Seeds?

Archie&Me

Nov 26, 2021
Perth
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hi Guys,

I need a little help, I recently bought a cockatiel and I think I did a little too much research about what was bad for cockatiels and what is good. I'm spending a ton of money on seed because I don't want to buy the stuff from Coles because I'm worried it will make him sick or something. I tried veggies but I think he is still too young cause all he does is move it around with his beak.
Long Story short can anyone recommend seed that doesn't cost a fortune or is the Coles stuff ok?

Koko_the_fluf

Oct 16, 2021
Media
Seoul, South Korea
Parrots
Koko (green cheeked cinnamon conure gotcha date 5.18 2020)
First, you shouldn't really use seeds as treats for foraging or a treat and you should buy pellets or at least try switching to pellets because seeds aren't really a healthy diet for birds (If you are thinking about buying pellets then you should buy one with no colors because that can change you bird's poop color)

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
I use organic sprouting seeds tops pellets, Higgins seed mixes (because that's what one will eat), Senior nutriberries, cooked sprouted organic lentils and quinoa, and finally variety of fruit and veggies and occasionally a little cheese. I also offer pollen and crushed egg shell and vitamin mixes
I highly recommend looking into the benefits of sprouted seeds.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Welcome to the Forums to you and Archie! I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of your little guy soon :)

Seeds are ok in the early stages of new birdie adoption, as he is going through some fairly big changes in his circumstances so food will be the one thing that should remain familiar to him for a while at least. Ultimately though you will want to switch him to a better diet as seeds are very highly energy dense and can cause health issues such as fatty liver disease further down the track, as captive birds simply do not burn as many calories as their wild cousins do. You can gradually introduce pellets but should not try to switch from one to the other too rapidly as he may not even recognise them as food any may end up going hungry.

A very wise man (and it may have been our Super Mod Scott!) once said that the best pellet is the one that your bird will actually eat! So you may end up going through a few brands before settling on one that your bird will like. My tried and true method of conversion (used successfully on a VERY stubborn mature aged cockatiel who had refused all previous attempts at a better diet) was to crush up the pellets into a fine powder using a mortar and pestle, and sprinkle it all over her seeds. That way it meant that she could not simply sift through the pellets in order to get at the seeds underneath, and it also got her accustomed to their different taste and smell. Over the course of a week or so I crushed the pellets less and less finely and before long I could completely replace her seeds with pellets and it was just like she had been eating them all her life! :)

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Welcome!
Remember, a good seed is much better than an average pellet! Would you feed your little one mostly soy and corn? -the average pellet-
Look into TOPS brand, great quality everything!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Diet is one of those Hot Button discussions that sadly, one must take care as it is much like a mine field as near everyone has their favorite item or blended diet. The biggest concern for companion Parrots is a diet too rich in specific item.

First, it is very important to state that some specific Parrots must have very specific diets to avoid health problems. In this discussion Tiels are not one of those Parrots.

What is the best diet for your Parrot, IMHO, is a blended diet that starts with a base of Veggies with some Fruit. With a dry food section that is a mixture of 'high' quality seeds with a quality of Pellet as to assure balance .

Short buying, Wild Bird Seed, (Never do that) the most dangerous word in Parrot diets is 'Fortified'. A good solid natural base diet will provide all the nutriment your Parrot will need. Buying Fortified foods can result in a diet to rich and can turn great food into a problem.

Choosing a Diet starts with a full spectrum blood test to determine when the Parrots is today. The Blood Chemistry will define whether the diet is working, weak in some areas or over-done in other areas. Never add chemicals to your Parrot's diet until you have determine if there is a need.

Pellets: Sadly, There is no perfect Pellet for all Parrots as you will come to see when you start read just what is part of the Pellet that you are using. IMHO, Serious No-No's regarding Pellets:
- No Sugar
- Very limited Salt
- No Color additives.

We use Pellets! But it is not the the vast majority of what we provided. NOTE: Serious Hot Button Item! Pellets are considered 'Dead Food' as part of the process its must be heated to a specific high temperature to kill any bacteria that would spoil the finished product. It is important to understand that the product must have a shelf life of over two-years from date of process. Near all Pellets are therefore Fortified to assure that the Parrot derives benefit from consuming it.

I realize that I did not fully answer your question. So, Target High Quality, products. Read the ingredients!! And, take the time to find and read what is available to them in their Natural Range! As a result you will begin to see what your Parrot has evolved to have as Part of Their Diet!

