born in 2013
Some birds become "cage bound" where they don't want to come out of their cage (or at least, don't realize how much fun they can have outside their cage). She might be suffering a mild form of this behavioral problem. If I were you, I would try placing a fun toy or perhaps a dish with some fruit in it on top of her cage (make sure she sees you putting it there) and open the door. It may take a few times of doing this before she comes out voluntarily, but when she does, praise her. Take baby steps with her so she becomes comfortable with being out of her cage and learns that it is fun and interesting to come out and explore. Eventually, she will want to be all over and with you all the time :) Here is a comprehensive article about dealing with cage bound birds that may help-

The Cage-bound Bird

So I really read the text about cage bound partita very well. I recognise a lot. And because he was in an outside cage for about the first 4 heats of her life without much human attention before she came here, it might be her problem.

Most Reactions