Sleeping troubles

Jacob1302

Jan 11, 2022
Parrots
Pearly Conure
Recently my 8 month old pearly conure has begun to chirp and vocalize after i put him to bed, i cover his cage, turn off the light and go to a different room until he wakes up the next morning, im worried hes not getting enough sleep, what can i do to fix this behaviour? I was thinking of putting him in a sleeping cage but would that really make any difference?

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
My GCC whom I had some years ago would do this too. He used to make "peep peep" noises at me from under his cover quite regularly, along with the occasional very pitiful sounding whimper when he wanted to emotionally blackmail me to get him out for one more kiss and cuddle! If you are turning out the light and leaving the room, I think it's very likely that he is getting enough sleep. Making chirpy noises after bedtime seems to be quite a common thing with conures, and I suspect you'd find he might just do the same thing if you were to use a sleeping cage. Some of them do enjoy playing on our emotions sometimes :)

OP
Jacob1302

Jacob1302

Jan 11, 2022
Parrots
Pearly Conure
My GCC whom I had some years ago would do this too. He used to make "peep peep" noises at me from under his cover quite regularly, along with the occasional very pitiful sounding whimper when he wanted to emotionally blackmail me to get him out for one more kiss and cuddle! If you are turning out the light and leaving the room, I think it's very likely that he is getting enough sleep. Making chirpy noises after bedtime seems to be quite a common thing with GCCs, and I suspect you'd find he might just do the same thing if you were to use a sleeping cage. Some of them do enjoy playing on our emotions sometimes :)
Thank you so much for the response, this will help me sleep easier tonight!

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
When Syd first moved in I had similar concerns and actually did move him into a sleep cage in a different room. The difference is that now I simply don't hear him. I am aware that he used to word practice a bit like a child does when they go to bed and he still chats as I turn out the light. So I would imagine that he still chats himself to sleep.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
yes just like above, mine would practice words and sounds when first went to bed.

Now at 830pm mine demands to be let out for mommy and me time. She started this by being able to break out of her cage but only at 830 to come to me. So we spend a half hour to an hour cuddling and usually she is very chatting. Then back to bed sbd all is well.

So maybe extend your bed time routine and do some special rituals that you do every time. Burds really enjoy that, and many seem comforted by special bond bed time.

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
If you would like a giggle at my expense here is our bedtime routine. It never varies.
I aim for bedtime at about7.30 - 8.00pm so by about 7 I am saying to him 'it will be bedtime soon so if you want something to eat have it now. Sometimes he goes to his cage and does eat, other times he gives me 'the eye' so I ignore him. By 7.30pm he is giving me a particular call which seems to be telling me it's bedtime, but as soon as I am ready and say - Are you ready for bed? He swoops from wherever he is straight to my shoulder. If he hadn't been in his cage for a while I will put him in telling him to have a poopsie for bedtime I don't shut the doors. Usually he does then straight back to my shoulder for the trip to 'his' bedroom.
He chirrups all the way and I wonder if it's some form of direction a bit like a satnav but of course it's in a language that he has so far failed to teach me. His favourite piece of perch is the only way he will agree to go from shoulder to cage, nothing else will do. If I forget to pick it up on the way I have to go back. He is patient while I correct my mistake though slightly bored. Once in his cage the routine continues. A treat, a song - baa baa black sheep - don't ask. Nothing else will do. If I sing something else he kicks off until I correct the error!
The final act is to cover his cage and for this he makes rapid hops from perch to perch which starts with the first baa. He then climbs rapidly to the highest point nearest to me with beak through the bars for his pretend kiss. Then the guilt trip begins. He starts with 'Good boy baby' several times until I agree that he is. Then he moves on to 'Ok' by which time the cover is properly in place, but as I move to the door to turn out the light and leave him, there comes from the depth of the cage the most plaintive 'I'm sorry baby'. This is the absolute truth and he breaks my heart every 24 hours. :cry:
Tell the scientists to forget the AI, I have already turned into a robot. Another few years and I'll have feathers! :mad: :LOL:

Most Reactions

Latest posts