Should I get my Cockatiel a friend?

tonycgi

Feb 1, 2022
Parrots
cockatiel
Hi Folks,

Last week I lost my Sun Conure Alice, you can probably find my post about her.

I still have a white, supposedly male cockatiel, I rescued from someone who passed away a few years ago.
He will come on my hand once or twice a day, otherwise, if I try to get him to step up he will get aggressive and bite.
I'm not sure if he will ever warm up to me, but I'm interested in suggestions on working with him.
Would the best thing be to get him a companion?

I want another sun conure, and will try to find a rescue bird, but I'm also concerned about the cockatiel being lonely.

thanks,
tony

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hi Folks,

Last week I lost my Sun Conure Alice, you can probably find my post about her.

I still have a white, supposedly male cockatiel, I rescued from someone who passed away a few years ago.
He will come on my hand once or twice a day, otherwise, if I try to get him to step up he will get aggressive and bite.
I'm not sure if he will ever warm up to me, but I'm interested in suggestions on working with him.
Would the best thing be to get him a companion?

I want another sun conure, and will try to find a rescue bird, but I'm also concerned about the cockatiel being lonely.

thanks,
tony
How old is the cockatiel? Sometimes birds won't tame because their past was too traumatic. All you can do is feed him treats, it will take awhile, but with work he could become more tame. As for another cockatiel, only get one if your wanting one, if you do get one it would probably be best to have them in separate cages, but are able to socialize with each other, especially if the cockatiel you have is used to living alone. I'm sorry for the loss of you conure Alice as well.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
I am of a different thought! (As you get to know me, itā€™s obvious!)
A second bird/companion for your little one. For them, even if they dislike each other, itā€™s a good thing!
For you? A nightmare or heaven, or a combination of both! Absolutely plan on caging them separately!

OP
T

tonycgi

Feb 1, 2022
Parrots
cockatiel
How old is the cockatiel? Sometimes birds won't tame because their past was too traumatic. All you can do is feed him treats, it will take awhile, but with work he could become more tame. As for another cockatiel, only get one if your wanting one, if you do get one it would probably be best to have them in separate cages, but are able to socialize with each other, especially if the cockatiel you have is used to living alone. I'm sorry for the loss of you conure Alice as well.
Thank you, zERO
I'm not sure of his age, but I don't think he is very old. He seems to want attention, though he is skittish and afraid to go far from his cage, even if he goes on my hand. I don't really want another cockatiel, but I want him to be happy. I see your other thread, and I question his bathing too.

OP
T

tonycgi

Feb 1, 2022
Parrots
cockatiel
I am of a different thought! (As you get to know me, itā€™s obvious!)
A second bird/companion for your little one. For them, even if they dislike each other, itā€™s a good thing!
For you? A nightmare or heaven, or a combination of both! Absolutely plan on caging them separately!
Thanks David,
I do plan to get another bird, I wasn't sure if it should be another cockatiel.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
OP
T

tonycgi

Feb 1, 2022
Parrots
cockatiel
Deepest condolences for your loss of Alice. Members can view Alice's post here: https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/lost-my-girl-through-stupidity.92730/

Great perspective already posted on potential friend for your cockatiel. Perhaps there's middle ground of attempting relationship reset? Might renew efforts at bonding and building trust: https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/lost-my-girl-through-stupidity.92730/
Thanks Scott,

I'm giving him a lot of attention, and will be reading up on cockatiel handling, hopefully he will get more comfortable with me.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thanks Scott,

I'm giving him a lot of attention, and will be reading up on cockatiel handling, hopefully he will get more comfortable with me.
You can't go wrong trying, even as it can be two steps forward, one step backward process at times! Good luck, keep us updated please!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts