Severe Separation Anxiety- Please help

crystalite

Dec 22, 2023
Parrots
Baby Turquoise Green Cheeked Conure
Dear Fellow Bird Parents,

I'm really worried about my buddy Patty. He's been acting so sad since school started back up. Patty is my baby turquoise cheek conure. Usually he's chirping and playing, keeping me company in my room. He flies over to me with or without command and loves to cuddle! When I take a few steps away to change in the morning for school, he keeps on flying to me. Now that I'm gone most of the day, it's like all life has gone out of him.

My mom says when I'm at school, Patty just sits on his favorite perch and doesn't move for hours. He won't eat or drink, and makes loud whimpering noises. And the saddest part is when I come home - he always screeches loudly for 5 minutes straight, bouncing on the side of his cage. It's like he's been waiting there everyday, just hoping I'll walk through. I feel so guilty leaving him alone for so long. Whenever I'm not in his room he starts making whimpering noises, and when I take just a few steps away to change in the morning, he always flies over to me.

I've tried leaving more toys in his cage so he has stuff to do. But it's not the same - he'll only play when I'm right there with him. Otherwise he just ignores everything. I'm scared that if this keeps up, he'll start pulling out his own feathers. That's what birds do when they're depressed.

Bird friends - please tell me what to do! I hate seeing my little buddy so down. He's always been such a happy little guy before. How can I cheer up Patty until I'm home from school each day? Any advice would help - I just want my feathery friend feeling like his old self again.

Let me know if sharing Patty's story helps at all. I hope he starts feeling better soon.

Your fellow bird parent,

Michelle

Jul 23, 2023
Parrots
7 month old sun conure

I'm really worried about my buddy Patty. He's been acting so sad since school started back up. Patty is my baby turquoise cheek conure. Usually he's chirping and playing, keeping me company in my room. He flies over to me with or without command and loves to cuddle! When I take a few steps away to change in the morning for school, he keeps on flying to me. Now that I'm gone most of the day, it's like all life has gone out of him.

My mom says when I'm at school, Patty just sits on his favorite perch and doesn't move for hours. He won't eat or drink, and makes loud whimpering noises. And the saddest part is when I come home - he always screeches loudly for 5 minutes straight, bouncing on the side of his cage. It's like he's been waiting there everyday, just hoping I'll walk through. I feel so guilty leaving him alone for so long. Whenever I'm not in his room he starts making whimpering noises, and when I take just a few steps away to change in the morning, he always flies over to me.

I've tried leaving more toys in his cage so he has stuff to do. But it's not the same - he'll only play when I'm right there with him. Otherwise he just ignores everything. I'm scared that if this keeps up, he'll start pulling out his own feathers. That's what birds do when they're depressed.

Bird friends - please tell me what to do! I hate seeing my little buddy so down. He's always been such a happy little guy before. How can I cheer up Patty until I'm home from school each day? Any advice would help - I just want my feathery friend feeling like his old self again.

Let me know if sharing Patty's story helps at all. I hope he starts feeling better soon.

Your fellow bird parent,

Michelle
Usually when I go to work I leave the radio on or the tv on so my conure hears something throughout the day. I also make a foraging tray with treats hidden at the bottom. That usually keep my conure busy for a while. I also rotate his toys every week. Before you go make sure you let Patty know you will be back. I usually show my conure on my fingers how many hours I'll be gone. When you get back from school greet Patty and let her know you are back by giving her lots of love! Hope this helps :)

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels

Your fellow bird parent,

Michelle
Oh Michelle that's so sad to hear. You love Patty and he obviously loves you. There are some good suggestions above. My cockatiel is always screaming for my attention when I get back from work as well. I got another parrot to keep him company while I'm at work. They get along well but I should warn you that this can sometimes backfire and make the dynamics even worse. In my case but my tiel still loves me and the newbie is settling in really well being nice to us both.
Hi hope you can help Patty's anxiety

Most Reactions

Latest posts