Scented Sachets Safe?

parrotdaddy

Mar 17, 2013
Hi everyone! I have been looking for bird safe ways to freshen the house. I have learned that sprays and plug ins are dangerous because of the vapors/oils emitted. Are those scented sachets that passively emit fragrance safe for birds? Thank you!

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
Good question. I probably wouldn't use one around my birds, but I have put them in my linen closet. I'd be comfortable using a sachet made of only flowers (without the bits that add extra fragrance) but those are a very subtle scent so probably not what you're looking for.

It's winter now where I live and I like doing "simmer pots" - I put water and orange peel with a couple cloves on the stove until it just boils and then let it sit. Or orange and rosemary. When my son was younger we'd make one for his bedroom at night.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Simmer pots are super clever. I think you can also put out dried orange peel & cinnamon. Just make sure itā€™s where birds canā€™t get to it. If you just want to get rid of smells, Iā€™ve heard dishes of baking soda in unobtrusive places can help?

If youā€™ve got carpet or similar you can lightly sprinkle baking soda over it and let it sit before vaccuming it up - fabrics will absorb odors over time and baking soda can get the smells out. Washing all the linens (including curtains) is another good way to get rid of any weird smells. We have kids and dogs so we use sofa covers and when I start to notice that the smell of dog is pervasive, I wash those too, haha.

I donā€™t use air fresheners personally anymore - Iā€™ve gone without them for so long that frankly when I step into a store or something that has them I get nauseous. Craft stores during holiday season are hellish, lol!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Simmer pots are super clever. I think you can also put out dried orange peel & cinnamon. Just make sure itā€™s where birds canā€™t get to it. If you just want to get rid of smells, Iā€™ve heard dishes of baking soda in unobtrusive places can help?

If youā€™ve got carpet or similar you can lightly sprinkle baking soda over it and let it sit before vaccuming it up - fabrics will absorb odors over time and baking soda can get the smells out. Washing all the linens (including curtains) is another good way to get rid of any weird smells. We have kids and dogs so we use sofa covers and when I start to notice that the smell of dog is pervasive, I wash those too, haha.

I donā€™t use air fresheners personally anymore - Iā€™ve gone without them for so long that frankly when I step into a store or something that has them I get nauseous. Craft stores during holiday season are hellish, lol!
Oh man I so agree. I have always had a sensitive sniffer. As a child going to church and being assaulted by all the strong perfumes.
Personaly I think wearing lots of strong perfume is as discourteous as smoking in public (but generally less harmful to your health).
That was the only benefit I found during the mask mandates, an N95 mask worn correctly can block a lot of stink.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I have some flower sachets in drawers, like rose buds and lavender. I think thatā€™s ok. I try to avoid perfume oils and artificial stuff like febreeze.

OP
P

parrotdaddy

Mar 17, 2013
Thank you so much everyone! I would like to try the simmer method. I have read orange peels and cinnamon are okay. Any herbs or the like that should be avoided? Would lavender specifically be safe too? Thanks again!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Thank you so much everyone! I would like to try the simmer method. I have read orange peels and cinnamon are okay. Any herbs or the like that should be avoided? Would lavender specifically be safe too? Thanks again!
I have used lavender sachets in drawers to avoid any musty smell. But the sachet is shut in the drawer, so the flower scent is sort of contained.

Most Reactions

Latest posts