Second Day new owner :)

Franky2022

Apr 10, 2022
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
Quaker
Hello Friends, I love all animals and now that I am retired I have some time to spend with a 1 year old today Quaker named "Franky" . this is the second day he has not eaten and still in the same spot of the cage. I have spent sometime taking to him explaining this is a new atmosphere and I will be caring for him the rest of his life.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Franky

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hi, do you have any really yummy or favorite food to leave for him? I would give him some personal space and let him have plenty of yummy food. Maybe cover part of his cage with a towel or sheet so he can hide since he’s scared. It sounds like he’s very anxious because he’s in a new place. Is it possible that he’s eaten some food when you weren’t looking? Are there cats or dogs, loud music or TV, active children, a view of a busy street that might be scaring franky? Those are things that would scare my birds.

I am just checking: my Quakers have all been very anxious about predators and things that resemble predators. Like ceiling fans, balloons, and tall pedestal lamps are scary to them (hawk response). Extension cords or anything snakey get alarm calls. The Vacuum cleaner and Dustbuster are also cause for them to stare and alarm. One Quaker would scream when she saw the neighbor’s cats in a window. So I am wondering if there’s something else franky is afraid of? Just because mine have been kind of neurotic.

You have only had Franky for a short time and he’s an extremely smart bird. He needs to learn that he’s safe and you’re his friend. It will take more time. But your main thing right now is to make sure he eats something. Try some different foods; even eat in front of him and talk about how delicious your food is. Then if he gets excited, share some! It doesn’t have to be the perfect bird food. Do you know what he likes to eat? Do you know his favorite foods? Anything about his old home you could supply to put him at ease?

Tempting Quaker treat foods:
Birdseed, sunflower or safflower seed, millet spray, commercial bird treats
Cookies or crackers, cheerios, granola
Fruit or vegetables in smaller pieces that a small beak can deal with
Little bits of cheese (or even pizza)
Hard boiled or scrambled egg
Oatmeal or cream of wheat or porridge

If he looks interested in something you’re eating that isn’t specifically bird food but not dangerous to birds, share it!

I hope this helps. You’re doing the right thing by talking to him and telling him that he’s safe. Just keep being calm and kind and provide yummy foods for him. Please let us know how he’s doing or if you have other questions.

Quakers are great little birds!!

Henderbird

Apr 7, 2022
Canada
Parrots
Munchkin the Sun Conure!
Hello Friends, I love all animals and now that I am retired I have some time to spend with a 1 year old today Quaker named "Franky" . this is the second day he has not eaten and still in the same spot of the cage. I have spent sometime taking to him explaining this is a new atmosphere and I will be caring for him the rest of his life.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Franky
Hello and welcome!!!
I'm new here too actually so you and me both!
Since you've recently acquired your quaker it's important to note that you must go at the birds pace!
Of course you know that 2 days is not enough time for a new bird to acclimate to such a drastic change that is their arrival into a completely new environment. So make sure to take things slow.
One suggestion is to simply leave your bird to acclimate and adjust, let him take things in. This is all new to him and them as prey animals have the urge to flee from these stressful scenarios. So be sure to make the experience as stress free as possible by letting him be and acclimate to the surroundings.
Next, you can try to lure him with treats as you get to know him and slowly let him out of the cage. Let him explore while still maintaining your distance.
Lastly, it's really great to build a nice strong bond with a new bird and makes the experience of owning these creatures such a beautiful and unique experience, one that means a lot between the bird and owner.
So get out those treats eventually and may you build a happy and everlasting relationship with your new feathered buddy! :)

OP
Franky2022

Franky2022

Apr 10, 2022
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
Quaker
Hi, do you have any really yummy or favorite food to leave for him? I would give him some personal space and let him have plenty of yummy food. Maybe cover part of his cage with a towel or sheet so he can hide since he’s scared. It sounds like he’s very anxious because he’s in a new place. Is it possible that he’s eaten some food when you weren’t looking? Are there cats or dogs, loud music or TV, active children, a view of a busy street that might be scaring franky? Those are things that would scare my birds.

I am just checking: my Quakers have all been very anxious about predators and things that resemble predators. Like ceiling fans, balloons, and tall pedestal lamps are scary to them (hawk response). Extension cords or anything snakey get alarm calls. The Vacuum cleaner and Dustbuster are also cause for them to stare and alarm. One Quaker would scream when she saw the neighbor’s cats in a window. So I am wondering if there’s something else franky is afraid of? Just because mine have been kind of neurotic.

