Skin Color on Plucked Cockatoo

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
Boysmom and I were talking about a cockatoo that was plucked and the color of its skin was yellow/orange.

The bird was supposedly, not known for sure, exposed to cigarette smoke for some time. The skin color was blamed on the cigarettes. The bird was placed in a new environment for over 2 years and given a better diet which includes fruit and veggies and Harrisons pellets. The tests for nicotine and any other tests done came back negative and the bird was declared just fine.

Any ideas why the skin is yellow? Boysmom and I have our theory but wanted to hear what others had to say.

Last edited:

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
The skin on my Dominic (Galah) is yellow where it's been plucked, but that's also the site of fatty tumours on his front. The vet says the yellow I can see is fat deposits. I'm talking about a buttery yellow colour. Is that what you see?

OP
M

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
Neither one of us have seen the bird. This bird was brought up in connection with why a bird should not be around smokers. We are trying to find out if this is true.

We were thinking the skin coloring may be related to diet.

Most Reactions