Second Bird

lisa06810

Apr 8, 2021
Ocklawaha, FL
Parrots
Kiko- Yellow Sided Green Cheeked Conure (will be home with us the beginning of May. Baby is still being hand fed)
A bit of a backstory. I used to have a Lovebird (RIP Jax) and after many years and recently being told I would be working from home, I felt comfortable getting another bird once again since I would be able to spend quality time with him. I thought long and hard about it and I decided to get another bird. Not much of a backstory, but I knew what I was getting into.

Now I have Kiko, a Green Cheek Conure. Now I am being told I need to go back to working in the office. I would not have gotten a bird if I knew I was not going to be working from home. I asked my manager, before I got a bird if I would be going back, and was told I would continue to work from home. Now I find out I will need to be going back to working in the office.

Now I am thinking of getting another bird to keep Kiko company since I will not be home for the most part of the day. If I get another should it be a male or female?

I am thinking of getting a Quaker to keep Kiko company. I will still have time to spend with them, but not nearly as much hours as I would have liked. Is this a good idea. Would my bird need another bird to be around during the day, and are a Green Cheek Conure and a Quaker able to become buddies? Kiko is a male, according to his DNA test, and if I get another bird, should it be a male of female? I am so pissed that I am in this situation. I would not have gotten Kiko if I was told I would have to go back to work and would not be working from home, but this is my reality now. I'm so torn.....

Last edited:

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
If you do get a second bird, I would not get a quaker. They tend to be more on the aggressive and territorial side and wouldnt be terribly likely to bond with your current bird. However, no matter what bird you get there is no 100% guarantee that they will be friendly with your current bird. So you have a high likelihood of running into the issue of now have 2 birds at home that need your socialization.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
If you do get a second bird, I would not get a quaker. They tend to be more on the aggressive and territorial side and wouldnt be terribly likely to bond with your current bird. However, no matter what bird you get there is no 100% guarantee that they will be friendly with your current bird. So you have a high likelihood of running into the issue of now have 2 birds at home that need your socialization.

1000000% great advice here. Never get a 2nd bird as a friend or company to a first bird. You donā€™t know if theyā€™ll get along. You get a second bird because you you would positively DIE if you didnā€™t get it! Think about it: If you think you donā€™t have enough time for the first one, what business do you have getting a second one?

Now hereā€™s the good news: you have nothing to worry about! Most of us work regular jobs while owning a single bird. Kio will be fine during the day, so long as she has food, water, and cage toys. She might benefit from leaving a radio or a television on. But she will be fine so long as she gets out at night when you get home.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
if you don't have time for 1, do NOT get 2... they may fight and need separate out-of-cage time at 3 hours a pop (6 hours total), or get TOO involved and then also need separate out of cage time (again, 3 hours each=6 hours)...Never get a bird for your bird...it can impact your current bond, create new health risks and sexual behaviors, aggression etc--- sure, it can work, but it doesn't sound like you can afford to take that gamble when you feel you don't have time for 1.
Remember that babies and even teens often undergo extreme personality shifts at sexual maturity as well (which further complicates things)

Just an FYI-(hoping you don't do this) but if you do, all new birds need to be quarantined for a BARE minimum of 45 days on the opposite end of the house (due to the increased risk of stressed birds (pre-sympromatic or asymptomatic ) spreading deadly illness, despite their outwardly healthy appearance. Quarantine does not remove risk, but it can reduce it some for both birds.

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
1,000,000% excellent advice, I hope you take it. Amazing how often this question comes up, and even more how few heed it. If you do decide to get a second parrot, I would absolutely wait a few years, until you know your sun conure so well you can almost predict how he will react, ie gone thru puberty and has established his adult demeanor.

Most Reactions

Latest posts