You have only had Franky for a short time and he’s an extremely smart bird. He needs to learn that he’s safe and you’re his friend. It will take more time. But your main thing right now is to make sure he eats something. Try some different foods; even eat in front of him and talk about how delicious your food is. Then if he gets excited, share some! It doesn’t have to be the perfect bird food. Do you know what he likes to eat? Do you know his favorite foods? Anything about his old home you could supply to put him at ease?

If he looks interested in something you’re eating that isn’t specifically bird food but not dangerous to birds, share it!

I hope this helps. You’re doing the right thing by talking to him and telling him that he’s safe. Just keep being calm and kind and provide yummy foods for him. Please let us know how he’s doing or if you have other questions.

Today he was talking away so much that seagulls were flying around my apartment. My choice for building a relationship is to let Franky come to me. I tried giving him treats but they are still there and still hasn't eaten anything to my knowledge. I will wait til tomorrow then try some new food for him.

Thanks!

OP
Franky2022

Franky2022

Apr 10, 2022
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
Quaker

Today he was talking away so much that seagulls were flying around my apartment. My choice for building a relationship is to let Franky come to me. I tried giving him treats but they are still there and still hasn't eaten anything to my knowledge. I will wait til tomorrow then try some new food for him.

Thanks!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
👋 hello!
Welcome to you and Frankie!
Congratulations on your new friend.

Have you had parrots before? They are intelligent and emotional, and it can be stressful on them with a move to a new home and new people.

Cage placement and set up can help some. Putting the cage with the back against the wall. Then always announcing yourself and approach only from the front..tgey like routine snd rituals. By a window is great, but msybe move part to the side. They are prey species and view seagulls and such as predators and you may be getting alarm calls and increased stress from that. When more settled may enjoy the view more.

Sharing pictures of your set up and we can offer tips, sometimes it seems more like judgment lol, but really we are trying to be helpful.

A tempting treat is a millet spray. You can try weaving one in cage bars near where he sits.

When possible offer the foods they had been fed, but yiu can use different bowls to offer stuff you want them to be eating.

If you click this is takes you to my page I have information on behavior and reading your bird. The second article linked is really great, and cover things like night fears ( some burds experience), reasons for bites and more.
Post in thread 'Ornithology: Share and discuss scientific articles on parrots!' https://www.parrotforums.com/thread...entific-articles-on-parrots.82369/post-987448

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
This one is good as well, not just for stressed parrots but just understanding bird mentality.

OP
Franky2022

Franky2022

Apr 10, 2022
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
Quaker
This is the setup for Franky. I have a nice size 1350 square foot apartment for he and I do not have any other pets so I feel bonding will be fun and exciting. He is clipped at the moment but I still let him out to fly and feel like it is his home as well. He is now eating and talking away. I have an appointment for him this month for a physical.
Franky

Attachments

• IMG_1581.jpeg
    IMG_1581.jpeg
    238.9 KB · Views: 82

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
This is the setup for Franky. I have a nice size 1350 square foot apartment for he and I do not have any other pets so I feel bonding will be fun and exciting. He is clipped at the moment but I still let him out to fly and feel like it is his home as well. He is now eating and talking away. I have an appointment for him this month for a physical.
Franky

I'm so excited for both of you!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Love hearing has settled in enough to start eating and vocal! Love seeing toys 😍

My heart belongs to 3 rowdy quaker ladies, 1 feisty green cheek lady and 2 sweet budgies boys. You will definitely enjoy sharing your life with one! And sharing your journey with all of us!

What made you get into parrots and choose a quaker? ❤

Here are some ideas for his "furniture " you might enjoy

Henderbird

Apr 7, 2022
Canada
Parrots
Munchkin the Sun Conure!
Franky is very lucky to have such a spacious home and cage!!
I love seeing peoples setups and cages as inspiration for my own one day!
I love seeing different things and ways people vary their birds home base!
Seems like a great cage to me and Franky will fit right into the family I see.

OP
Franky2022

Franky2022

Apr 10, 2022
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
Quaker
As of today, Franky is starting to open up to his new home. He talks so loud he attracts seagulls outside of the apartment. He is eating but he is picky when it comes too treats. I tried apples and bags of treats from the pet store. I guess patience will tell.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Pizza works with Quakers. And cheese. Hard cheese is lactose free and irresistible.

Just wait. Soon you will be able to eat NOTHING without Frankie demanding his tithe.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Both my parrots like popcorn a lot. It should be plain popcorn-- no butter, salt or oil. Some parrots like pumpkin seeds for a treat, though my two aren't among them. Some parrots like Cheerios cereal for a treat too. QP Ralph enjoys a tiny piece of extra-sharp cheddar cheese occasionally; that's a very special rare treat.

Most Reactions

Latest posts