Cheers!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the Forums to you and Archie! I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of your little guy soon :)

Seeds are ok in the early stages of new birdie adoption, as he is going through some fairly big changes in his circumstances so food will be the one thing that should remain familiar to him for a while at least. Ultimately though you will want to switch him to a better diet as seeds are very highly energy dense and can cause health issues such as fatty liver disease further down the track, as captive birds simply do not burn as many calories as their wild cousins do. You can gradually introduce pellets but should not try to switch from one to the other too rapidly as he may not even recognise them as food any may end up going hungry.

A very wise man (and it may have been our Super Mod Scott!) once said that the best pellet is the one that your bird will actually eat! So you may end up going through a few brands before settling on one that your bird will like. My tried and true method of conversion (used successfully on a VERY stubborn mature aged cockatiel who had refused all previous attempts at a better diet) was to crush up the pellets into a fine powder using a mortar and pestle, and sprinkle it all over her seeds. That way it meant that she could not simply sift through the pellets in order to get at the seeds underneath, and it also got her accustomed to their different taste and smell. Over the course of a week or so I crushed the pellets less and less finely and before long I could completely replace her seeds with pellets and it was just like she had been eating them all her life! :)
Thanks so much for joining! No shortage of dietary opinion and advice, perhaps best compromise for Archie is diverse diet of fresh veggies/fruits, pellets, and occasional quality seed mix. Introducing a healthy mix best while young and impressionable.

I've probably parroted the notion of "best pellet is the one your bird will actually eat" as spoken by unknown genius!! Transition to pellet a game of trial and error, so best to buy small quantities. Regardless of age, introducing veggies and fruits will tempt Archie's beak and eventually lead to sampling. My technique is filling two bowls with an assortment, offer one to Archie and begin eating from yours. Make "mmmm" noises, bob your head in delight. Birds are flock eaters and you are one of the flock!

OP
A

Archie&Me

Nov 26, 2021
Perth
Parrots
Cockatiel

A very wise man (and it may have been our Super Mod Scott!) once said that the best pellet is the one that your bird will actually eat! So you may end up going through a few brands before settling on one that your bird will like. My tried and true method of conversion (used successfully on a VERY stubborn mature aged cockatiel who had refused all previous attempts at a better diet) was to crush up the pellets into a fine powder using a mortar and pestle, and sprinkle it all over her seeds. That way it meant that she could not simply sift through the pellets in order to get at the seeds underneath, and it also got her accustomed to their different taste and smell. Over the course of a week or so I crushed the pellets less and less finely and before long I could completely replace her seeds with pellets and it was just like she had been eating them all life! :)
Your information has been actually so helpful, but I do have a few questions, if I could pick your brain on a few things that would be amazing!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Your information has been actually so helpful, but I do have a few questions, if I could pick your brain on a few things that would be amazing!
What little brain i have left is yours for the picking!

OP
A

Archie&Me

Nov 26, 2021
Perth
Parrots
Cockatiel
I made a chop for Archie it was white rice, cauliflower, capsicum, broccoli, mint and some other things, So until I can get pellets on the weekend is that okay or would i add pellets to that mix?

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
It all sounds great with the exception of the white rice. White rice should not be fed, neither should white bread, potato or white pasta as they are very high in carbs. Veg like corn and peas are also pretty highly energy dense but can be fed, just in smaller amounts. You would want to lean more towards low energy veg like broccoli, broccolini, rocket, bok choy, capsicum, brussels sprouts, cucumber, cabbage and your cauliflower too, that's all fine. I don't ever give my cockatiel Fang any fruit as again it's high in fructose which he does not need, but he does occasionally go and steal some from my lorikeet's bowl :) Medium energy dense veg like sweet potato, pumpkin, carrot and squash are ok too, but again in smaller proportion to the low energy dense veg listed above.

To be perfectly honest with you I am not a big chop feeder. I tend to mostly give my guys a big bunch of whatever leafy greens are looking freshest at the supermarket at the time and let them go to town on that, they seem to get a lot of fun out of shredding it as much as eating it, although I'm pretty sure they are actually ingesting quite a bit of it too :) So in terms of chop I would have to defer very much to our other members' insights. Personally though I'd probably keep the chop separate from seeds or pellets as I would think the chop might make the pellets go a bit soggy.

There are plenty of chop and birdie bread recipes in the thread below too :)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Absolutely, leave questions below or PM as desired! :)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

What little brain i have left is yours for the picking!
To paraphrase my 7th grade biology teacher, your brain so large and effective, must be moved by wheelbarrow!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
To paraphrase my 7th grade biology teacher, your brain so large and effective, must be moved by wheelbarrow!
Scott, to paraphrase the late great Douglas Adams, you possess a brain whose merest operational parameters I am not worthy to calculate!!

Most Reactions