Should have got a bigger one!

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Syd came with me to put clean washing away in my bedroom. I was folding and placing in the drawer as I went and suddenly I could hear Syd but not see him. The noises were coming from the back of the drawer and Syd the escapologist was showing me his latest trick!

Now here was a quandary - do I close the drawer unsure of how much space was behind risking squashing him to enable me to open the next one and hopefully find him? Would he just return as quickly as he disappeared if I left him. The scrabbling noises I could hear with occasional chirrups left me unsure, so I sat a while in the hope of a reappearance all the while calling him in a way that usually resulted in him peering at me from where ever he was.

Needless to say the open drawer was the top on of a bank of 5. Yes you guessed it. I decided the only way was to remove the top drawer - and the 2nd, and the third all the way down to the last and there he was ready to fly into the air with a shriek of what I can only describe as triumph. He was completely unfazed. I on the other hand spent a trying time emptying the suddenly heavy drawers to enable me to relocate them in position watched calmly by said Syd sitting on the top head cocked with interest.

I should have bought a bigger parrot that wouldn't fit into small spaces. In the meantime no more laundry jobs for Syd! The little Houdini! :rolleyes: o_O

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
You are correct that a larger Parrot would have more difficulty getting into such small places, but you will be equally amused by what they can get into.

Clearly, your action was the correct one, but know that until they find a new game, this will be repeated as part of other furniture.

Enjoy!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Syd came with me to put clean washing away in my bedroom. I was folding and placing in the drawer as I went and suddenly I could hear Syd but not see him. The noises were coming from the back of the drawer and Syd the escapologist was showing me his latest trick!

Now here was a quandary - do I close the drawer unsure of how much space was behind risking squashing him to enable me to open the next one and hopefully find him? Would he just return as quickly as he disappeared if I left him. The scrabbling noises I could hear with occasional chirrups left me unsure, so I sat a while in the hope of a reappearance all the while calling him in a way that usually resulted in him peering at me from where ever he was.

Needless to say the open drawer was the top on of a bank of 5. Yes you guessed it. I decided the only way was to remove the top drawer - and the 2nd, and the third all the way down to the last and there he was ready to fly into the air with a shriek of what I can only describe as triumph. He was completely unfazed. I on the other hand spent a trying time emptying the suddenly heavy drawers to enable me to relocate them in position watched calmly by said Syd sitting on the top head cocked with interest.

I should have bought a bigger parrot that wouldn't fit into small spaces. In the meantime no more laundry jobs for Syd! The little Houdini! :rolleyes: o_O
This sort of thing was always my worst nightmare when I had my tiny little Lilly, particularly when she was EXTREMELY broody and would burrow into anything in the blink of an eye. Worse still, that she'd slip down and get herself stuck behind some of those Swedish flat-pack wall units or the fridge and I would never see her again, or squash her in the attempt to get her out. It's not much better now with the new lorikeet, Lovejoy. He's much the same size, every bit as lightning fast and curious as Lilly was but, *fingers crossed* :rolleyes:, won't get as maniacally broody as my little hen did. Nevertheless every part of the house is off limits to him except the lounge room and their own bird room because of my extreme paranoia that he'll get himself wedged into a crevice somewhere never to be seen again. :eek:

I often ask my husband why I have birds, and he replies, without a hint of irony, "because they relax you." Sigh .....

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
Haha, they really love getting into small spaces! My conure, Tequila, loves hiding in drawers and she gets son angry and puffed up when I find her and tell her to come out. I even caught her and her best friend (Malibu the cockatiel) hiding under my bed after panicking that I couldn't find them for half an hour.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I am always worried about losing a bird. My sister lost a finch in her home and found it years later in her shoe!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Haha, they really love getting into small spaces! My conure, Tequila, loves hiding in drawers and she gets son angry and puffed up when I find her and tell her to come out. I even caught her and her best friend (Malibu the cockatiel) hiding under my bed after panicking that I couldn't find them for half an hour.
Who has the bright red tummy and what kind of conure is he or she?

Most Reactions