Sleep Issues?

Caitnah

Active member
Joined
Mar 24, 2018
Messages
278
Reaction score
71
Location
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
My Conure is 8 years old. He goes to bed promptly between 7:00-7:30pm. He sleeps in his daytime cage in a separate room (wheeled in from the living room). His cage is 98% covered and he has a small nightlight in the room.
I moved 4 years ago and his room is at the opposite end of the house. I installed a nanny cam (audio only) so I can hear any potential problem during the night.
I suffer from insomnia and am usually up around 3:00a.m. I stay in my room and usually just use my iPad.
It’s 4:30a.m. and I can hear that he is up and playing around a little. This has happened for about the last 6 months. I usually don’t get him until about 6:30a.m.
Sometimes, like tonight (5:30) he seems to go back to sleep as I hear absolutely nothing in his room.
My question is do your birds get up this early? When I get him, he seems fine. He’s awake, chipper and eats well when I feed him.
Am just a little concerned.
 
Last edited:
Our DYH Amazon has been the overnight guard of our home, since he took ownership here. Sleeps very lightly and is alert at the smallest noise. It is common for him to nap multiple times during the day. Hence, he is very sleep sensitive and can be very aggressive during Hormonal Season.

He is clearly the reason, I have a lifetime of working with Amazons as he has tested the depth of my experience.

Each Parrot has their own sleep cycles and assuring that their sleeping area dark and with as little to no noise is very important. Their sleep

Unless you have a food freak, Parrots should have food available fully during the day with them defining when they wish to eat.

As we transition from Winter to Summer here in the Northern Hemisphere and as the days become longer our Parrots sleep patterns change along with it. It is a positive sign when a Parrot wakes up "chipper and eating!"
 
Back
Top Bottom